PDA

View Full Version : oval hole mando

bjc
Apr-25-2004, 12:18pm
Hello,

Just trying to get a little feedback/opinion information...and thanks in advance this is a wonderful forum:

I play mando in more of a blues/jazz/rock style and I recently bought a mandola. The oval hole in it seems to give it much more volume (though it has to be more than than hole itself since my OM isn't loud at all) and it "voices" real well in my duo project...Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an oval hole mando that's $1000 or less...just trying to get some info here...I played a MK and enjoyed it, but I like to get some opinions...thanks again

ira
Apr-25-2004, 12:38pm
www.kennaquhair.com standard is with a pickup and custom case

atetone
Apr-25-2004, 1:02pm
bjc, in my limited experience "volume" is as hard to describe as "tone".
Volume in an oval hole is to me different than volume in an F-hole.
My 1915 Gibson A has great ringing volume on open chords but very little volume on barre chords. On single notes it has good volume also to my ear.
On the other hand my F-hole mandolins do not have the same type of ringing volume but have more cutting power which to me is a different kind of volume.
I play alone so prefer the oval hole sound which is fuller and more rounded but I am not so sure that it is louder. Does this make any sense?
Anyway back to your question- I really like the old Gibson A sound and think that in the $1000 range you might be able to find a decent one.
The other one that I am toying with is the Breedlove Quartz oval hole. I had a Quartz f-hole which I thought was very good. Great neck.
I haven't played one though, so I am not sure, but I am assuming that they have it right with the oval also. I want to try one out to see. They are in your price range. Have you seen any of them in your neck of the woods that you could try out?

Eric F.
Apr-25-2004, 4:21pm
I played a Weber Hyalite with what Weber calls a D hole a couple of weeks ago. It was $1,040 and worth every penny. Warm, sweet, loud, with a fabulous amount of what I can only describe as presence. Everyone in the store came over to see which mandolin it was that sounded like that, and everyone noticed how fine it sounded.

bjc
Apr-26-2004, 6:11am
Eric,
where did you get your Webber? And what types of tunes are you playing with it? Thanks

Jim M.
Apr-26-2004, 10:35am
You can get a new Breedlove Quartz OO oval-hole for less than $900. I played one at Gryphon recently (www.gryphonstrings.com) that is a great one. There was an Eastman oval-hole also that was quite nice. It cost a bit more than the Breedlove but has a more traditional look. I'd take the Breedlove though.

jiffyfeet
Apr-26-2004, 12:33pm
I used to have a Breedlove OO. They are great, mine sounded wonderful. I still play a Breedlove but I got a KF because I wanted the F holes. My OO was used when I got it and I believe I paid $700 for it.

Chip Booth
Apr-26-2004, 12:53pm
I work for Sunburst Guitar Gallery (http://sunburstguitargallery.com)and we have a Breedlove OO demo (that means new with warranty, played but no visisble wear) with a factory installed Shertler pickup that sounds great. #$850.00 with factory bag. #Email me at chip@jupiterstudio.com if you are interested.