PDA

View Full Version : My mandolin

bsmith6
Nov-02-2006, 4:29pm
I'm very new to this community and very new to mandolins in general. This is my first mandolin and I wanted to know what you guys think of it. It was made by a guy named "Clem" Clement who lives in my area. It's carved out of Brazillian Cherry, Maple, and Walnut. Thanks in advance for the comments.

bsmith6
Nov-02-2006, 4:30pm
Here's the back of it:

Eric F.
Nov-02-2006, 4:42pm
If you look at the fancy F models on the Eye Candy page, you'll no doubt see that yours looks a little rough in comparison, but if it sounds good and you're happy with it, that's what counts.

Welcome to the Cafe, and to mandolins. If you're like a lot of us, your first won't be your last.

Soupy1957
Nov-02-2006, 4:48pm
Check out this topic woven all through this Cafe...there's a ton of them devoted to "show us your mando" in here.

Yours reminds me of the finish on my MK Legacy Limited Edition, but I'm sure since yours was built by an individual rather than mass-produced, that yours is much nicer than my MK overall.

-Soupy1957

Eric F.
Nov-02-2006, 4:55pm
I assume the top is cherry? How's it sound?

Bill Snyder
Nov-02-2006, 8:35pm
Brazilian Cherry (Hymenaea courbaril) is NOTHING like cherry. It has gotten to be a commonly imported wood for use in flooring and is also called Jatoba.
I used some for a neck on an instrument I built with my (then 9 year old) son about 1 1/2 years ago. It was ok for that, but it would be an odd choice for the top plate.
If you find it easy to play and are pleased with the sound that is what really counts. The first mandolin (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=17181;hl=small) that I built was made from unusual choices of materials, but it plays, sounds and looks ok.

bsmith6
Nov-02-2006, 9:29pm
I think it sounds good... although I don't have much experience. I like it because it's different from a lot of them I've seen. I also like the look of the wood, I'm more attracted to simplicity than style. Like all musical instruments, the sound is what matters. It's also pretty easy to play and, considering this is not only my first mandolin but also my first musical instrument, I'm happy with my choice. Thank you again for your comments.

mandolooter
Nov-02-2006, 11:24pm
when ya wear it out...get another one...hehehe!

you nailed it...SOUND is the bottom line my friend!