PDA

View Full Version : Any good music stores in roanoke, va?

jim_n_virginia
Nov-03-2006, 8:40pm
Hey yall I'm going to be in Roanoke, VA for a few days when I attend the Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend (Nov 10-12). I'm thinking of hanging around for a day or so after the event and check out the town a bit as I don't get up that way much.

There's a LOT of good music coming out of that way SO... does anyone know of any good music stores out that way, preferable with a big wall of mandolins?

Are there any BG or Old Time jams that will going on Nov 13th or 14th?

sunburst
Nov-03-2006, 8:43pm
Go to the Fret Mill down next to the Market. I haven't been there for a long time, but it was the place in town for acoustic instruments. (Tell Ken I said "hey". He might remember who I am...)

Big Joe
Nov-03-2006, 11:33pm
The Fret Mill is the only one I know of also. Tell Ken that Big Joe said "hey"!

Flowerpot
Nov-04-2006, 12:13am
The Fret Mill is still the place, but I was there over the summer, and in the past few years they've really cut back on the stock of high end mandolins. Ken (the owner/manager guy) said the pricey ones just don't move, but the entry level to mid-priced models (like some Eastmans and many sub-$1k models) sell well, so that's what they are carrying these days. I still like that place, they're good to deal with, but years ago there was always some neat stuff like a used Randy Wood, Dearstone, or a Ratliff, but not now.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-04-2006, 5:12am
and in the past few years they've really cut back on the stock of high end mandolins. #Ken (the owner/manager guy) said the pricey ones just don't move, but the entry level to mid-priced models (like some Eastmans and many sub-$1k models) sell well, so that's what they are carrying these days. #

Oh well I've been looking for a travel and camping mandolin maybe I'll do some indepth A/B studies of the sub 1K mandolins. MK vs Eastman no holds barred!

OK so not many music stores and no jams is there a good resturaunt with some fabulous down home cooking around? I'll settle for that! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JEStanek
Nov-04-2006, 9:57am
Jim,
If you have a group of friends I wouldn't miss a chance to eat at the Homeplace again. Family style (no alcohol) fare that even Ricky would speak highly of. Here (http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kdesrosi/thehomeplace/) is a link to the page. When I went to Virginia Tech (87-95) this was a highlight. Right about now the colors in the Catawba and Valley of Virginia ought to be pretty great.

Another option is Chateau Morrisette (http://www.chateaumorrisette.com/)a wonderful winery in the mountains (kinda close to Floyd Fest area (maybe 60 minutes to an 1.5 hour from Roanoke). Very worth the trip (entres for dinner $21-35). This is the high dining in the mountains while the Homeplace is like eating at your favorite Aunt's table (she'd always let you eat as much as you wanted!).

If only I could pick like I can eat I would be really good!.

Have a great time!
Jamie

mandowood
Nov-04-2006, 10:57am
Gotta second the Homeplace. If I'm within 50 miles of that place, I'm sittin' down for dinner! I was at VT from 94-99, and ate there often. All you can eat, and you can't beat the beautiful drive out there. The homeplace is one of the things I miss most about Virginia now that I live in the Midwest.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-06-2006, 12:37am
OK thats my weekend! I'm doin the Roanoke Bluegrass Weekend, then hittin the Fret Mill, then it's on to the Homeplace for some chow!

Oh yeah I heard that definitely Herschel Sizemore will be at RBW and performing in the All StarShow on Sat night!

That will be a treat for me as I've not seen or heard him yet but had a mandolin playing buddy who is no slouch himself on the mandolin (and hard to impress!), says Herschel is awesome! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Bob Simmers
Nov-06-2006, 8:29am
Herschel will be worth the trip. The cleanest, most thorough picker you'll hear. He plays every melody note perfectly. Slides, hammers, pull-offs are perfect. He is technically perfect, and makes it look easy......minimal hand movement. Right hand is perfect.