PDA

View Full Version : The "Brother-Style" Duet

mandopete
Apr-26-2004, 10:10am
Another familiar aspect of bluegrass music is the "brother-style" duet. #I suppose the most famous version of this is Bill & Charlie Monroe. #I think the style was pefected by people like the Louvin Brothers and Jim & Jesse and it certainly carries on today with the Gibson Brothers.

So what is it about brothers singing together? #Is it genetics or upbringing? #And what are some of your favorite tunes done in this style?

Coy Wylie
Apr-26-2004, 10:11am
Not physical brothers but you can't overlook Skaggs and Rice in this genre.

mandopete
Apr-26-2004, 10:12am
What about the Rice Brothers?

earthsave
Apr-26-2004, 10:34am
I like the Stanley Brothers mountain style harmonies, but really dig the Monroe Brothers sound and high speed mando.

mrbook
Apr-26-2004, 10:49am
The Delmore Brothers are still my favorite - no mandolin, but great songs and hot picking.

Michael H Geimer
Apr-26-2004, 11:02am
Please ... let us not forget Sara and Maybelle Carter, and their sister duets.

But, for me it's Carter and Ralph singing White Doves.

mandodude
Apr-26-2004, 11:05am
Although these guys are a trio rather than a duet, and certainly not bluegrass, I gotta toss a vote in for Tompall and the Glaser Brothers... those guys must've been born singin' with each other!

mandodude
Apr-26-2004, 11:11am
Hey!... How 'bout Hanson??

C'mon, now... everybody sing...

Mmmmm-Bop....

Garrett
Apr-26-2004, 11:21am
THe Louvins and the Lillys.

Moose
Apr-26-2004, 11:32am
Ah!...the Delmoe Brothers! - Alton and Rabon; at the risk of being redundant(!) I should like to repeat an anecdote re: The Delmore Brothers - The Louvin Brothers were good friends and "fans" of The Delmore's - They(Louvins) recorded "A Tribute to the Delmore Brothers" - which I think is no longer "in print" but IS included in the Bear Family Louvin Brothers CD set. The story goes that before recording the album The Louvins went to Alton(Rabon had since passed on), and asked permission to do the "tribute" - Alton went into another room and came out with Rabon's old Martin Tenor guitar ; he gave it to Ira to use on the forthcoming album. Ira took it home, cleaned it up - AND as I was told, soaked the "old strings" in kerosene. THAT guitar was used to record the "tribute" album(per my conversation with Charlie Louvin some years ago). A wonderful and well-done tribute from one great "brother act"...to another. Thanks for the "head's-up" and the memory(s).. Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

peterbc
Apr-26-2004, 11:33am
Mandodude,
I thought they were sisters?! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

mandopete
Apr-26-2004, 2:08pm
Yes, yes, yes, but what tunes? Two of my favorites are What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul? by the Monroe Brothers and Darlin' Pal Of Mine by the Rowan Brothers (3 of 'em!)

Garrett
Apr-26-2004, 2:36pm
I have to second the Stanleys singing White Dove. That to me is the apex of the style.

GTison
Apr-26-2004, 7:20pm
i like the Del and Jerry McCoury album too.

Apr-26-2004, 7:50pm
Guys what about one of the all time greats. The White brothers! Roland and Clarence White!!!!!!

Scotti Adams
Apr-26-2004, 7:53pm
..The Allen Bros. of Dayton Ohio...best harmony singing ever..hands down..

Garrett
Apr-26-2004, 8:19pm
I love the Whites as well. I guess what stands out about the Stanleys for me is how Carter and Ralph were such different singers and yet their voices had that brother affinity. Carter was all subtelty and art and smoothness and Ralph was THE over the top craggy mountain tenor from the heart of the mountains, and the voices together sound like nothing else.

mrbook
Apr-26-2004, 11:58pm
I haven't seen anyone mention the Blue Sky Boys - Bill and Earl Bolick - yet. Great songs, nice harmonies, and nice mandolin in the background.

jim simpson
Apr-27-2004, 5:46am
I second Scotti's nomination, "The Allen Bros.". I wish there was a complete collection of their recordings on CD. I guess I'll have to start my own.

Martin Jonas
Apr-27-2004, 6:00am
In this style, the Doc Watson/Bill Monroe duo was great (and took much of its impetus from the Charlie/Bill duo). The Smithsonian CD i svery good, but the short show on bluegrassbox.com is even better.

Martin

Scotti Adams
Apr-27-2004, 8:06am
I second Scotti's nomination, "The Allen Bros.". I wish there was a complete collection of their recordings on CD. I guess I'll have to start my own.
..somewhere in my well catagorized tape/Cd colletion (yea right)..Im got probably everything they ever recorded...when I get it all together I will make you a copy Jim...cant promise it will be anytime soon...

mandopete
Apr-27-2004, 8:57am
I guess what stands out about the Stanleys for me is how Carter and Ralph were such different singers and yet their voices had that brother affinity.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing too! #As opposed to duets like Jim & Jesse, the Stanley's voices were very different, but they fit together well. #One of my fav's is Love Me Darling Just Tonight. #A bit smoother vocal style than you usually hear from Ralph, but it's high-lonesome and then some.

I'm having some trouble with Roland and Clarence White, did they record any duet material?

mandopete
Apr-27-2004, 8:59am
Is that Harley Allen (son of Red Allen)?

Scotti Adams
Apr-27-2004, 9:29am
Is that Harley Allen (son of Red Allen)?
yup...

KevinM
Apr-27-2004, 10:06am
The Kitchen Tapes feature brother style duets between Frank Wakefield and Red Allen. Gillian Welch and David Rawlings do fantastic "brother-style" duets, including an acapella "Bright Morning Star" from the Stanley Brothers and "True Life Blues." My overall vote goes to Charlie and Bill, with "Have A Feast Tonight (Rabbit in a Log)," "Long Journey Home," and "What Would You Give" getting personal top honors.

Strado Len
Apr-27-2004, 10:08am
Reno and Smiley recorded many songs in classic "brother style" duets.

mandopete
Apr-27-2004, 10:38am
I guess what I'm looking for is actual brother duets, in that the performers are actually, well, brothers.

When considering pairings such as Monroe/Watson, Rice/Skaggs and Reno & Smiley, what are the characteristics that make one feel it's a "brother" sound?

To me it would be the material, at least in the first two examples as most of that material originated with brothers (Monroe). #But surely it must be more than this. #I think the vocal tonality (genetics) and phrasing (upbringing) must play a part.

I was always impressed by the Watson/Monroe recording and Doc commented that he grew up listening to Charlie and Bill and I believe he must have taken some effort to imitate not only Charlie's vocals, but some of that amazing guitar work as well.

Thoughts?

poymando
Apr-27-2004, 2:12pm
Hi All,
I'll weigh in with my faves!
Monroe Bros
Blue Sky Boys
Everly Bros
Louvin Bros
Delmore Bros
Armstrong Twins
Dixon Bros

Great stuff!!

Bob Sayers
Apr-27-2004, 6:18pm
Blue Sky Boys, Louvins, Everlys, McReynoldses, Stanleys--all great.

Bob

Moose
Apr-28-2004, 9:47am
Still living "legends"... but why has no one mentioned the Osborne's - Sonny & Bobby - who "invented" and perfected three-part BG harmonies (IMHO). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Garrett
Apr-28-2004, 10:54am
The Osbornes with Red Allen was the perfect brother duo, trio.

Moose
Apr-28-2004, 11:16am
AMEN..., brother!!! Thank you. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandopete
Apr-28-2004, 12:00pm
I was waiting to see how it took to come up with the Osborne Brothers. Did Bobby and Sonny ever record any duets?

Moose
Apr-28-2004, 12:25pm
naaa....., they just "invented" the BG "trio" sound.. hee... hee -(seriously, a good question ; my answer would be 'not that I know of'). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Scotti Adams
Apr-28-2004, 2:25pm
naaa....., they just "invented" the BG "trio" sound.. hee... hee -(seriously, a good question ; my answer would be 'not that I know of'). # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
.."they" along with Red came up with the high lead trio as heard in Bluegrass today..to of heard Red tell it it was all his idea....ridin down some country road in West Virginia...Bob and Sonny probably have a different story....huh? Harley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Moose
Apr-28-2004, 2:52pm
Well, THE(!) definitive answer would have to come from Sonny...., wouldn't it!?? --- hee... hee.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Frankmc
Apr-28-2004, 9:48pm
Listen to Chris Hillman and Herb Pederson.... almost brothers.

Frankmc

mandopete
Apr-29-2004, 5:08pm
.."they" along with Red came up with the high lead trio as heard in Bluegrass today..to of heard Red tell it it was all his idea....ridin down some country road in West Virginia...Bob and Sonny probably have a different story....huh? Harley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
Now I had always thought that the 3-part harmony style either started with Bill Monroe and Jimmy Martin or the Stanley Brothers. Are you refering to putting the lead vocal "on top" (with two harmonies below) ?

Scotti Adams
Apr-29-2004, 6:36pm
yup..Pete...the lead would be sung as high lead with baritone and tenor below the lead line....pert near every song Bob and Sonny sings since the Red Allen days have this stack...

EasyEd
May-01-2004, 8:41pm
Hey All,

Can't resist this thread. My vote far an away is for Charlie an Ira. I seriously doubt the Louvin Brothers will ever be surpassed or even challenged however the Osbourne brothers, Jim an Jesse an the Everly's wow... Note that I took particular pains not to mention the Osmonds or the Jackson 5.... Doh!

However if we're speakin of legitimate genetics I'd like to cast a vote for Jeanie an Royce Kendall for genetic harmony. I wore out a kendall's cassette and had to replace it. An Jeanie's voice is easily one of my all time favorites!

Nuff Said! Take Care! -Ed-

EasyEd
May-01-2004, 8:48pm
Hey All Again,

I forgot to mention my honourable mention! The Wharvey Girls! I bet they become stars! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Take Care! -Ed-

Brian T
May-01-2004, 9:46pm
Not blugrass....and not duet, but Larry, Rudy and Steve have some great harmonies. They are and are kn own as the Gatlin Brothers.

Bob Asher
May-02-2004, 12:03pm
Scotti: Over the past few years, i can almost swear that on the
bridge, on some songs, the Osbornes throw the lead to the third singer,
then Bob above on high baritone, and Sonny on low tenor!Looking forward to seeing them here in Hyden in August at our Hometown festival.

mandopete
May-17-2004, 8:27am
.....and for those of you who might be interested, here is my list:

The Monroe Brothers-Long Journey Home-MCA #1
The Whitstein Brothers-You'll Forget-Sweet Harmony
The Louvin Brothers-Knoxville Girl-Bear Family Collection
The Gibson Brothers-She Paints A Picture-Another Night Of Waiting
The Gillis Brothers-Are You Waiting Just For Me?-Ice Cold Stone
Jim & Jesse-Airmail Special-1952 to 1955
The Stanley Brothers-Love Me Darling Just Tonight -Vintage Bluegrass
The Blue Sky Boys-I'm Troubled, I'm Troubled-Farm & Fun Time Favorites
The Rowan Brothers-Darlin' Pal Of Mine-Tree On A Hill
The Rice Brothers-Sawing On The Strings-Rice Brothers 2

KYGirl
May-19-2004, 3:11pm
I may be a little late on this one, but I don't think "The Bray Brothers (Nate & Harley) with Red Cravens" were mentioned. #I have a couple recordings from the 60's of these guys that contains some great mandolin pickin', and tight old time harmonies. #
Good stuff!

Michelle

mandopete
May-19-2004, 5:09pm
How could I have missed the Bray Brothers? Harley even lives here in my neighborhood!

Brian Baker
May-20-2004, 8:26am
Although my personal favorites are the Louvins, Jim & Jesse, and the Rice Brothers, nobody has mentioned the Crowe Brothers (Josh and Wayne) from Maggie Valley NC area...

They have that great blend that you only seem to find with brothers, despite Josh's high and pretty darn nasal tenor...awesome!

Anyone else out there a fan of the Crowes?

Brian