PDA

View Full Version : Pete seeger's bridge

s1m0n
Oct-13-2006, 9:08pm
http://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/images/leibovitz_am/fullsize/al_1449.jpg

Here's a closeup of Pete Seeger's banjo, which someone posted to another forum. What has me scratching my head is that bridge. What's going on? Does his bridge have buttresses or some sort of outriggers?

Jacob
Oct-14-2006, 12:42am
You might get more information here. (http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/)

EdSherry
Oct-14-2006, 5:54pm
Yes, his bridge does have "outriggers" as you mentioned. #If I recall correctly, he discusses his bridge a bit in his "Incompleat Folksinger" book (OOP). #

I know that he acquired the bridge from an independent builder, but I don't know if they are generally available for sale. #I confess that I haven't run across them in any of the acoustic instrument shops that I frequent.

glauber
Oct-14-2006, 8:44pm
I love his "Home Depot Special" strap hanger too.

What a guy.

s1m0n
Oct-14-2006, 9:03pm
Pete's one of the giants, IMO. He's been a class act all his days.

garyblanchard
Oct-18-2006, 5:31pm
Pete Seeger stirred my interest in folk music, banjo, and helped me to begin to form my own opinions about issues of the day in the mid 1960's. While most of my friends were listening to Rubber Soul, I was listening to Pete Seeger Live at Carnegie Hall. Whether you agree with him or not, he has always stood up for his beliefs and has at times paid the price for doing so.

I never noticed that bridge, though. I know I like to have a mellow-sounding banjo and imagine that the "outriggers" help to make the banjo less bright. I'll have to try to learn more. Actually, I can't find any info on this at Banjo Hangout, but will start a thread.

mandroid
Oct-19-2006, 11:19am
Bridge less likely to fall over that way, lose that 'just right spot' there are simpler commercial no tip ones ..

AlanN
Oct-19-2006, 11:52am
That banjo has a long neck, longer than Olive Oil's.

Ken Berner
Oct-19-2006, 12:15pm
Yes, and if I am not mistaken, it was an original; Pete spliced to the existing 5-string neck to make it longer. Open it is in the key of "E". Both Gibson and VEGA got onboard the folk train and produced a Pete Seeger Model. I think the Gibson model was RB-175 and I've seen them on e-Bay lately for over $4,000 (and less).

David M.
Oct-19-2006, 2:06pm
Looks like a coupla chicken bones stuck through the bridge...

Givson
Nov-06-2006, 11:09pm
Years ago Frets magazine had an article on how to make your own replica of Pete's bridge, and the theory behind the bridge design. If I am not mistaken, it is made out of electrical printed circuit board.

Jim Garber
Nov-07-2006, 9:25am
Yes, and if I am not mistaken, it was an original; Pete spliced to the existing 5-string neck to make it longer. Open it is in the key of "E". Both Gibson and VEGA got onboard the folk train and produced a Pete Seeger Model. I think the Gibson model was RB-175 and I've seen them on e-Bay lately for over $4,000 (and less).
Another interesteing fact -- I believe this is the case -- is that John D'Angelico did the neck extension. His shop was in Greenwich Village and, like many builders of the time, did repair work as well.

Jim

otterly2k
Nov-07-2006, 10:27am
Pete's one of the giants, IMO. He's been a class act all his days.

I couldn't agree more. He is one of my heroes and epitomizes integrity. Someday, that banjo should be in the Smithsonian... although Pete would probably prefer that some other musician take and use it... but like Excalibur... who would be worthy to wield it? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Red Englemann
Nov-09-2006, 3:51pm
What's going on?

Thanks for the photo, I love seeing an old tool well used. I have always loved old timey simple stuff, but now it is a passion.

As for the bridge, it ain't gonna fall over is it.

red

8ch(pl)
Nov-10-2006, 5:09pm
That banjo was stolen a few years back. The thieves dumped it at the side of a highway near Pete's New York home. Aanother found it and turned it in to the Police, I believe and then it got back to Mr Seeger.

Great songwriter, activist, musician.