PDA

View Full Version : Mid-mo out of business!

GDAEb
Oct-21-2006, 8:11pm
I ordered a mandolin directly from Mid-Mo (Mike) in middle August; it was made with rosewood back and sides, and it is a very beautiful instrument. Very happy to own it. Most importantly, it has a rich and open tone.

I returned to Mid-Mo's site this evening, to look into a mandola. Much to my surprise, in bold lettering it was stated that the company was in suit and out of business.

To me, this is just terrible. #

I already have the flat-top mando I was looking for, fortunately. But it feels strange to have such a new instrument and discover, less than sixty days since it arrived at my doorstep, that the company is out of business.

The rest of the post deleted by Moderator because of inappropriate content.

kww
Oct-21-2006, 8:20pm
Being sued by an insurance company usually has little to do with Chinese competition. It will be interesting to see what the story is when information starts to leak.

There are still decent Mexican mandolins to go with your Canadian guitar, BTW.

GDAEb
Oct-21-2006, 8:30pm
Post deleted by Moderator because of inappropriate content.

Jim Garber
Oct-21-2006, 8:38pm
It is sad to hear of another brave mandolin company with a different slant than most to go out of business this year, along with Rigel. Of course, out of the ashes of Rigel we hear of a new venture that Peter Mix is involved in. Perhaps the same will happen with Mid-Mo.

There are some fine flattops out there still. Bill Davis and Arches comes to mind at reasonable prices for truly handmade instruments. There are prob others as well.

Jim

Elliot Luber
Say it ain't so! Nice solid instruments. Tight woodwork. Good sound. Good value.

arbarnhart
Rook,

I think you are jumping to some wild conclusions that are contrary to the little information available. The site says that a suit brought by an insurance company is the problem. It doesn't say anything about the businecss climate. Mid-Mo was one of the few companies that did price out well against offerings from anywhere. #The site says the whole story will be posted soon; there isn't a lot of point in debating assumptions until that happens.

Jim Garber
Oct-21-2006, 8:51pm
Here is a thread about another maker of fine flattops who is active on our site here, Don Kawalek (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=35535). He also makes some wonderful kits and teaches a class in making mandolins and OMs.

Jim

Ted Eschliman
Oct-21-2006, 8:59pm
The Message Board does not allow profanity (including text character tricks to hint at profanity) or racism. If the topic can't be discussed decency and self-control, it won't be discussed at all. This is a great way to lose Cafe privileges very fast.