PDA

View Full Version : Mexican tricordia

kww
Oct-11-2006, 2:14pm
I have threatened to post pictures before, so here they are.

First, an overall shot:

kww
Oct-11-2006, 2:16pm
A closeup of the amazingly bland and undistinguished headstock (from the back):

kww
Oct-11-2006, 2:27pm
A closeup of the stamped aluminum tailpiece, complete with exposed tangs, and the cedar/Corian bridge.

kww
Oct-11-2006, 2:30pm
While I can't get excited about its appearance or craftsmanship, it is a pretty nice sounding little instrument for the price ($285 new). Has a balanced tone, and intonation is pretty good (I adjusted it myself last night, and was able to get within 5 cents on every fret on every string).

I would like to find an adjustable flattop bridge for it, and maybe make a new nut that would group the trios of strings a little more tightly.

Keith Erickson
Oct-11-2006, 2:50pm
Kevin,

Lóókin' good there my friend!!!

Where did you find her? I sounds like your tricordia has a wonderful loving home.

glauber
Oct-11-2006, 3:40pm
I would like to find an adjustable flattop bridge for it, and maybe make a new nut that would group the trios of strings a little more tightly.
Adjustable bridge may be overkill, i've never missed the adjustability in my flat-tops. YMMV.

Do you like having the 3 strings per course? An easy fix for the spacing problem would be to string it with pairs, instead. Another intriguing (for me) idea would be to string the middle string in the low courses an octave higher. I'm not sure if that would intonate well, but it should sound pretty.

kww
Oct-11-2006, 4:03pm
Keith: Got it from Lark in the Morning.

Glauber: I like the triple stringing, I'd just like a bit tighter spacing. My pinky has a problem fretting the G string, and making the course narrower should help. My reason for wanting an adjustable bridge is just to be able to reduce the action to the point it buzzes and then bring it back up. Mandolin bridges aren't one-day mail order away here, so if I got one that I had to take significant meat off the bottom to reduce the height, I'd have to buy an extra one or two as an insurance policy.