PDA

View Full Version : Store in indianapolis area

banjo player
Oct-05-2006, 8:22pm
I am looking for a store with a good selection of mandolins in the Indianapolis Area. I actually live an hour North of Indy, so really I guess anywhere in Indiana for that matter or Eastern Illinois... Chicago even...

Any suggestions for good stores would be much appreciated. I need a store that carries lower end instruments, not just Gibsons, Webers, etc... more like a Kentucky, Bean Blossom, Morgan Monroe type of place... but somewhere where I can try out these instruments (or my wife rather).

Thanks in advance.

JimRichter
Oct-05-2006, 10:20pm
The best two choices for mandolins are About Music and Frank's Violins, both in the Broad Ripple area of North Indianapolis. #Both carry a large selection of Eastman mandolins. #About Music also carries Kentucky and Weber.

Frankly, I'd stay away from the Morgan Monroe/Michael Kelley/Fender/Kentucky type stuff. #If you want afforadable but something of quality, you should look into Eastman (I am not an Eastman player, but recognize the value in them). #Either of these stores would be good to look into.

And the owner of Frank Violin's, Mark K., is a fellow Cafe member. #Maybe he'll respond to this thread.

Jim

banjo player
Oct-05-2006, 11:32pm
I briefly visited About Music awhile back when I was shopping for a banjo, so I am familiar with where it is. I will check it out.

Thanks for the tip on Eastman... on some other threads the Kentucky 350S was suggested as a good beginning mandolin, but perhaps I will check into Eastman as well. Paet of the reason I want to find a store, so my wife and I can pick around on some different models to see what we want.

Anybody know of places in the Chicago area?

John Jesseph
Oct-06-2006, 7:55pm
Is Lansing, Michigan too far from you? Elderly usually has a large selection...

steve V. johnson
Oct-07-2006, 12:37am
I'll second About Music in Broad Ripple. I've had a great time doing business with Robt Norwood there.

Meridian Music may have some mandolins, but I don't really know if they do or not. Their prices have kept me away, but as a showroom to play instruments, it's pretty ok for guitars...

Elderly ain't that far...

stv

merv
Oct-07-2006, 6:23pm
Check mout Reno's Music at Castleton . It is north of 116th street just west of I- 69 they have Weberscurrently in stock . I know they are in justy not out on display.

Tom C
Oct-07-2006, 6:45pm
Mark is a great fella. I met him at Mando Symposium in 2004.
Plays great Jethro too

Eric F.
Oct-07-2006, 9:50pm
In Chicago, the Old Town School of Folk Music on Lincoln Avenue has a decent selection. Last I was there they had Gold Tone, Kentucky, Mid-Missouri, Eastman and Weber. Guitar Works in Evanston often has a few nice mandos, but not so much in the low end. Hog Eye in Evanston usually has some Webers, Mid-Mos and the occasional Pac Rim.

earthsave
Oct-08-2006, 9:01am
Head on down I-65 to First Quality in Louisville. They've got a wall of mandolins to pick from.