PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky waltz.......as played by wsm

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Oct-26-2006, 11:42am
I am in the process of learning Kentucky Waltz utilizing the book “16 Gems”. It was suggested to use a basis to “learn the Monroe vocabulary).

The chords differ from the verse and those utilized in the break; as played by Monroe (transcribed by Butch Baldasarri).

Verse chords:
D/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/G/Gm6/D/B/E/A/D

Break Chords:
D/D/D/D/D/D/A/A/A/A/A/A/A/A/D/D to the bridge D/D/D/D/D/D7/G/G/G/G6m/D/B/E/A/D

My questions:
1. From listening the CD “16 Gems”, I don’t hear a chop on the song. Was WSM strumming?
2. If I was to chop the whole way through-would you stick with the basic chord or the 6ths etc?
3. If strumming, what strum pattern. I have been using (1) strum, (2) up-down, (3) up-down

Your insight is appreciated.

SternART
Oct-26-2006, 5:59pm
I just reviewed that one in Roland White's book. He has the chords like your Break Chords,
but with a G sharp Dim where you have the Gm6......and then all 7ths for the B,E, & A tag to D.

Steve G
Oct-26-2006, 11:24pm
Doesn't Bill Monroe play this in 'C' in his instruction video? Just curious and too lazy to check.

Peter Hackman
Oct-27-2006, 3:28am
Doesn't Bill Monroe play this in 'C' in his instruction video? Just curious and too lazy to check.
His originally recorded version was in D. He later moved it up to
E, which suited his voice better. C would be a pretty low key for
most singers.

Peter Hackman
Oct-27-2006, 3:37am
I am in the process of learning Kentucky Waltz utilizing the book “16 Gems”. #It was suggested to use a basis to “learn the Monroe vocabulary).

The chords differ from the verse and those utilized in the break; as played by Monroe (transcribed by Butch Baldasarri).

Verse chords:
D/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/G/Gm6/D/B/E/A/D

Break Chords:
D/D/D/D/D/D/A/A/A/A/A/A/A/A/D/D to the bridge D/D/D/D/D/D7/G/G/G/G6m/D/B/E/A/D

My questions:
1. From listening the CD “16 Gems”, I don’t hear a chop on the song. #Was WSM strumming?
2. If I was to chop the whole way through-would you stick with the basic chord or the 6ths etc?
3. If strumming, what strum pattern. #I have been using (1) strum, (2) up-down, (3) up-down

Your insight is appreciated.
Why bother with details? Maybe he chopped on Tuesdays, and strummed
on Fridays.
I've seen Monroe
live about ten times and quite often he didn't touch the mandolin
at all while singing.

In other words, do what pleases your ear.