PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass history

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 11:19am
Revisiting Darryl's thread and all of those great pictures motivated me to check out something I have been meaning to do for a few years. #I was listening to Fred Bartenstein's radio program a while back and he was talking about King Records and songs that were recorded there. #Turns out the location of King Records was in Evanston, Oh., a Cincinnati suburb where I attend Xavier University. #I have driven by this spot a hundred times, but I googled King and got the address- 1540 Brewster Ave, Cincinnati ,Oh. On a forgotten dead-end street, in a rundown part of Cincinnati I found the once ice storage building and now HVAC duct manufacturer where King Records and the recording studio were located. #Some of the songs that helped define Bluegrass/mountain music were recorded here:

Grandpa Jones - Ol'Rattler

Reno & Smiley - Using my Bible For A Roadmap
# # # # # # # #Hear Jerusalem Mourn
# # # # # # # #I Know You're Marrid

The Stanley Bros. - White Dove
# # # # # # # # # #Rank Stranger
# # # # # # # # # #How Mountain Girls Can Love
# # # # # # # # # #Clinch Mt. Backstep
# # # # # # # # # #Mountain Dew
# # # # # # # # # #Midnight Ramble
# # # # # # # # # #Love Me Darlin' Just Tonight
# # # # # # # # # #Man O' Constant Sorrow
# # # # # # # # # #Oh Death

An exhaustive history can be found at www.bsnpubs.com/king/kingstory

Other famous artist including James Brown doing Papa's Got A Brand New Bag were recorded here.

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 11:23am
I was poking around outside, it looked like no one was there, but someone came to the door and let me in

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 11:27am
The young man who answered said someone had mentioned to him a while back that James Brown had recorde a song upstairs, but he had no idea what this place used to be.

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 11:29am
another inside shot

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 11:35am
King was founded by Syd Nathan , who was trying to capitalize on the market for Bluegrass/Mountain music in the Dayton and Cincinnati area. The Appalchian migration to this area, (which included my parents from Eastern Kentucky), was a result of the abundance of industrial jobs and the hope of a secure future.

Thanks for Looking.

Scotti Adams
Oct-23-2006, 11:48am
Great stuff Mike..thanks!

Willie Poole
Oct-23-2006, 1:23pm
Mike were there any ghost lingering around in there? This being close to Halloween the fellow that let you in might have been one, can you say for sure?
....Willie

mikeh
Oct-23-2006, 1:52pm
Actually, it was a little spooky. I debated about putting that point in my post, for fear of sounding corny...but it really did sort of feel like "hallowed ground" in there