PDA

View Full Version : ? about Grisman's instr. CD set

DMC
Jan-30-2004, 11:40am
I've learned the melodies to quite a few Dawg tunes from the Co-mando files - Typsy Gypsy, Learned Pigs...,O Banion's Wake, Japan etc.

However I find it more difficult to get a hang of the rhythm - in particular the chord shapes. When playing his own style of music does Grisman tend to use bar chords? It doesn't sound like he's using chop shapes.
My question is does he teach the chord shapes and the rhythm patterns on the CD set? Also, does he give any advice on how to build your own variations/solos on his tunes?

Thanks.

SternART
Feb-07-2004, 10:56pm
Yes, I've used the Homespun set to learn a lot of the Dawg standards. Highly recommended.......you learn from the Dawg's mouth. He talks chords, rhythm, and solo ideas etc. to a number of the tunes.

DMC
Feb-12-2004, 7:55am
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to get it.

Tom C
Feb-12-2004, 1:45pm
Great set. No video needed for something put together this good. He talks slowly and explains alot about chords, different rhythms from samba to http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif, tells and plays the notes that you can play over the chords for most parts. Some tunes you just learn the basic melody like Dawg's Rag. On 16/16 he leave you plenty of room to make up your own breaks.