PDA

View Full Version : Pomeroy two-point in progress

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:10pm
This is after the first week of working on it. Don had some setbacks this week, but is on track nonetheless. He's right on schedule, and it's looking great.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:22pm
Okay, I give. I resized my images, but they're still in Bit Map. Any tips on how I can uplaod the images in bitmap, or change the format of the images? I'd really like to share these pics with ya.

Bill Snyder
Oct-14-2006, 3:33pm
What programs do you have access to?
If you are using the paint program that comes with Windows go to file then Save As then at the bottom of the drop down menu where it says Save As Type click the arrow and choose JPEG.
That gets it into a postable format, but not necessarily a postable size.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:42pm
Got it now. Thanks!

Rough top and back:

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:44pm
Carving the spruce:

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:46pm
Finished top:

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:48pm
Tone bars and F holes. Mmmm, tasty:

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:49pm
Rims:

Kevin Briggs
Oct-14-2006, 3:50pm
Anyway, that's about half of what Don so kindly sent me. The others involve some of the inbetween steps. These basically show the end of each thing he did, except for the first carving the top pic.

That tiger is looking good on the back. Dang right!

Kevin Briggs
Oct-17-2006, 11:50am
Anyone check out these pics? Thoughts?

Chris Biorkman
Oct-17-2006, 5:02pm
Looks nice. What kind of finish are you going for? I don't think people give two-point mandolins enough consideration. I have a Phoenix two-point and love it.

Kevin Briggs
Oct-17-2006, 6:01pm
I agree. Talk about unique, a nice two-point is a rare find. I was seriously considering a Phoenix at first. Pheonix is the whole reason I even wanted a two-point to begin with. They are just a little steeper than what I have to spend. Don Paine (Pomeroy) has really given small builders a great name. The price is great, his work is great, it's just great.

I'll be going for a finish kind of like the Sam Bush Model finish, but a little more purple in the burst. The dark edges of the finish will blend into B/W/B binding all around.

Chris Biorkman
Oct-17-2006, 6:19pm
Sounds great. My experience with Rolfe really opened me up to small builders. I think you can get much more for your money if you buy from them. After getting used to the Phoenix, the fingerboard extension on my F5-G drove me so nuts that I just got rid of it and put myself on Andrew Mowry's waiting list for a new F-model. I like the idea of having something built to my own specifications.

I really like the Sam Bush style sunburst. What kind of top is that I see in the pictures?