PDA

View Full Version : Kimble and dudenbostel

barry
Oct-22-2006, 4:57pm
After years of waiting on their respective lists, these two instruments were started 4 months apart. I followed their contruction weekly. They were completed within one week of each other and arrived on my doorstep on consecutive days. Talk about serendipity. The Dude D-28 arrived on a Thurday morning and the Kimble F5 arrived on Friday afternoon.
Yes, I remember having a fine weekend.

F5G WIZ
Oct-22-2006, 5:16pm
Somebody's been a very good boy! Nice instruments, for sure to increase in value over the years!

Chris Baird
Oct-22-2006, 5:51pm
Congratulations, Certainly looks like a fine pair of instruments.

Ken Waltham
Oct-22-2006, 6:04pm
That Kimble really looks "right".
I'm impressed.

SternART
Oct-22-2006, 6:04pm
YOWZA!!!

Daniel1975
Oct-22-2006, 6:40pm
Whoa! Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Any other pix you happen to take would be appreciated!

barry
Oct-22-2006, 6:43pm
more Kimble...

barry
Oct-22-2006, 6:47pm
Kimble back

barry
Oct-22-2006, 6:48pm
Headstock...duh....

barry
Oct-22-2006, 6:50pm
for you scroll rubberneckers.....

barry
Oct-22-2006, 6:52pm
one more..

Chris Biorkman
Oct-22-2006, 6:55pm
I hate you. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bill Halsey
Oct-22-2006, 9:00pm
Lovely, Barry -- Bravo! May they be forever joined at the lower bout... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Glassweb
Oct-22-2006, 9:05pm
I agree with our brother Ken Waltham... that Kimble F5 does indeed look "right"!
Play on!

F5G WIZ
Oct-22-2006, 9:06pm
Is that a varnish finish on the Kimble?

F5G WIZ
Oct-22-2006, 9:07pm
I live within an hour from Will, he did some setup work on my mandos. Bet I seen yours when it was in progress.

Joe Dodson
Oct-22-2006, 9:27pm
Wow Barry. Congratulations. I'm tempted to report you to a moderator or something. That just ain't fair.

So, what are you going to do next weekend? Stradavarius? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Brady Smith
Oct-22-2006, 9:31pm
Not to try to open up a bag of worms (especially around all that wood), I'll whisper....

whispering....doesn't gibson have a copyright on that logo?

F5G WIZ
Oct-23-2006, 2:48am
doesn't gibson have a copyright on that logo?
You only have to change it a teeny weeny bit.

Gibson A5
Oct-23-2006, 6:43am
They are great looking. The only problem I can see is, How are you going to play them BOTH at the same time???
Bill P.

barry
Oct-23-2006, 6:44am
....."Is that a varnish finish on the Kimble?" ....

Yes. #It is an oil varnish finish that is completed with a French Polish. #I don't believe Will Kimble has ever used anything but varnish on his instruments.

BTW The top wood is red spruce and the back and sides are sugar maple. #

And, yes, it does look "right". #It also plays and sounds "right". #It has the "correct" playability and string tension. #That "springy" Loar feel and sound comes through when you really get cookin' on it. #The headroom and broad dynamic range that the old ones are known for is all in there. #You can make it roar when you give it the gas, or play it with a light touch and watch the notes cascade out of the F-holes like diamond drops.
Gushing done for now.
b

F5G WIZ
Oct-23-2006, 7:31am
And, yes, it does look "right". #It also plays and sounds "right". #It has the "correct" playability and string tension. #That "springy" Loar feel and sound comes through when you really get cookin' on it. #The headroom and broad dynamic range that the old ones are known for is all in there. #You can make it roar when you give it the gas, or play it with a light touch and watch the notes cascade out of the F-holes like diamond drops.
Quite a nice discription!

Glassweb
Oct-23-2006, 9:46am
Yes, I love that description too... "springy" and "diamond drops" are superb. I like to use "wooden bells" when I describe the Loar sound. Anyone else?

ronlane3
Oct-23-2006, 10:13am
I know it's not mando content, but could you please post more pictures of the Dude guitar?

Wesley
Oct-23-2006, 1:09pm
Did Mr's Kimble and Dudenbostel colaberate on the sunbursts? They look like a matched set.
I would guess the only confusing part of your weekend would have been which one to pick up first.

JimRichter
Oct-23-2006, 4:15pm
They look great. And considering that Will considers Lynn a mentor and inspiration, it's more than accurate to refer to the instruments as "fraternal."

Will's really hit his stride as a builder. That F5 should indeed be a powerhouse. I've owned three Kimbles and all--including the one I own now--have been superb. But I am in genuine envy for any of you getting the current crop. Congrats!

Jim

Lynn Dudenbostel
Oct-23-2006, 4:36pm
I got to play Barry's Kimble and it's tremendous! I agree with Jim about Will hitting his stride. The overall quality... fit, finish, and tone, are all top notch!

Lynn

JimRichter
Oct-23-2006, 4:42pm
And, coming from a guy who is "top notch," that's saying a lot http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim

Cheryl Watson
Oct-23-2006, 4:52pm
Barry,

You done good! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Those two instruments look so nice together; like cousins.

I own a Kimble F5 and it is now four years old and the notes just pop right out--full, fat, clear tone with an immediate response and playability 2nd to none. Seems to almost play itself. So just wait until you break it in...

My Kimble LOVES D'Addario JS74s so you owe it to yourself to at least try a set of those strings--And, they are easy on the fingers and last a LONG time.

Can't say I own a Dude guitar, but I love to ogle and google them http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

Cheryl

JimRichter
Oct-23-2006, 5:16pm
Actually, one of the sets of strings that work incredibly well on a Kimble and are highly recommended by Will are the silk and bronze strings from GHS. Given my ongoing hand problems (recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel) Will and me talked quite awhile about set up, string choice etc. to maximize tone while minimizing discomfort. Will really pushed the silk and bronze on me and I love them. But, then again, I always had a fondness for Monel wounds or silk and steels for mandolin anyway. The sound of bronze with less string tension--and they last forever!

Jim

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-23-2006, 5:35pm
Is D-28 the actual model designation for this Guitar? If so, with all the names, numbers one could use to designate a Guitar, it seems odd that Lynn would choose D-28 for this particular Guitar. I always thought D-28 was a Martin model. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Bradley
Oct-23-2006, 7:11pm
Thats a Beautiful Mando !!

I was lucky enought to pick up a Kimble a little over a year ago, and haven regretted one minute of it. Mine likes
exp74's but I might try the GHS strings. I used the Silk and Steel for years and really liked them.

barry
Oct-23-2006, 7:23pm
"...I know it's not mando content, but could you please post more pictures of the Dude guitar?..."

Hmmm. Well, Lynn also builds mandolins..........therefore....We have mando content!!!!

barry
Oct-23-2006, 7:25pm
"Is D-28 the actual model designation for this Guitar? If so, with all the names, numbers one could use to designate a Guitar, it seems odd that Lynn would choose D-28 for this particular Guitar. I always thought D-28 was a Martin model."

Sorry. I was wrong. I refer to any Rosewood D as a D-28. The label clearly says, "Classic D"

barry
Oct-23-2006, 7:26pm
To complete the mando builder content...

fwoompf
Oct-23-2006, 8:17pm
You could chop down trees with those axes. My goodness.

Eric F.
Oct-23-2006, 8:43pm
My goodness, indeed. Wow.

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-23-2006, 9:28pm
That's a fine looking Guitar!

sgarrity
Oct-24-2006, 12:26am
It's not fair. It just ain't fair I tell ya! That is certainly a stunning pair of instruments.

Mario Proulx
Oct-24-2006, 12:36am
Very, very nice pair! OTIS material, for sure! Congrats..!

Yonkle
Oct-24-2006, 1:01am
I got a lump in my throat! "Springy Loar feel,notes cascadeing from the Fholes like diamonds,really roaring when you give it the gas, I can't stand it! Send it to my house! Jd

ronlane3
Oct-24-2006, 8:36am
Barry, I know he builds Mandos too, but I haven't ever seen one of his guitars. Thanks for posting. Enjoy both for a long time.

Lynn Dudenbostel
Oct-24-2006, 10:13am
Just to clarify... "D-28" doesn't appear anywhere on that guitar. It's labeled as a "Classic D".

Dude

Cheryl Watson
Oct-24-2006, 10:35am
Jim, I'll have to try some GHS silk and bronze strings on my Kimble, maybe my LaPlant also. I remember stringing up an old Gibson '24 F4 for a friend with those strings because they gave a nice fat tone but with less tension.

Thanks,

Cheryl

nickster
Oct-24-2006, 12:06pm
Mighty fine looking instruments and I bet they sound as good as they look. Congrats on a fine investment.

Nick

Laura Leder
Oct-29-2006, 11:19am
Cool Mandolin Company (http://www.coolmandolin.com)

Congratulations! I know they'll bring a smile to your face every time you pick them up!
Laura http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif