PDA

View Full Version : Evan marshall clip

cooper4205
Oct-19-2006, 8:15pm
you've probably seen this before, but i was pretty amazed by it. i've never seen anyone go that high on the fretboard (except apollon). is this the style of music that he is known for? i have heard mention of him as a good mando player but that is rediculous, i've never been one for classical on any instrument but there's no way you can't like this.

William Tell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCIJPCbAO1U)

Daniel Nestlerode
Oct-19-2006, 8:48pm
Glad yet another person has discovered Evan Marshall. Look him up on Amazon, he's got a couple of discs out doing pop tunes & light classical stuff in this style.

Right now Evan is living in the LA area working on breaking into the classical performance field. Last I heard (end of June) he had an offer of a real gig with an LA area orchestra. I'd love to get him up here to Modesto.

Daniel

Ted Eschliman
Mar-05-2007, 3:31pm
Time to resurrect this thread with another recent and amazing Evan Marshall YouTube vid. Makes you scratch head and go, "That boy got some serious chop!"

Vivacissimo for Mandolin and Orchestra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNJcKxt9Evo).

JAK
Mar-05-2007, 4:02pm
Okay, so I thought Chris Thile was in a "world of his own," but me thinks Evan is there too. Anybody know what kind of mando he is playing?

newbreedbrian
Mar-05-2007, 4:10pm
He plays a Gilchrist.

mandowood
Mar-05-2007, 4:56pm
Sorry if this has already been covered, but is there an advantage to tying the strap to the headstock? I followed a link fryoutube to a few clips of Evan and Scott Gates and they both have their strap tied that way. Just curious if it helps at all...

Jerry Byers
Mar-05-2007, 4:59pm
I thought everybody played their mandolin like this. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

James P
Mar-05-2007, 5:37pm
Where'd he find the tab for that??? #

Sonomabob
Mar-05-2007, 5:50pm
That is really a great rendition. I seriously thought that was at least a duet until I saw the name.

fatt-dad
Mar-05-2007, 7:41pm
Just take two seconds out of either of those clips and I wouldn't be able to play at that level. I'm not even sure how to practice to get that good - wow, that was incredible!

fatt still-trying-though-maybe dad

Nolan
Mar-05-2007, 8:17pm
Sorry if this has already been covered, but is there an advantage to tying the strap to the headstock? #I followed a link fryoutube to a few clips of Evan and Scott Gates and they both have their strap tied that way. #Just curious if it helps at all...
I asked him the same question and he told me he likes the way it balances better.

The first time I saw him at Disneyland (of all places!) I thought the same thing, "There is nobody in his league!"

On a side note, at the midnight mandolin thing at Wintergrass I did notice that Thile can play Duo style like Evan Marshall. The Brazalian fellow (Hamilton?) plays a lot of duo style as well.

swinginmandolins
Mar-05-2007, 8:22pm
Speaking of practicing that good. Evans book Duo Style A-Z is an excellent book(NFI), even if duo style isn't your goal. It will teach you how to varry a melody, perfect your tremelo, Skip strings, thirds(great for double stops) and that is just for starters. It in notation with tab and comes with a cd so you can hear what it could sound like. You don't even have to practice very fast. In fact I have been practicing fairly slow through this book for about a year and it is a major factor in my improvement, that and FFCP but that is another topic. Evan is one of the greats of our time.

Gotterdamerung
Mar-06-2007, 10:48am
Evan Marshall is truly amazing. I have to say, though, that I was less and less interested in the music the more I listened to him, even though I was always (and still am) blown away by the technique. Progressively, the music lost its interest for me. That being said, I would jump at a chance to see him play live.

On another note, when I first heard some of Evan Marshall's arrangements, I was astonished, but then I heard Radim Zenkl play. Radim's duo style is second to none, and he can even play mandolin with a pencil.

Peter Hackman
Mar-06-2007, 11:01am
I'm sure Zenkl can play without a mandolin, or at least without strings.

I'm very impressed with that William Tell thing (you can watch him play
it over on Mandozine); it's extremely musical - are all the variations
in the original composition?

Unfortunately the Tchaikovski concerto
isn't that great - it always saddens me when a composer puts
so much work and competence into the making of boring music.
The playing, of course, is inspired.

Pete Braccio
Mar-06-2007, 7:41pm
Evan was at last year's Mandolin Symposium. He was phenomenal.

As part of his evening concert/workshop he stated that he still practices hours each day. I believe that he said that it took him months to score "Billy Tell" for the mando and he did this at the suggestion of his brother.

This was the best part: for difficult pieces of music, he will learn the piece both forwards and backwards! He then proceeded to rip through a complicated piece in a loop pattern. Forward to the end, back to the beginning, forward to the end, backward to the beginning, etc.

It was more than a bit unworldly.

Pete

mandolooter
Mar-06-2007, 8:00pm
[QUOTE]This was the best part: for difficult pieces of music, he will learn the piece both forwards and backwards! He then proceeded to rip through a complicated piece in a loop pattern. Forward to the end, back to the beginning, forward to the end, backward to the beginning, etc.

Thats where I screwed up...darn...coming soon to a venue near you!!!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

MandoSquirrel
Mar-06-2007, 11:19pm
Speaking of practicing that good. Evans book Duo Style A-Z is an excellent book(NFI), even if duo style isn't your goal. It will teach you how to varry a melody, perfect your tremelo, Skip strings, thirds(great for double stops) and that is just for starters. It in notation with tab and comes with a cd so you can hear what it could sound like. You don't even have to practice very fast. In fact I have been practicing fairly slow through this book for about a year and it is a major factor in my improvement, that and FFCP but that is another topic. Evan is one of the greats of our time.
Totally agree, I've been working with Evan's book for a few months now, & I really believe it will help a player improve 'most everything.

Gotterdamerung, your comment on Evan's music describes my perception of Chris Thile. Technician, but completely uninteresting.

Soupy1957
Mar-07-2007, 5:51am
What struck "me" was the background noise in the initial YouTube link in this thread.

I suppose the folks there didn't really appreciate who they had performing for them. They sounded rather "busy" in the background with their own conversations.

Dang shame that folks get disrespected like that!
-Soupy1957

Peter Hackman
Mar-11-2007, 9:13am
Gotterdamerung, your comment on Evan's music describes my perception of Chris Thile. Technician, but completely uninteresting.
I don't think his singing is very technical ...

MandoSquirrel
Mar-11-2007, 5:12pm
Well, I guess I'd agree, as a "singer", Thile's not even much of a technician, let alone interesting.