PDA

View Full Version : follow up to rythm query-help!

ira
Apr-23-2004, 3:30pm
i think, based on the function idea (thanks niles) that tremolo of the chord structure in double stops would work.
here it is: E E A G B7 B7 E
i know the A double stop on the g and d strings. i also know the g double stop on the a and e strings, but want to do as low a tone as possible.

any ideas for double stops on the g and d strings for the progression above?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

thanks for the help

John Flynn
Apr-23-2004, 6:18pm
Well, it really depends on the tune and what kind of effect you want to create, but given you want to go as low as possible, this sounds nice (the "S" indicates a slide, which is optional): #

# # E E A G B7 B7 E
D: 2 2 2 0 1 #1 S2
G: 4 4 2 0 2 S4 #4

I can't get the text to line up on this, but you should get the idea.

ira
Apr-23-2004, 6:45pm
thanks johnny. so is the b7 both at 1/2 and 1/4http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
i will give it a shot. i think that playin in this tonal range will sound great!

John Flynn
Apr-23-2004, 8:48pm
Yeah, the 1/2 is the 3rd and 7th of the B chord and the 1/4 is the 3rd and the root. So if you really want to emphsize the 7th, you could stay with the 1/2, but I think it makes a nice transition to the E, at least when played solo.

It really depends on what other instruments you are playing with, what they are playing and the sound you want to add to it. For instance, if I know my guitarist is going to be sounding all the notes of the B7 chord loud and clear, I can pick any two chord tones for the double stop like I did. But if he is doing something else, like a bass run or something, I may want to be the one to keep that 7th in there. There are no hard and fast rules, just what sounds good to you.

ira
Apr-23-2004, 10:07pm
thanks again. i tried it and it sounds good. now to try it with my partner. again, i want to play some chords while he does some slide lead at the start of the song. he will then join me on the rythm during the vocals (at least thats the theory).