PDA

View Full Version : Weber and cash to trade for F

Tim Saxton
Apr-26-2004, 9:03am
Morning All,

Just packing to head out to Merlefest tomorrow. I was wondering about how to make a trade.

I have a 1 year old Weber Absoroka mandolin and 600 bucks cash. I wanted to trade it for a mandolin back in NC or here on the cafe. Is this a possibility? I am looking for an F mandolin of course. What do you all think I could end up with? Is that any type of fair trade?

Got any thing to trade?

Tim Saxton

pickinNgrinnin
Apr-26-2004, 11:00am
Nothing to trade - just some unsolicited advice:

You would be better off keeping your Absaroka than to trade it + $600.00 Used Absaroka's usually sell for around $1,000.00 some dollars. Flatiron Festival F's have been selling in the 1,800 - 2,000 range but that would be above your budget. Any trade from your Absaroka to a $1,600.00 F would be a step down quality wise IMO.

Tim Saxton
Apr-26-2004, 2:15pm
I wonder if ending up with a reletivly unknown maker would help bring the cost down and the quality up?

Tim Saxton

Nick Triesch
Apr-26-2004, 6:16pm
I think you would be better off to save your cash and then buy a used yellowstone in a year or so. #You can find some great deals right here in the cafe classifieds and in the time being you have a terrific mandolin to play! # Nick:)

John Zimm
Apr-26-2004, 7:16pm
As one who currently covets an Absaroka, I'd hang onto it for dear life. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

Tim Saxton
Apr-26-2004, 7:35pm
yeah you guys may be right I will leave it behind and just take my 600 and buy a Kentucky or MK. That should cure my Scroll envy MAS thingy till later http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Remeber, it's better to be fickle over mandolins and cars than a woman!!

Tim Saxton

Pick-On!

Richard Polf
Apr-26-2004, 8:50pm
Hey, Tim! Hang on to that Absaroka---it's a great mando. Last time we spoke (at Wintergrass Mando Tasting) you said you didn't feel the need for a scroll, i.e., "the world's most expensive strap hanger" (just joking:) ).

Seriously, I sold a Gibson A1 in order to afford an F style, which I never play (I can't seem to get used to the way it balances. Imust be the only one.) There isn't a day that goes by that I don't kick myself for that. But had fallen under the spell of scroll envy. I've seen your Absaroka --- I wouldn't give it up for anything. Have a great time at Merlefest.

Sincerely, Richard
(you know, the "Tacoma" guy)

John Zimm
Apr-27-2004, 10:39am
Richard-

I have that same problem trying to balance my f-style. Right now I rely on the suede strap partially to hold it in place, but I also use a little too much left hand pressure to keep it there, which takes away from playing a bit.

Yeah, once I have a bunch of cash to spend (maybe in ten years or so:) ) I am going to try and snag an Absaroka or similar a-style.

-John.

Mandovt
Apr-28-2004, 12:40pm
Keep the Absaroka!!!! I have one and love it.

Lee
Apr-28-2004, 2:47pm
Might one of those strap-mounted counter-balances help; from Mando Cowboy?

Tim Saxton
Apr-30-2004, 4:01pm
Ok,

Out here at merlefest nad i found a great buy on a Epiphone from the Gibson people. Got it and a hard shell case set up by gibson for 570, so not too bad. The best part is that the money stays right here in Wilkesboro, N.C.

Wow alot of mandolins and fun!!

Will report later

Tim Saxton

Coy Wylie
Apr-30-2004, 4:04pm
So you kept your Absaroka too? Hope so. Good for you!

Tim Saxton
May-03-2004, 3:42pm
I sure did keep it.

I got to NC and played a ton of mandolins and came back with the idea that my weber is really a nice mandolin. Also, Gibson makes a real nice one too.

The highlight was playing a Loar!! WOW. That was a once in a lifetime experiance.

Anyway, MAS is cured temporarily and I get to keep my Weber and have a new strap hanger thingy http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Tim Saxton