PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone mm-50

Soupy1957
Oct-29-2006, 2:20pm
Does the serial number reveal anything worth knowing about, (I know it does with a Gibson Lloyd Loar) with an Epiphone? How can I find out if there is anything to be known about my Epi from Serial Number: DWO5060022.
Maybe I'm just wasting my time, but I'm just curious is all. the Forums in Epi are all locked up.
-Soupy1957

johnl
Oct-29-2006, 5:08pm
That serial number format tells you when and where your mandolin was made. Here's a site that decodes serial numbers for a variety of makers, including Epiphone: Guitar Dater Project (http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx)

The build info for your MM-50 is:
Deawon Plant, China
June 2005
Production Number: 0022

The Dae Won plant appears to be owned by a Korean company and supplies instruments to several makers. Epi serials that start with 'EE' are made at the Gibson's Epiphone plant in China, but I don't know if they make any mandolins there (I have an MM-30E, but it has a DW serial too). Anyhow, enjoy your Epi!

Soupy1957
Oct-30-2006, 5:36am
Thanks John.......I got an e-mail from a Gibson Customer Service Rep who said that the Serial number indicated a production date of 2005, and the "VS" at the start of the number had something to do with the "Finish" on the instrument.
-Soupy1957