PDA

View Full Version : Mary and Mars

kgimbal
Apr-23-2004, 9:11am
I've never seen these guys mentioned here at the cafe... they're flying under the radar apparently. Mary and Mars played here in Chico last night, and let me say Sharon Gilchrst (no relation to the famed luthier) is absolutley the best female mandolin player I've ever seen or heard. She's lighting fast and very sophisticated in her playing. She played years ago with Dixie Chicks gals before they were famous or known as the Dixie Chicks. My band opened up for them here at the Bean Scene. The three band members were very gracious and invited me and our banjo player, Pat Haley, onstage to jam on a couple of tunes at the end of their set. If you get a chance to see Mary and Mars in your area, take adavantage of an opportunity to see a true virtuoso mandolin player. Check out
their website here (http://www.maryandmars.com) ....Kim Gimbal in Chico

PCypert
Apr-23-2004, 9:32am
So that's who that was. My old girlfriend's family were related to the Dixie Chicks. They had some old tapes of them from way back in the day that were awesome. Maybe one day the buzz around em in popular music will fade off, they'll ditch the producers, and get back to it.
Paul

BigJoe
Apr-24-2004, 11:35pm
Sharon is an incredible mandolin player and a very nice young lady.