PDA

View Full Version : Compton workshop in fl

fishdawg40
Oct-24-2006, 2:13pm
I'm a lucky guy. #I'll be at a Mike Compton worshop on Nov. 11th in Waldo, FL. #I spoke with Jim Richter and he basically said to prepare is to listen to a lot of Monroe and get ready to be blown away by Mike's playing. #I had a feeling already that I'll be highly impressed, to say the least. # #

Has anyone ever been to a Compton workshop and is they're any way I can "cram" so to get most out of my experience?

Thanks,
Joe

Edit: #Info for the worshop is here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_00473.shtml) on the Cafe.

johnwalser
Oct-24-2006, 6:50pm
I only attended the one hour workshop Mike held at SuperGrass last year and wish I had brought a tape recorder and recorded everything said. He is either the finest teacher of mandolin or I was temporally devoid of the alcohol induced stupor that normally attends my brain, but I came away understanding how to add complexity and texture to the music I play. My musical tastes were greatly expanded and I am still working on the things I learned that day. I've attended lots of workshops and this was the first time the light came on.
John

mandolinrick
Oct-24-2006, 7:12pm
Joe,

I'll see you at the workshop. I haven't been to a Compton workshop, but I did have the pleasure of seeing Mike and David at the House of Jam in Jacksonville. And they are both incredible musicians! And Stomp is one of my favorite CDs. So I'm sure it'll be a great workshop.

Rick Torzynski

Amandalyn
Oct-24-2006, 7:16pm
I have hosted and was an attendee to one of Mike's workshop. I'm helping to put the word out on this one in Waldo- they really need participants for it not to be cancelled- so anybody you can get to attend will help.
As far as what to expect- Mike talks alot about Monroe's philosophy and attitude which influenced his style. Don't expect alot of "hot licks". It's more about pick control, timing, and feeling. Mike will answer all questions and he tries to guage his teaching towards the level the students are on. He's pretty laid back, but powerful and serious about what he teaches.If you can video or audio tape it, there's alot to absorb. Mike is supposed to play on stage with some of the groups at the festival. You won't be disappointed.
Teri http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

good_ol_al_61
Oct-24-2006, 8:53pm
I'll be there, too. My wife said we could spend our anniversary week there (#19). We'll set up the RV Wednesday night and break camp Sunday morning. I attended the workshop Amandalyn spoke about (with David Long, also). I was most impressed and it still sticks with me the different rythym sounds that can be produced with the mandolin. By changing emphasis on the beats and changing the down/up strokes, the different sounds in the background rythyms can be only limited by the player's imagination. Mike can do them all. Truly impressive.

fishdawg40
Oct-24-2006, 9:27pm
...I came away understanding how to add complexity and texture to the music I play. My musical tastes were greatly expanded and I am still working on the things I learned that day. I've attended lots of workshops and this was the first time the light came on.
John
Well if I wasn't excited before I sure am now. #

Thanks for the info all..

Amandalyn, thank you for getting the word out. #It looks like we have 4 attending from this thread (you'll be there, right?). #I surly hope this doesn't get cancelled. #How many do we need for it not to?
# # #

Also, it'll be great to meet some fellow Florida Cafe members there.

MandoSquirrel
Oct-24-2006, 10:43pm
I live in Southwest Florida, & am wondering about checking if I want to attend the workshop only, & not the whole festival. Anybody know if & how that might work? I know, the simple/obvious thing is to contact the contact, just curious.
Also, where is it? I found no map or directions at the site?

fishdawg40
Oct-25-2006, 5:33am
Where's Waldo (couldn't resist)? #It's just north of Gainesville; Waldo (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=waldo&state=fl&zipcode=). #

I'm not able to attend the whole festival either. #I'm just going up for the workshop.

MandoSquirrel
Oct-25-2006, 5:14pm
Ha,Ha!
Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll look into it, A Compton workshop in state seems to good to pass up casually.

Oh, I just noticed the Cafe story has a map. Silly me! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Amandalyn
Oct-25-2006, 5:53pm
You can attend the workshop without going to the whole festival. It's at Dixieland Music Park, on Rt 301, across from that big flea market. It will be in a private room. As far as the minimum people needed- 15-16 would be ideal. I'm not sure if they will cancel if there's less, but if you guys are willing to pitch in alittle more to keep it going, that would work. Ernie Evans is in charge, I'll try to get more info from him. I hope to be there. Never can get enuff of Compton or David Long, they both are great.
Teri http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Cheryl Watson
Oct-25-2006, 6:59pm
I have attended a Compton/Long workshop. I really loved it. My brain was really reeling with info and ideas and inspiration when I left. Some hot licks were included in the examples and yes, there was a lot of info about Bill Monroe. Mike got to the core of what inspired and influenced Bill Monroe (which includes Black Blues). It is almost like taking a tour through the master's brain.

I learned three major things about playing the Monroe style (and a whole lot of details).

1. Mike and David demonstrated the picking hand technique used to rhythmically play double stops; Mike showed, I believe, 3 distinct variations using examples and talked about how to attack the strings, how to warm up and avoid injuries, how to hold the pick and the mandolin, relax and yet be in control, etc. Then he showed how to mix in notes (runs based on arpegios and blues notes) and how your mind fills in what Monroe left out which are implied notes.

2. He explained and demonstrated "playing through the strings" which gives a fuller sound than a fast run of single notes. It really struck me as to how great a solo instrument a mandolin can be when played this way because the rhythm is in there as well as the melody. You don't always play through the strings, of course, and Mike demonstrated this very well.

2. He demonstrated how he keeps his picking hand moving most of the time in order to get the fluid feel of the Monroe style along with all the little and often subtle variations in timing, technique and dynamics, how to vary your tone by playing up and down the strings, and how to get more volume without tensing up and sounding stiff.

Watching Mike and David play up close, I noticed how relaxed they played and yet in control of the strings at all times. He and David know how to make their mandolins talk. Monroe style is complicated, and yet very doable.

Mike and David took questions and there was a lot of interaction between them and us.

Since that workshop, I have become more relaxed when I play and I play with lots more flow and more rhythmically. I "get it" now too and I am certain that I am progressing.

To prepare, I would really listen to any of Mike's CDs with David Grier, the Nashville Bluegrass Band, John Hartford, and definitely Stomp with David Long. Listen for all the little change ups, the dynamics, how he keeps his picking hand moving at all times with variations, and the full sound he gets playing through the strings.

I would think of two questions that I have that might specifically target my personal struggles with playing the Monroevian style. I think I asked about sliding double stops.

Definitely record the workshop. Our workshop was video taped with their permission.

And one more thing, don't sit behind someone taller than yourself so you can really watch him play http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Have fun! I hope this workshop will be a go.

Cheryl

fishdawg40
Oct-26-2006, 8:37am
Thanks for that in depth report Cheryl.

One question, how does one going about recording a workshop? I'm guessing you'd have to use a digital recorder? I don't know much about them. Anyone know a good one for this type of situation?

Amandalyn
Oct-26-2006, 10:37pm
Here's the details for the Compton seminar at Don't Get Above Your Grazin Fest,Waldo FL www.dixielandmusicpark.com
They are as follows:

Saturday, November 11th, 2007
1-3 day pass to all concerts workshops and performances during the festival
2 hours of Mandolin instruction to a small up close, personal and intimate class
Time: 10:00am till 12:00noon
Tuition is: $60.00 each person
There is a private area set up indoors for the session. Only paying participants will be able to view and or enter the facility.
Please show up no later than 9:30am for registration
Mike will be allowing any participant that wants a private one on one lesson to be arranged directly with him. Please email him at taterbugmusic@gmail.com to arrange your personal session.
To register for the workshop contact Ernie Evans at (904) 886-8378 phone
(904) 545-3079 mobile, email: ErnieEvansMohawk@aol.com

MandoSquirrel
Oct-26-2006, 11:12pm
Thanks for the info, looks like there's a lot going on that weekend, & between paychecks & peak bill payment time. I'm still thinking about it, though.

fishdawg40
Oct-27-2006, 5:47am
Thanks Amandalyn, I just got the email from Ernie this morning. I'm pretty psyched about this. It'll be my first workshop. It's amazing how accessible our mandolin heroes are. I emailed Mike a few questions about the private lessons. Anyone take any from him before?

Amandalyn
Oct-27-2006, 8:37am
Fishdawg, I had a private lesson w/Mike. We worked on 2 songs that I knew and he showed me some ideas I could use for those tunes. He also made suggestions about pick control, rhythmic techniques, and double stops. It was very insightful, the time just went too quickly. If you have questions or a certain area you want to work on I'd focus in on that.

johnnymando
Oct-27-2006, 1:54pm
I've attended 3 Compton classes and have had 2 private lessons with Mike.
Mike Compton is the closest thing to Monroe.Period.
My first class was in 96 at Augusta Heritage week. He opened the door to Monroe style playing for me...the constant pick movement,sliding notes up and down, and many very cool licks.
He understands the essence of Monroe, the feel that different Monroe compositions were meant to convey or at least Mikes interpretation of what Mon was saying.
And he's truely a nice guy.

John D.

johnhgayjr
Oct-27-2006, 3:03pm
I've been in 3 different workshop settings with Mike but have never had a individual lesson. #

As stated above, Mike knows Monroe. #He can play it like almost nobody else. #He also has some good methods for teaching it. #In the classroom situations I've been in with Mike, he picks fairly well known tunes and walks you through them sections at a time and then ties the sections all together. #Stuff like Honky Tonk Swing, Evening Prayer Blues, Monroe's Blues, lots of the "Old, Lonesome" instrumentals Monroe did.

I've come away thinking that much of what Mike taught didn't sink in but then later I find that I remember much more than I thought. #Kinda of like trying to take a sip from a firehose - you'll get blasted with info.

I think you'll find you wish the class was much longer than 2 hours. #Be sure to listen to lots of Monroe and Compton before the workshop to git yo' mind right!

John Gay
Memphis

fishdawg40
Oct-29-2006, 2:47pm
Thanks for the other insights guys/Cheryl.

I think I might be taking a private lesson with Mike. It will be an expensive day but I think it will be well worth it. I've had Stomp in my player non-stop recently and have broken out some old Monroe records, as well as the Bush teaches Monroe DVDs. I've been working on Panhandle Country and it seems like that tune is right down Mike's alley. Is that a Monroe tune? Also, on Stomp is Mike the lower voice? It seems like it.

The more I listen to Mike the more his/Monroe's style is intriguing me. It's interesting to hear this style out of the context in which is was originally made. The juxtaposition of the "technological age" (or which ever you'd like to refer to it as) and Compton's playing really blows me away. Still, Compton brings with him the experiences of living in such an age to the old-time music and that, I believe, is why this music is pulling me in. But maybe that is why a lot of us choose to listen to music of days long gone in general.

2pointfreak
Nov-14-2006, 11:15am
Hey! Fishdawg40!

Did you take the private lesson from Mike? How did that go? I enjoyed the workshop but had to get back home in a hurry for prior commitment. I think the one thing that helped me the most right hand rythm and attack. Tony

fishdawg40
Nov-16-2006, 11:12am
Hey Tony,

The lesson was great. He's the man! We went over some fiddle tunes and how I could incorporate the different rythmic accents into the melody lines (and might even have to change the melody to have it fit). I was a little tongue tied, my nerves were hopping all over the place. So I didn't get to express what I really wanted out of the lesson. He said I was too vague, which is very correct.

It was a highly inspiring experience and will definitely do this again. Mike is a really cool and honest guy. His playing is fluid (at least that's how I see it). Other than right hand technique, which will take years to really incorporate into my playing, I think Mike showed me to be more creative and expressive. Try something different, don't just play Old Joe Clark the same way every time. I think he got me out of my box. His passion was inspiring as well.