PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually enjoy it?

JLee
Oct-12-2006, 1:43am
I have been playing mando for 2.5 years and for the longest time I never knew about the importance of changing strings. That was until a good friend of mine told me how often it should be done and he took the time to show me how to do it. Well the first time I did it on my own I hated it and got so frustrated that I had to finish it the next day! You have no idea what kind of clever ways I have to come up with to get the right tension on the strings as I restring them. I particularly despise those slippery A and E strings!! To top it off, for some reason the back of my right wrist will hurt for days afterwards. I'm assuming that is from the cheap winder I use to wind up the strings. But seriously this last time... it was a week ago and my wrist STILL hurts! At least it doesn't affect my playing but it bothers me when I type or workout or do other things. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

I am now able to recognize when my strings are wearing out and I really love how my mando sounds right after I re-string it. And this second time was a bit easier than the last. I'm hoping it only gets easier the more I do it. But seriously, I would rather get a root canal than re-string my mando!! Makes me wish I could just drop it off somewhere and pay someone to do it for me. LOL

So I'm just curious, does anyone actually LIKE to re-string or not mind it so much? Am I the only one who has wrist pain? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandroid
Oct-12-2006, 1:59am
Its like , well sorta, painting your house, after its done its an admirable improvement.
The locking with a pass back under the string is the trick.
and an occasional tetanus booster is a good thing in general... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Bertram Henze
Oct-12-2006, 3:16am
It's more like presenting one's girlfriend with new underwear - it's fun all the way.
But seriously - it is a job that takes time and therefore gets better if you learn to enjoy it. If operating the winder hurts, it is probably done too fast, and with too many string windings around the posts. Here (http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html) is a good description of all the Dos and Don'ts about mandolin restringing.

Bertram

adgefan
Oct-12-2006, 3:51am
The first few times I changed the E strings I snapped them all and I have quite a complex about that now. Even though I've mastered the technique I still get terrified on the last few turns of the top strings to bring them up to pitch. Quite an adrenaline rush, actually, as I wonder if I'll still have both my eyeballs left at the end of it all.

Jerry Byers
Oct-12-2006, 4:13am
A good string winder is the key to success. After a couple of changes, it will become second nature.

kww
Oct-12-2006, 5:53am
I don't see what the fuss is about. When I did it the first time, I was expecting a nightmare. Took 15 minutes and nothing broke. I don't own a string winder, and don't understand why you would use a machine to put three turns of wire around a post.

DryBones
Oct-12-2006, 6:11am
yep, I actually enjoy it. kinda like washing the car by hand. giving some personal attention to something you love.

AlanN
Oct-12-2006, 6:16am
To each his own, but I never use a string winder. I only put about 1.5 turns on the thing, hardly makes sense.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-12-2006, 6:28am
I agree absolutely with 'adgefan'. Every time i re-string,i cringe while i'm cranking up the E strings. I broke a couple early on through not geting the windings round the binding posts properly aligned & now i'm totally sure they're going to snap every time i change them.
Do i enjoy changing strings ?. NO !!!. It's like Frank Ford says,it's job that need 3 hands - but i like the effect after,
Saska

Bertram Henze
Oct-12-2006, 6:47am
There seem to be many people who break their strings when tuning up. This reminds me of the time I played tenor banjo with original tenor tuning CGDA, the A string operating slightly beyond the elastic stress range, thus breaking at approx. every second tune-up. Ok, that lowers the percentage of blood in the adrenaline, but you get used to it or do something about it.

In fact, you don't need to get used to it, because if a string breaks regularly, there is something wrong (indicated by the spot where it breaks), and that can be taken care of, whatever it is.
If there is some sharp edge - smooth it. If the scale length is simply too big for the string - use lighter strings. Search the Cafe for string break threads. The thrill of owning a mandolin is supposed to come from playing, not from scary maintenance.

Bertram

Jerry Byers
Oct-12-2006, 7:06am
To each his own, but I never use a string winder. I only put about 1.5 turns on the thing, hardly makes sense.
The string winder is not for the 1.5 turns or 3 turns - it speeds up the process when taking up the slack.

Also, the winder gives me some leverage when trying to turn the small buttons with a high gear ratio.

Using a string winder is a personal preference - there is no need to discount its functionality.

tree
Oct-12-2006, 7:17am
It is a relatively easy and fun woodworking project to make your own string winder (much more fun that actually changing strings). #It is a rare string change if I DON'T poke a hole in one of my fingers getting the old strings off. #I approach string changes by doing one side at a time, and take advantage of the opportunity to wipe down the mando really well. #The best part is when I'm done, and manage not to break a new E string, and have all the strings stretched out and holding their pitch really well. #Then I really enjoy playing a clean mando and hearing the ring of new strings.

AlanN
Oct-12-2006, 7:19am
Do I even respond....hmmm....yes.

You account for its functionality, I do not. If you don't care to hear others' opinions on the thing, why did YOU mention it?

Bertram Henze
Oct-12-2006, 7:21am
The string winder is not for the 1.5 turns or 3 turns - it speeds up the process when taking up the slack.
I suspect this boils down to how much slack does one use - the 1.5 or 3 turns are for those who hardly allow any slack in the first place.

I used to allow plenty of slack and wind it all up with a winder, but I slowly decrease my slack now with every restringing, using the kinda-knot technique shown here (http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html).

This seems reasonable to me, since what holds the string is not windings-around-peg metal-on-metal friction anyway, so more windings hardly add any force. Instead, the hole in the peg holds the string by it's bent edges.

Some day I'll probably get rid of my winder altogether.

Bertram

JEStanek
Oct-12-2006, 7:34am
I also use only the 1.5 turns around the post (frets.com style) for the G and D courses. The A and E get some more. It is an anxious time but I like having the time to clean the mando up and enjoy the new strings alot when the settle down.

Jamie

John Flynn
Oct-12-2006, 7:42am
Well, I guess I am a real shlub, because I not only use a string winder, I use a string winder on an electric screwdriver! Why? Because when it comes to mindless drudge tasks, I let technology do it. It's the same reason I send emails instead of snail mail and I use a calculator when I could work it out with a pencil.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fiddler
Oct-12-2006, 7:48am
Changing strings is great fun. Sometimes I do it even when the old set is still OK. After I get a new set on I'll sometimes take it off and put it back on again, just for the heck of it. It's really one of my favorite things, along with installing operating systems, going to the dentist and paying taxes.

Jerry Byers
Oct-12-2006, 8:20am
Do I even respond....hmmm....yes.

You account for its functionality, I do not. If you don't care to hear others' opinions on the thing, why did YOU mention it?
Hey Alan...I wasn't intending to slight you. I simply was stating that some of us do use a string winder - even if there are only 1-3 wraps of string. With my tuners, I have to turn the button many, many times just to get one wrap - the winder makes it an easy job. Sorry to offend.

Jerry Byers
Oct-12-2006, 8:22am
I suspect this boils down to how much slack does one use - the 1.5 or 3 turns are for those who hardly allow any slack in the first place.

I used to allow plenty of slack and wind it all up with a winder, but I slowly decrease my slack now with every restringing, using the kinda-knot technique shown here (http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html).

This seems reasonable to me, since what holds the string is not windings-around-peg metal-on-metal friction anyway, so more windings hardly add any force. Instead, the hole in the peg holds the string by it's bent edges.

Some day I'll probably get rid of my winder altogether.

Bertram
I use the same technique that you quoted. The slack that I was referring to is what is shown at that link. I tend to hold up the string about 1-2 inches just below the nut - this gives me about 2 wraps.

AlanN
Oct-12-2006, 8:26am
Of course, Jerry. I even have a *very good* one that a friend made for me. It is perfect, right down to not-too-deep/not-too-wide button 'bucket', which is made from hard rubber...no scratchee...

You say To-may-toe', I say 'To-mah-toe'...let's call the whole thing off. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

El Greco
Oct-12-2006, 8:37am
For those who snap strings and get "pinched" by strings: I think it's better not to be caffeinated while changing strings.:p

I used to drink coffee while changing my bouzouki (the Greek version)strings...well, it took me a while to find out why I couldn't put the strings through the binding post holes.

Gerry Tenney
Oct-12-2006, 9:07am
If I were a rich man....biddy biddy biddy biddy biddy bum, I'd hire a personal string changer.

andy bole
Oct-12-2006, 9:18am
A string winder on an electric screwdriver is the thing to use, we have the joyfull experience of restringing about 20 instruments a day including mnado's, guitars, banjo's etc and without the screwdriver thing it would take too long, we have it down to a fine art now - mandolins take us about 5 minutes.

Eric F.
Oct-12-2006, 9:38am
The frets.com technique made a huge difference for me. I find changing strings pretty painless these days. The Bill James tailpiece makes a big difference, too - no need for a third hand.

mandopete
Oct-12-2006, 9:58am
I enjoy it just like a trip to the dentist!

Jack Roberts
Oct-12-2006, 10:13am
Whenever I change strings I put on a 45 of Tex Ritter's "Blood on the Saddle" and sing along:

There was blood on the mando and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

My pinky is bleeding and covered with gore
I never will change any e-strings no more

Oh, pity my pinky, all bloody and red
For the e-string did poke it and now it is dead

There was blood on the mando and blood all around
And a great big puddle of blood on the ground

Jack

Super400
Oct-12-2006, 10:43am
It never seemed like a problem to me to change my mandolin strings. It's just one of those things that you need to do when it needs to be done.

I still have a Rickenbacker 370 12 string. Now, if you would like to discuss a real nightmare this would be a good place to start. On Roger McGuinn's instructional tape he devotes a good amount of time on how best to tackle the Ricky restring. It makes a mando restring seem like a day at the races.

JGWoods
Oct-12-2006, 10:54am
Well I can't say as I enjoy changing strings on the mando but I have gotten reasonably good at it. Dislike of changing strings is why I seek out the extended life- coated- strings. Then about once every other year I take'em all off at once, clean the fingerboard, lube tuners, clean the top look for rough spots in the nut and bridge, make everything nice and put it back together- I enjoy that when it's over.

Now about unstringing- there's no thril like what you get on a fiddle when the tailpiece gut breaks while you are playing- the whole thing goes SPROING and launches the tailpiece, bridge and strings across the room - quite a surprise- and a good laugh if it ain't you it happens to.

Keith Erickson
Oct-12-2006, 11:01am
I use to hate changing the strings, however I had made 2 steps forward that made the whole process enjoyable.

1. My wife bought me a peg winder last Christmas. By far it's the best gift that I have received in quite some time.

2. I found a new use for an old capo that was collecting dust. This has become my third hand by hanging out on fret #1 while I set the string in place.

I owe a big debt of graditude to the individual who gave me this idea on the "Capo" thread.

Paul Kotapish
Oct-12-2006, 11:50am
Practice makes the difference. When I was touring regularly I had a guitar, mandolin, and octave mandolin (a total of 22 strings) to keep in good playing condition, and I good real good and real fast at changing them in the little gaps of time between commitments.

A peg winder does make a difference, and I've found the $1.99 plastic ones work just as well as the fancier models. The one I use for my mando started out as a guitar winder. The portion that slips over the button was cut down and reglued, and it's worked great for 15 years or so. YMMV.

For a really detailed , fully illustrated, step-by-step demo of restringing techniques, check out Frank Ford's pages on the subject:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPa....g1.html (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html)

I don't bother with all of the steps that Frank shows, but it's an info-packed demo, and the photos about how to handle the string wrap at the tuner capstan are particularly useful. No muss, no fuss. I think this is the part of the job that usually creates the most frustration, and as Frank shows, with the right technique, it's no hassle at all.

Good luck.

PK

Steve Baker
Oct-12-2006, 12:33pm
I just re-strung the bouzouki last night using, for the first time, a "Head Stand". It's a portable work stand ($11.95 at Elderly and elsewhere) that supports the peg head while you work. The first time I ever changed strings was on a 12-string guitar. It literally took me all night. This time, with head stand, peg winder, and the knowledge to take only 2-3 wraps, it was done in 15 minutes.

Steve Baker
McDonald Type 3 bouzouki

PS: The capo idea is genius. I'll use it next time around. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Mark Walker
Oct-12-2006, 1:02pm
Mandopete took the words out of my mouth - no pun intended! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

GDAEb
Oct-12-2006, 5:52pm
When changing strings, I put each string through its peg hole, pull it taunt (with string aligned on the bridge gap and the nut gap), and then pull my forefinger (and string)back to the first fret. This seems to work well.

To me, having a heavy and sharp pair of wire-cutters seems to be the important thing. And, like my fingernails, I like to keep the string ends rather short. The only thing that ever annoyed me while changing strings was messing with the tailpiece cover.

And on a side note, a couple pints of beer seem to go well with the task. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bobbie Dier
Oct-12-2006, 6:01pm
I usually put off the chore as long as I can. It sure sounds good to have nice new strings on though. My last pair, just a few days ago, was a pack of Sam Bush Monel wound. I just love how they sound and will probably keep using them. I even bought a brand new pair of mini wire cutters from Lowes to trim 'em up. They fit in my case :cool:

J.Albert
Oct-12-2006, 7:18pm
I've found that it's easier to do string changes in pairs - that is, take 2 strings off at time, and then restring that pair.

While both are off, I loosen the gears, put a drop of Tri-flow lubricant on, and snug the screw up again. You can find Tri-flow at many bicycle shops.

I also put some powdered graphite in the string slots. I found a very finely powdered form of graphite sold in model railroad hobby shops, called "Kadee Grease 'Em", part number 231, and it's cheap @ $2 a tube.

And wipe around the peghead/nut with a cloth while both strings are off.

The hardest part is keeping the string loop on the hook while you fiddle with the string trying to get it set into its slot on the string post. I found string changing works best on a bed with the head of the instrument over my knee.

Must be work for a musician to get a string changed fast onstage!

- John

Gotterdamerung
Oct-12-2006, 7:22pm
I found Peter Ostroushko's answer to a similar question intriguing, especially for those of us who greatly admire his tone:

"I use mona-steel strings. GHS Silk&Steel strings to be exact. Mona-steel strings aren't as bright as bronze strings, but they last a lot longer than bronze strings do. For a guy who hates to change strings as much as I do that's a great plus. I usually change my strings about twice a year. One time I played on the same set for about three and a half years! Needless to say I rarely break strings. Mona-steel strings just feel right to me when I first put them on. They feel like I've already broken them in for a day or two from the get go. Bronze strings irrate me for about a week until they start to sound good and then they go dead shortly after. Every mandolin is different however, and you should experiment on your instrument to see what sounds right for you. I do believe that the Silk&steel strings help define my sound."

Soupy1957
Oct-13-2006, 4:54am
" The locking with a pass back under the string"....what's that? I'm not familiar with the technique stated in quotes. Care to elaborate?
The other thing I wanted to say was that "personally," I like to not have to re-tweak the Bridge, so I do my re-stringing in pairs of two, rather than removing the whole batch of eight in one shot. (I suppose someone will state that there is a benefit to forcing the re-positioning of the Bridge, and I wouldn't argue the point).
What brings me to the point of re-stringing, is when the sliding of my left hand becomes rough and sticky, then I change them.
Do I "like" to change em, heck no! It's a hassle! But I do it on a day when I've got some time and I'm not under any scheduling pressure, and I TAKE MY TIME.
-Soupy1957http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Soupy1957
Oct-13-2006, 4:58am
P.S.:8-String Keith: I LOVE your idea about using your old Capo on the first fret to hold the new strings in place while you wind them!!! Fantastic!!! thanks!!!
-Soupy1957

bluegrassplayer
Oct-13-2006, 8:53am
Here you are Mr. Soupy...

frets.com (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html) It is on the third page, but the whole thing is very interesting.

Soupy1957
Oct-13-2006, 10:16am
Ok, yes......I'd seen this article before........it was just the terminology you used that threw me. Anyway, Thanks!
-Soupy1957

Keith Erickson
Oct-13-2006, 10:40am
P.S.:8-String Keith: I LOVE your idea about using your old Capo on the first fret to hold the new strings in place while you wind them!!! Fantastic!!! thanks!!!
# -Soupy1957
Soupy, I can not take credit for an idea that was originally posted in your thread inquiring about capo use back in August. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=25;t=36982;st=0) #We all owe a debt of graditute to Mandoholic/ Clyde for spreading the good word on another useful capo application. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Soupy1957
Oct-13-2006, 3:15pm
Shows ya how much attention I pay to a string I start, eh?! I guess I missed that suggestion, or perhaps lost interest in the string by the time that suggestion was posted. Must be A.D.D. or something.
-Soupy1957

Lee Callicutt
Oct-14-2006, 11:28am
I've only done it a few times now, and I confess to much frustration with neatly "locking" the string the first time I changed strings.

Since then, I've gone back to my old guitar stringing technique and have experienced no problems in either re-stringing or tuning and have resumed enjoying re-stringing and enjoying fresh strings.

I make the bend in the loop end as per Frank Ford's advice, hook the loop end in the tailpiece and make a right angle bend at the post end of the string approximately one and a half tuner posts past the strings designated post (this should result in sufficient length for about two to three wraps around the post - with practice you'll get the length and number of wraps that you want just right every time).

I cut the bent end to a length of about 1/2" or less, #insert it into the post and proceed to wrap the string around the post only (not back around the the string itself -- it's the edge of the hole in the post that grabs the string, not the string grabbing upon itself on the post.

Once I have manually wrapped a winding or so around the post and have the string firmly in place on the post, I begin to tune up to tension with my left hand, making sure that the progessive windings stack and descend neatly down the post toward the peghead as I tune it up to a moderate level of tension.

I use the index finger of my right hand to apply pressure on the post end and keep the windings where they belong as I use the little finger and palm of the same hand to pull up on the rest of the string and keep the loop seated.

Easy. #No muss. No fuss. #No string winder necessary, unless you just want to use one. Clip off any excess string, tune her up and play!

bratsche
Oct-14-2006, 1:16pm
With my tuners, I have to turn the button many, many times just to get one wrap - the winder makes it an easy job.

I do as much as I want manually (I mean actually 'wrapping' the string around the peg while holding it in my right hand) so that when I finally attach the other end to the tailpiece, there's only about 1/4 turn of the button left needed to bring it up to pitch. #

bratsche

8STRINGR
Oct-14-2006, 3:08pm
I had a guy show me a tecnique that he used to do for a real quick string change (if one was to break during a performance) for any stringed instrument that he would be playing but over the years I have seemed to forgotten how excactly it was done.

I do know that it didn't require any kind of cutters to remove the ecessive string because the way it was tied in he would just grab the string close to the post, bring the string up and down a few times, off it went and he was right back out there in a minute or two to play.

Does anyone know in more detail of how this "tecnique" he used is done exactly? I wish I could remember. It would save me the trouble of carrying a backup mando with me even though a backup mando would at least be already in tune and ready to grab up in a hurry. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-14-2006, 3:11pm
I like to change stings and so does my cat Guthrie.

Nick Triesch
Oct-14-2006, 10:34pm
I always use a winder. And sometimes I use a capo also. Nick

Soupy1957
Oct-15-2006, 7:04am
"Winders": I own one, and have used it on the guitar
for years. Helps a lot. Haven't tried it with
the Mandolin however.
"Loops": All the various strings I've bought for the
Mandolin have had loops in them already. It's
Interesting how many types of tailpiece
configurations there are, out there.

-Soupy1957

Larry Simonson
Oct-15-2006, 11:01am
The James tailpiece captures the loop end of the string and that greatly reduces the need for 3 hands and for that I'm grateful but I believe there is room for improvement at the other string end. A simple improvement would be holes that more closely matched the string diameter. The g strings holes are nice but the mismatch gets progessively worse going to the e string. A more complex improvement would be string locking hand screws. These are available for guitars but I've not seen any for mando.

jim_n_virginia
Oct-15-2006, 11:27am
" The locking with a pass #back under the string"....what's that? #I'm not familiar with the technique stated in quotes. #Care to elaborate? #
# # #-Soupy1957http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
Man I played guitar for many years and the mandolin for a few years until I learned how to lock the strings on the posts! It was like an epiphany for me, like I SAW THE LIGHT! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Was a little tricky to do at first but practice makes perfect and now I have no problem.

frets.com is the place I learned how Soupy

I use a cheap guitar string winder and I can change strings probably twice as fast using the winder. Not a problem when I am at home but if I am out playing somewhere and I break a string I need to get it replaced quick!

I also use a capo to clamp strings down while winding. It takes me about 8 minutes to change strings now I feel like I have it down to a science! I usually change about every 3-4 weeks depending on how much I am playing which is a lot here recently.

I have a theory too.. I think the pickers who don't like stringwinders also don't like mandolin capo's, pickups on their instruments and only want the one mic setup for sound reinforcement! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

phiddlepicker
Oct-15-2006, 11:41am
I have found that a glass of cold Jack Single Barrel makes any menial task more enjoyable.

big h
Oct-15-2006, 1:22pm
I was re-stringing my mandolin a week ago and I popped my brige off and after that took me abuot 2 hours to ajust the brige back to where it needed to be.Then i had to put new strings on.Then after all that was done i took a nap http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JeffD
Oct-15-2006, 4:31pm
I try to change my strings once every season - so four times a year. That is my goal, I usually make 3 times a year in practice.

In 30 years I have never taken all the strings off at once - with any of my instruments. I always had heard it was a no-no. Well even if its not bad, I haven't had to reset the bridge.