PDA

View Full Version : Next Mandolin

Hal Loflin
Apr-26-2004, 8:49pm
I am ready to move up a notch from my $300 mandolin. I would love to have a Gibson F5 but can't afford one with one in college and two more to raise. There are too many "next mandollins" to choose from and I do not know any of the brands. I want the F style with solid spruce and carved maple back and probably around the $1,000 range. Any help with name brands and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

mando-in-kingwood
Apr-26-2004, 9:26pm
I was in the same spot last year. Bought a Japanese era (pre 1995 or so) Kentucky KM-700 for $750. Happy with the investment.

Coy Wylie
Apr-26-2004, 9:45pm
Though I've moved on to a nice Weber, I've turned down an opportunity to sell my Michael Kelly simply because it has such a nice tone to it. In your price range they are better than any of the other F styles I've played.

mandroid
Apr-27-2004, 12:28am
MAS: added an extended neck type, with 12th fret out on the neck, after having played old A's which had #12 over the body.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

neal
Apr-27-2004, 5:32am
70/80/early 90's japanese made F's, washburn, alvarez, ibanez, epiphone and kentucky, there are a few on ebay right now, Gruhn has a 70's washburn Jethro Burns model for 800. #They had an epiphone from the 70's for 600 a while ago. #Wonder why these hold their value that well...But, as always, your mileage may vary. #If you have to have an F for under a grand, it's the way to go. Look at add # 9428 and ad #9307
in the classifieds. #NO financial interest here. #There WAS a breedlove quartz OF for 650, and while not an F, was the nicest bargain in the classifieds. #It's on hold. #I have a Morris MF600 from '82 that was MIJ and it's a beaut, but you seldom see these. #The level of workmanship was very high in Japan in these years, heck it is now, but the builders are finally charging American prices.

neal
Apr-27-2004, 6:13am
Another thing to consider, if you want the sound, as well as playability, check out an A style with f holes, unless you absolutely have to have the scroll, you'll find the better value in a good a style, like the gibson A9, breedlove OF quartz, rigel, and a few small builders here on the board. Start a new topic like "Best A style For a grand or under"

nickdanger59
May-04-2004, 5:59pm
Here's an older washburn for sale in the bluegrass north classifieds. $1400 canadian asking that's around 1000 in real money
http://www.bluegrassnorth.com/pages/9/index.htm

neal
May-04-2004, 7:35pm
Well, it's been a few days...any decisions yet? I'm curious.

250sc
May-05-2004, 5:58am
I was recently in the same situation and was leaning towards the Gibson A-9 but I ended up saveing a little more money and got a Colling MT-A for $1700. It was worth the wait.

John Flynn
May-05-2004, 7:25am
For a grand, you could get a top-end Michael Kelly with all the bells and whistles. That would be my choice given your parameters.

dr.jazz
May-16-2004, 4:02pm
Michael Kelly or A-model Eastman would be my choice.
good luck and welcome to MAS. (heh heh heh)

Don
May-16-2004, 4:53pm
This ebay Washburn with a buy it now of $600 is the same model as the Washburn at Gruhn's for $800.

Don
May-16-2004, 5:29pm
Forgot to paste the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....21&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3724567621&rd=1)

Hal Loflin
May-16-2004, 8:59pm
Thanks guys....All of this info was very helpful. I purchased a Michael Kelly. Actually met the president of the company (Tracy Haeft) at Merlefest and after playing several I settled on the MK. It has great tone and Tracy has gone to great lengths to make very high quality, reasonably priced mandolins. It has a great tone and set up and plays incredible. Once again...thanks for your help.

Coy Wylie
May-16-2004, 10:33pm
Good choice. After I bought my Weber, I thought of selling the MK and even had unsollicited offers. It doesn't sound as good as the Weber but it sounds too good to let go. It will remain my backup for now.

Talon
May-17-2004, 1:07am
70/80/early 90's japanese made F's, washburn, alvarez, ibanez, epiphone and kentucky
My Washburn was made in Korea, not Japan.

ira
May-17-2004, 7:15am
congrats- hope it sings for you for a lifetime.

neal
May-17-2004, 2:02pm
Talon, I was refering to the ones made in Japan. #Not quite sure when all these companies moved to Korea, but when they were in Japan, they made 'em real nice, in my opinion. #Could be you have a newer one. #Point is, all of these are now made in China or Korea, which isn't to say that they're POS's, just not like the Japanese ones.

smyrnagc, enjoy enjoy enjoy. Oh, and have fun with it, too.

Talon
May-17-2004, 2:28pm
Neal:
We have a February 1990 Washburn and January 1993 Washburn, both made in Korea, you had said 70's, 80's and early 90's, made in Japan. These are early 90's, can't get any earlier in 90's than this. Maybe you are correct, that they aren't as good as the Japan ones, but evidently you aren't sure of when they moved, so I will be secure that you may also be wrong about the quality of our instruments. We love 'em, and they serve us well, along with our Gibson. Opinions are like......

Zemper
May-17-2004, 8:59pm
If you can spring the extra cash, you can find a used Gibson F9 for under 2 grand and it will blow your mind how much extra sound quality you will get for the extra $, if not maybe a flatiron F style, you should be able to find a festival for 16-1800, and if thats still too expensive you can grab an a style, but I love the F's...

DannyB
May-18-2004, 6:22am
I can finally chime in on the Michael Kelly mando's. I was in Toronto a few weeks ago and stopped in at the Twelfth Fret, which by the way was a great group of guys. I played a MK along side of a Washburn MS6 and a number of other mandos which I'd rather not mention but I was very impressed. I owned a Washburn MS4 for 20 years and I'd have to say the MK just blew the doors off of it. I want a Mando to take to places I don't want to use my Ratliff and the MK legacy deluxe is gonna be it. Wise choice with the MK over the other inexpensive models.....Just my 2 cents....

Albert Whiting
May-18-2004, 10:03am
i caqn't believe the quality of the michael kelly mandolins. they have a radiused fingerboard, good tuning machines, and have a great tone. it absolutely blows me away that they are as affordable as they are. i got mine from mandolins.net. now i have a lebeda premium plus coming from jeff at mandolins.net which i played at merlefest. i am going to keep my michael kelly as a back up.

neal
May-18-2004, 6:12pm
"Maybe you are correct, that they aren't as good as the Japan ones, but evidently you aren't sure of when they moved, so I will be secure that you may also be wrong about the quality of our instruments. We love 'em, and they serve us well, along with our Gibson. Opinions are like......" -Talon

and they all stink, got it. But this board, and the questions offered, tend to squeeze those nasty ol' opinions out of us, eh?

Sorry I offended. I never said they weren't as good as Japanese, just stated a preference, that's all. I truly hope you have many years of service and enjoyment from your washburns and Gibson.

Talon
May-18-2004, 10:07pm
Point is, all of these are now made in China or Korea, which isn't to say that they're POS's, just not like the Japanese ones.
Hmmm, guess it just sounded like you said they were not as good.
Thanks for the apology! I was just defending my property.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Sorry if I was abrupt with you also.

neal
May-19-2004, 5:12pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif