PDA

View Full Version : Bluehrass breakdown - foggy mountain breakdown

Dan Cole
Oct-16-2006, 9:06am
Given how similar these two songs are, I was just curious if anyone had every played it as a combined piece as joke. For example; the banjo player starts off with Foggy Mtn, then when the mandolin player takes a break he plays Bluegrass Breakdown (using the F instead on Em).

Would that be too hard? Would it sound stupid?

I have heard Foggy Mtn Braekdown caused a bit of a riff beteween Monroe and Flatt & Scruggs because of it being basicly the same tune and F-S made a million on it,

Can anyone confirm that as tune or myth?

Dan

Scotti Adams
Oct-16-2006, 9:25am
..and if you listen close to Flatt & Scruggs version of FMB..Flatt doesnt use a E minor.... pulls a regular E chord...wonder if ol Flatt knew how to do an E minor...

AlanN
Oct-16-2006, 9:35am
LOL.

Also, Jimmy Martin was known to not use them 'fancy chords', like Bm, in Lost Indian.

Dan Cole
Oct-16-2006, 10:31am
I knew that on the E - Em thing. Interesting piece of Trivia.

Dan

Dean Henderson
Oct-30-2006, 11:12am
Given how similar these two songs are, I was just curious if anyone had every played it as a combined piece as joke. #For example; #the banjo player starts off with Foggy Mtn, then when the mandolin player takes a break he plays Bluegrass Breakdown (using the F instead on Em). #

Would that be too hard? #Would it sound stupid?

I have heard Foggy Mtn Braekdown caused a bit of a riff beteween Monroe and Flatt & Scruggs because of it being basicly the same tune and F-S made a million on it,

Can anyone confirm that as tune or myth?

Dan
<span style='font-family:comic sans ms'><span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:navy'>In an interview of Earl Scruggs, conducted over a couple of years by Tony Trischka and Bela Fleck, in the October 2006 issue of Banjo Newsletter, Earl stated that he wrote both tunes. #Earl (actually his wife Louise) stated that Bill Monroe put his name on any tunes written by a Bluegrass Boy, and Earl was with Bill when he wrote Bluegrass Breakdown. #I'm sure Monroe was angry about F&S's success with # Foggy Mountain Breakdown.</span></span></span>

Dan Cole
Oct-30-2006, 11:27am
I knew someone would have the answer! Thanks,

Dan