PDA

View Full Version : Eastman vs custom

Eclectic_Enthusiast
Oct-24-2006, 10:03pm
Right now im playing a MK and its served me well, but im looking to move up in the mandolin world so to speak. Is it worth it to buy an Eastman now, or should i save my money and wait a bit longer for the 3-5k custom mandolin.

I know the Eastman's are getting really stellar reviews and offer alotta bang for their buck. My friend got an Eastman archtop 6 months ago and its really opened up and i am duly impressed by the sound. Is this cost effective way a better choice than waiting another year or two for an american made, much more expensive mandolin?

Any thoughts appreciated

tin ben dur
Oct-24-2006, 10:09pm
I would wait on a custom. I started out with a custom Weber bittrroot and I love it. Maple upgrade back and rims. Custom color and gold hardware. I am now in the process of ordering a custom Mowry F. I think these are the best bang for the buck. I am sure Eastmans are awesome but I really like buying american as much as possible. If I were going to buy a Eastman I would buy it from Steve Perry at Gianna's. That way you can send it to him for repairs or fret jobs. Just my .02

mythicfish
Oct-24-2006, 11:02pm
While you're wondering what to buy, your time would best be spent learning to play what you have.
Too many people equate consumerism with musicianship.
Personally, I would never order a custom instrument ... again.
If I can't hear it, how will I know if I'll like it or not?

Curt

Greenmando
Oct-25-2006, 2:21am
I had a MK. I got rid of it and I have a Eastman 804.

Play a lot of mandolins and then make up your mind.

For 3 to 5 K you will have a great choice. Personally I think that money is better spent on stock mandos rather than custom.

Soupy1957
Oct-25-2006, 5:03am
Don't forget to segregate (sp?) "body style" from "sound" as two seperate catagories for considering another Mando.
Don't limit yourself. There may be a Mando out there shaped like a periwinkle, but has great sound. Or it could be shaped in a way that is appealing to you, but sound horrible.
(This is also true for "age" of the instrument
as well).
Not to mention "proper action" and the other construction issues that are spoken of extensively in these threads.
-Soupy1957

Stephen Perry
Oct-25-2006, 6:43am
With that amount of money I'd simply play everything I could on the used market until something really lit up in my hands. Some interesting and effective instruments show up in that price range. Whereas a custom is a difficult thing. Will you really want what you specify in a few years? My tendency on custom work these days is to get to know the builder and vice versa, then just let them do what they think I'd like!

red7flag
Oct-25-2006, 4:21pm
I have gone the custom route 3 times. 2 are on the way. #I do not regret these decisions in any way. #There is something special about making the decision that end up an instrument in my hands. #But, I must say that I would not have done that without the influence of the threads about builders here on the cafe and without the personal contact with the builders. #I also valued going to the builders websites and in the case of the Lebeda and Stanley, sitting and playing a number of the instruments at the booths at both SPBGMA and IBMA. #In the case of the Pomeroy, one of our Cafe members even sound tested the Pom on the phone with me. #So I did not go in blind and had great opinions of the Cafe to help steer me. #These instruments are my babies and their builders are now people I respect.
Tony

bradeinhorn
Oct-25-2006, 4:51pm
how do you know whether or not you regret it if two haven't played them yet???

back to the original theme --- I'm not sure you'll find the amount of difference between an MK and an eastman necessary to justify the purchase... I know people here rave, but in my experience, some are really good but many are fair at best. Why not meet somewhere in the middle and upgrade to something like a collings MT or Gibson A9?

red7flag
Oct-25-2006, 5:02pm
Brad, I have played a number of Stanleys and Lebedas. Could I get a dud? As far as the Stanley goes, at least, not very likely. I have never played a killer Lebeda, but all have been good. In the case of the incoming, I was more talking about the process and the experience of dealing with Chris Stanley and in the case of Lebeda, Jeff Cowherd, the US distributer. I was hoping to meet Jiri at IBMA, but he did not make the show this year. When I get them, I will give a full review of the instruments, upon receipt and after broken in and will post pictures.
Tony

Eclectic_Enthusiast
Oct-25-2006, 5:25pm
I appreciate all the advice. I love the range and breadth of opinions always available on this board. Turns out im gonna be looking at neither of those options. Figures right? I took a trip to mandolin bros. to try out the eastmans, was fairly impressed, but i really was just blown away by the phoenix models. I played a phoenix (not sure which model, i think the bluegrass one) vs. two or three higher priced collings, soem webers, and even a few gibsons and was surprised to find the phoenix outplayed all of them. The tone was incredibly full and sweet. It just about knocked my socks off. So looks like im waiting just a lil bit longer and going with the phoenix.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MandoSquirrel
Oct-25-2006, 5:33pm
Congratulations, and welcome to the fanship of original designs versus Gibson copies!
(love my Breedlove)

steve V. johnson
Oct-25-2006, 5:33pm
Yep, for the money you mention you could have a Phoenix. Very nice instruments.

I've had a bunch of custom instruments and I love the process. I also love learning music three ways: Learning the instrument, learning the music and learning about the instruments. I try to balance these three in my 'studies' and practice, and reading things written by luthiers and stuff here about and from them is a really pleasant part of my 'work'.

I think that the satisfaction of working with a luthier is just wonderful and even buying a really first-class instrument 'off the rack' isn't as exciting or satisfying to me as having one built to my ideas. BTW, I tend to leave off decoration and I end up with very plain-looking ones, but I mess with other aspects of the instruments having to do with how they will feel and sound.

Fine instruments often require less physical and mental effort to achieve the music you want to make, too, so for my $.02, I recommend that, however long it might take you, do your research, keep on playing and learn about what you want and what the fine luthiers around can do with instruments.

Enjoy,

stv

Chris Biorkman
Oct-25-2006, 6:01pm
I purchased a Phoenix custom bluegrass model a couple of months ago and I love it. So much so that I recently sold my F5-G, something I never thought I would do a couple of months ago.

Mteresko
Oct-25-2006, 7:50pm
Get on the waiting list of someone you like (maybe a year to two?), save your cash, and play what you've got. An Eastman would just be treading water.

By the way, I've tried a couple Phoenix's at Gryphon, and thought they sounded great. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Ted Eschliman
Oct-25-2006, 9:57pm
Phoenix is a terrific choice, especially since it seems to have already "spoken to you." Rolfe sent me a Phoenix "Jazz" model to do a review on a couple years ago; I couldn't give it back. I bought it, and now it's may main stage "go to" instrument.

You will not regret this choice.

moku9
Oct-26-2006, 9:51am
I'm a MK owner and while I'm very happy with it I decided to make the jump to a custom made instrument.

I figured if I'm going to spend any amount over 1k, I'll go with an American made mando from a respected luthier.

Lee
Oct-26-2006, 12:04pm
Pick out a couple in the Classifieds that interest you and I'm sure we'd all be glad to tell you are opinions about them. At the $3K level there's a varnished BRW, at $2300 a Phoenix Bluegrass with a 1-3/16" wide nut. The $1250 Ratliff is probably worth a second look at.

Philip Halcomb
Oct-26-2006, 1:00pm
I own an Eastman although it's a nice instrument and I picked it up real cheap, if I was saving to buy a new instrument I would save a little and go for a custom, or find a nice gibson or something.

Keith Owen
Oct-26-2006, 1:03pm
Well within your price range, and with the ability to customize however you like, would be a Newell, either A or F.

I love my Newell F. LOVE IT. And Keith was a pleasure to work with.

Just my 2 cents...

Dagger Gordon
Oct-26-2006, 2:00pm
I recently bought a Collings MT, and it's really great. It's easily in your price range.

I bought it in TAMCO in England, where there is a great selection. They had lots of Eastmans, various Czech builders and all sorts of things.

In the end, this particular Collings stood out for me, but I was intrigued by the Phoenixs he had. They were a bit different and I certainly liked them.

If you're not in a rush to get another mandolin, I would go to a shop with a good selection and see what they have. Go with an open mind. If you're not sure, just wait. Eventually you will find what you want, and you will know it.

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-26-2006, 2:09pm
Another option if you decide that you want to go custom: upgrade now to a used instrument. That way, someone else has already taken the hit in depreciation in case you plan to sell it when you receive your custom axe.

Lee
Oct-26-2006, 5:33pm
Yes, my point exactly. Go used. "Catch and release" a few times so you can live with a different mandolin for 6-months or a year. At this point, I'd be surprised if you really know what will be your final "keeper".

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-26-2006, 5:54pm
...At this point, I'd be surprised if you really know what will be your final "keeper".
Does such a mandolin exist? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

cooper4205
Oct-26-2006, 9:30pm
...At this point, I'd be surprised if you really know what will be your final "keeper".
Does such a mandolin exist? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif
yea...the next one http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

metalmandolin
Oct-26-2006, 9:49pm
I LOVE my Eastman (615 #166 x-brace). This particular mandolin stands up well with any. I have a friend who owns two Dudes that really likes my Eastman. A good Eastman has more bang for the buck than anything else out there at this point. But...if money were no object, I would strongly consider Collings. I find them to be very consistent, more so than any other builder that I've tried.
I say again that MY particular Eastman stands well with anything I've played or heard(that's why I play it<g>.) Ratliffs can be exceptionally good, also Silver Angels, and especially Stivers. I think Gibsons vary too much from one mando to the next, but the best Gibsons probably are the best mandolins. I'd like to try Phoenix, being a big fan of the old Unicorns. Isn't there a Derrington-signed A5L in the classifieds? That would be interesting.
All said, do consider Eastman. If you find one you like, they are an insane value. I've played mandolins with everyone's name on them that I didn't like...that's not an Eastman thing.

metalmandolin
Oct-26-2006, 9:53pm
Oops..maybe I just imagined an A5L, or it sold.

Brad Weiss
Oct-26-2006, 10:14pm
I went to Mandolin Bros too, interested in a Phoenix, but prepared to let any of the others move me. #Played everything - twice - over the course of several hours. #Went home and ordered this Phoenix Europa Neoclassical. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=27482;st=0) No regrets. #If you've played it, and you liked it, THAT'S what you want.

Course, I've also ordered a Mowry, so you can WANT even more...!!

Eclectic_Enthusiast
Oct-26-2006, 10:34pm
Had a similar experience to yours brad. Played all of them, (alot fit into that tiny room) and was just astonished by the phoenix. After playing so many at that store, ive decided that eastmans, well impressive just arent worth the upgrade, if i caan spend just a 3rd more and get something so stellar. Now i just gotta make it final

Thanks to all for the help

One day i will give into my custom desires, but for now i feel the phoenix will suffice. One day, i will wield an anderson bleach white beauty, or so i dream...

Many thanks,
Nate

LKN2MYIS
Oct-27-2006, 9:57am
"An Eastman would just be treading water."
You might just find a difference of opinion on that statement.

Mteresko
Oct-27-2006, 11:15am
Of course this is just my opinion, but having tried several Eastmans hanging on the wall at Gryphon over several visits, I never found one that had the tone of the Phoenix mandos I have tried. If scroll envy is not an issue, I think that a Phoenix would be a serious upgrade over an Eastman, granted at a much higher price.

LKN2MYIS
Oct-27-2006, 12:27pm
True about most manufacturers. And, tone is a VERY subjective thing, or we'd all have the same mandos.

At Mandolin Bros. I tried 3 of the same model Martins, and they were HORRIBLE. The 4th was great.

Hey, there are even bad Gibsons out there . . . . . . . .