PDA

View Full Version : Compton on youtube

Steve Cantrell
Oct-15-2006, 11:30am
Cool video of Compton on YouTube. Not a lot of views so far so I thought I'd throw it out there.
Jenny Lynn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjecEywRBLk)

skippy
Oct-15-2006, 11:46am
Ya know.. I wonder if there would be a way that we could band together to encourge, financially, the time to make more of these videos. I for one find the ability to watch someone like this up close and also hear what they are doing very helpful. And if Mike would be willing to put together training videos like this, it would be a neat thing. (Mike is an excellent teacher)

Peter Hackman
Oct-15-2006, 12:00pm
open tuning?

stevem
Oct-15-2006, 9:01pm
Great clip. I wonder if that A5 ever sold. He had it listed for a great price. The sound is fantastic in this clip.

Fred Keller
Oct-15-2006, 10:16pm
The A5 (the Prodigal, right?) had not sold as of Sept 24--the last time I spoke to Mike about it. It's on consignment at a place in...NY I think. Can't be sure.

mingusb1
Oct-16-2006, 7:09am
Nice clip!

But be advised, you don't get much mando content if you search "compton" on youtube!

Z

mandopete
Oct-16-2006, 9:37am
What is the "sawmill" tuning?

adgefan
Oct-16-2006, 9:58am
I believe AEAE. Here's some more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZBXcZ-tg3I

AW Meyer
Oct-16-2006, 12:05pm
The Prodical is at thr Twelfth Fret, in Toronto.
12th fret (http://www.12fret.com/used/index.html#MAND&BANJ)

mando.player
Oct-16-2006, 1:43pm
I'd be interested in putting my money where my mouth is. Of course doing something like this might cut into other income streams that Mike has (workshops,lessons,etc). A DVD lesson or set of lessons might be cool too. Maybe something with David Long and Mike teaming up.

Fred Keller
Oct-16-2006, 3:28pm
I'm not the "Lorax" for Mike or anything, but I don't think it betrays any confidence to report that--from what he's said to me--Mike has less-than-enthusiastic interest in doing a lesson DVD. He does have a lot of fun doing in-person lessons, both group and individual.

I know he hasn't given up on the webcam lesson thing because he sent out a blanket email to those interested saying that it's still in the works. He's experienced some catastrophic computer issues lately.

I don't mean to shoot any idea down because I've never learned more than when I can watch Mike and David work--the right hand technique is astounding to me. I'd pay money for a series of concert videos, to say nothing of lessons. I just know that Mike has expressed to me on more than one occasion that he just doesn't get fired up at the notion of recording a lesson DVD.

My $.02.

Fred

JimRichter
Oct-16-2006, 4:49pm
The idea of a DVD has been in Mike's head for sometime; however, anyone who knows Mike knows that he puts a lot of thought into anything he does and he's not going to half-a@@ a DVD just to have product out there. #Someday, there may very well be a formal lesson DVD, but it'll come when Mike produces the product he feels best represents him.

I can say that there is a "lesson" DVD of sorts that Mike Stangland put together some years back of Mike at Kaufman Kamp. #It is a video of Mike's full lesson plan as well as Mike playing several Monroe tunes. #The deal with the DVD is that it is shared freely, but you make a donation to Mike ($10, $20, $30--whatever you think it's worth).

If anyone would like to get that DVD, I can assist you.

Jim

bradeinhorn
Oct-16-2006, 5:25pm
any more info in playing in sawmill?

Steve Cantrell
Oct-16-2006, 6:26pm
If you want a good Compton Seminar on playing Monroe, you definately want to get in touch with Jim. Very informative--well worth the effort.

Loren Bailey
Oct-16-2006, 6:49pm
I'd love a lesson on his right hand technique. Awesome.

Loren

evanreilly
Oct-16-2006, 9:50pm
Here is Mike playing Frog on the Lilypad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex_RSzCiiPc&mode=user&search=)

fwoompf
Oct-17-2006, 12:32am
I can't be the only one that thinks it's totally sweet that one of my mandolin idols is posting videos of himself on youtube, right? I mean, shoot, Mike Compton is awesome!

In fact I'd love to see other artists do the same...the technology is out there folks, and it's certainly not going to hurt any artist, large or small, to use it.

-fwoompf, who received Stomp in the mail today, loving it.

sgarrity
Oct-17-2006, 1:18am
Absolutely awesome. Thanks for posting those Mike!

mandopete
Oct-17-2006, 11:04am
Mike - you da MAN!

Fred Keller
Oct-17-2006, 11:50am
Watching Mike's right hand reminds me of a Simpson's episode...

Marge: See all those wires, Homer? That's why your robot never worked

Steve Cantrell
Oct-17-2006, 5:25pm
The right hand is impressive, but the economy of motion in the fretting hand is the real tough one. It looks like I'm waving at someone by comparison.

bradeinhorn
Oct-17-2006, 6:21pm
from mike himself - (i just went ahead and emailed him)

Brad,
I just take most any tune I that's in A or G and fool around with it. Even tunes that are in other keys work well. There's things in those tunings that just can't be gotten to in standard. According to some info that I got from Evan Marshall at the Mando Symposium, mandolin players used to twist the keys more than they do now. Alternate tunings were more the rage, especially that AEAE. Just play with it and see what you come up with.
MC

David M.
Oct-19-2006, 4:12pm
Kenny Baker played "Jenny Lynn" in standard tuning. Cool Compton videos.

jim_n_virginia
Oct-28-2006, 10:36am
What is the "sawmill" tuning?
Don't know if it's right or not but I have heard the term over the years a few times and I kinda thought it meant open tuning and you could only play with two fingers.

I guess the reference is of someone who works at a sawmill who has lost a few fingers.

And I used to see a guitar player at a jam I used to go to who did work at a sawmill and had only his thumb, index and ring finger and it was also so funny when he was playing and someone new would try and follow him on the guitar because at first you didn't notice he was missing a few fingers.

AND he was pretty good too!

Markelberry
Nov-18-2006, 3:10pm
GO TATERBUG!!!