PDA

View Full Version : Arches F5

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:36pm
Howdy, Finally got this one done. This is Ken Sager's.

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:41pm
Birdseye maple, I was thinking this one may come out satin-esqe, but... shine happens.

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:44pm
Binding and other appointments are ebony and maple.

ShaneJ
Oct-04-2006, 8:46pm
HOLY COW!!! That is stunning, Chris! PERFECT color for that gorgeous wood, and the binding sets it off perfectly.

SMOKIN'!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:46pm
The curves.

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:48pm
Curves continued..

ShaneJ
Oct-04-2006, 8:50pm
That binding is awesome. You are doing phenominal work.

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 8:51pm
More pics at my website -- Gallery (http://www.archesmusic.com/Fstylegallery2.htm)

Thanks

amowry
Oct-04-2006, 9:05pm
That looks fantastic, Chris! The point protector on the peghead is a nice touch, and the curves on the scroll look perfect. What's the outer layer of the binding?

Chris Baird
Oct-04-2006, 9:11pm
Thanks! The black point on the headstock is just an artifact of a 3 piece neck. The binding is ebony and maple.

amowry
Oct-04-2006, 9:46pm
Oh yeah, I forgot about the three-piece neck. That's got to be time-consuming bending the ebony and getting it that clean.

Eric F.
Oct-04-2006, 10:05pm
Wow. Chris, that is lovely. Ken's in for a treat.

Glassweb
Oct-04-2006, 10:22pm
Excellent work Chris! Nice to see another enlightened builder who doesn't indulge in the ridiculous practice of scooped, scalloped etc... fingerboard extensions. Your solution to "pick click" is most elegant and practical. All builders should take a page out of your (and Collings) book!

Bill Snyder
Oct-04-2006, 11:00pm
Stellar work.

Mario Proulx
Oct-04-2006, 11:07pm
Awesome!!

Fretbear
Oct-04-2006, 11:18pm
Pick'n & Pralines...looks good enough to eat.....

grandmainger
Oct-05-2006, 2:10am
Holy Smokes! That's what Winnie the Poo's Honey Heaven must look like http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Am I right in seeing that you have installed a recessed truss rod cover? It looks as though it's flush with the peghead overlay... Neat, very neat.

Germain

french guy
Oct-05-2006, 4:36am
it make me "green of envy"
absolutly WoooooW

Antlurz
Oct-05-2006, 5:02am
Like... ....Wow, 'n stuff!

Chris.. the reflections on your Logo gives the impression it is stamped in, then filled with paint, ending up slightly lower than the surrounding overlay. Any ideas of what causes that appearance in the shot?

Ron

Jonas
Oct-05-2006, 5:50am
Good Lord that's beautiful! Absolutely eerie and outerwordly!

Skip Kelley
Oct-05-2006, 6:50am
Awesome! That mandolin is amazing in every way!

Austin Clark
Oct-05-2006, 11:57am
Holy s@$@#! That is simply spectacular! I am very impressed by your wood bindings. Ebony is not easy to work with...

Milan Christi
Oct-05-2006, 12:20pm
Man, that is some stellar work.
I'm thoroughly impressed - an jonesin' at the same time!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

My wife is impressed, too, and you know that's a good thing!!

Ken Sager
Oct-05-2006, 1:52pm
I'll post a preliminary report after having it in my position for all of 24 hrs...

It's phenomenal. The tone, volume, clarity, and cutting power are amazing.

I played a coffeehouse last night with a friend who was blown away by it. Others who have heard me play before were very impressed by it. It truly is an amazing looking instrument, but the distinction and presence of every note is unbelievable. It's more than I had hoped for.

Plus, it was a supreme pleasure working with Chris to build this. He said a terrific thing yesterday that really inspired me. This mandolin still isn't finished since it needs to be played in a lot to reach it's potential, and I get to put that finishing work into it. I couldn't be happier about doing that.

I'll post a photo or two from Chris' shop soon.

Thanks Chris!

Best,
Ken

Lane Pryce
Oct-05-2006, 1:53pm
Chris I believe you have raised the bar with the completion of this mandolin. Sensational at the very least,congratulations. Lp

B. T. Walker
Oct-05-2006, 4:20pm
Oh yeah! Beautiful. Just spectacular.

JEStanek
Oct-05-2006, 5:08pm
There aren't words to describe that. Wow!

Jamie

Gibson A5
Oct-05-2006, 5:19pm
Great Looking Mando. Makes me want to burn all the ones that I built and start over. Great Going!
Bill P.

Bill James
Oct-05-2006, 5:37pm
That's the way you do it!

Michael Lewis
Oct-06-2006, 2:11am
Beautiful job! You desert guys seem to lean toward those whisky colors. Something in the water?

How do you like working with bird's eye maple? I did it once about 20 years ago, still have some of the wood but just haven't worked up the juice to start working it yet. Probably wouldn't be so difficult with a grinder of some sort.

Gail Hester
Oct-06-2006, 2:54am
Exquisite and inspirational work Chris.

Arnt
Oct-06-2006, 3:38am
I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful mandolin.

berkeleymando
Oct-06-2006, 5:00pm
This is just the start. I think Chris is destined to be recognized as one of the great modern mandolin luthiers. I've used up a lot of bandwidth here already describing how much I love my Arches F4. However, let me state once again that I LOVE my Arches F4. It sounds so great, is so comfortable, has a personality, and is absolutely charming. I sleep with it next to my bed. I often wake up in the middle of the night and reach for it. It is not just a mandolin, it is a meditative object.

Chris Baird
Oct-06-2006, 8:09pm
Thanks for the compliments. I like birdseye, not only for the interesting figure, but for the acoustic qualities of slab sawn hard maple. It is a bit difficult to work but not that bad. Slab sawn hard maple is good for a rich mid range response.

Ken Sager
Oct-07-2006, 3:30pm
It is not just a mandolin, it is a meditative object.
Well said. I know exactly what you mean.

I like birdseye, not only for the interesting figure, but for the acoustic qualities of slab sawn hard maple.
Me too. I love the beautiful combination of aesthetics and tone.

It's a wonderful instrument. Thanks again Chris.

Best,
Ken

sunburst
Oct-07-2006, 4:56pm
Beautiful job, Chris!

fwoompf
Oct-07-2006, 10:51pm
Let's hear some samples! I absolutely love the look of it.

good_ol_al_61
Oct-08-2006, 2:54am
Wow!

Chris and Ken, this really gets me excited that I'm on the list!

It is just sad to think about the number of blind birds there are in the world now. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I thought you couldn't improve on perfection, but this creation makes me rethink that supposition.

Hans
Oct-08-2006, 7:33am
That's lovely Chris!

PhilGE
Oct-08-2006, 9:16am
Stunning work, Chris. I enjoy the burst on the front. That shot of the scroll from the back looks like fine art to me. Beautiful blend of contrast and color tone.

Yonkle
Oct-08-2006, 9:22am
Son of a ...Gun that is pretty! (under statement) Yes, this one defines "eye candy" Can't stop looking at it!
I don't believe I've seen a more "rich" looking instrument, very unique! You must be a proud Papa.

Eric F.
Oct-08-2006, 9:51am
I've used up a lot of bandwidth here already describing how much I love my Arches

Me too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

After a year and a half, I have not found another F hole mando I covet. Ken, your mando is enough to give me scroll envy!

Chip Booth
Oct-09-2006, 12:35pm
I am nearly speachless. #I saw that slab of maple before it was cut and it was nice then, but I can't believe how beautiful it turned out. #Stunning work Chris! I can only imagine how good it must sound.

Ken, I'm coming to Salt Lake some time very soon! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Chris, let's see the rest of them, I know there's more where that came from...

Chip

Ken Sager
Oct-09-2006, 3:15pm
Sound clips coming this week. I'm up to my ears playing this thing so I can't bother with setting up the microphone yet... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Soon.
Ken

Ken Sager
Oct-09-2006, 3:17pm
I am nearly speachless. #I saw that slab of maple before it was cut and it was nice then, but I can't believe how beautiful it turned out. #Stunning work Chris! #I can only imagine how good it must sound.

Ken, I'm coming to Salt Lake some time very soon! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Chris, let's see the rest of them, I know there's more where that came from...

Chip
Chip,

Shoot me a message when you're coming. You're welcome to look at it any time. It would be good to pick a few with you, too.

Ken

Bill Moore
Oct-10-2006, 1:49pm
I had the priviledge of gigging with Ken this past Saturday, and got to see & hear this stunning instrument up close and personal. Chris, all I can is, you are *the man*. I wish I could have had more time, but in the 45 minutes we played, I was just amazed. The photos don't do it justice ... and soundwise, it kicks serious butt. And to think its only going to get better ... Wow!

Hey Ken, we need to pick some more. Time to learn some more Reischman tunes. I don't think we ever played Salt Spring so fast ... and with that new axe I don't think it ever sounded so good. Congrats!!

Bill

Tom Smart
Nov-06-2006, 11:57am
After months of being tantalized with photos, I was beginning to wonder whether this mandolin really existed, or whether it was just something created in photoshop.

It's real, folks. I held it in my own hands this weekend, played it a bit, and listened to Ken play a set with his terrific band (one of them), "John Boy's Mule."

That mandolin plays and sounds as great as it looks. Very, very impressive work, Chris. I look forward to seeing and hearing a lot more of it.

Chris Baird
Nov-06-2006, 4:56pm
Thanks Tom. I'm glad you finally got to play it.

tater71
Jan-04-2007, 6:36pm
Absolutely beautiful, and classy.

Chip Booth
Aug-26-2007, 8:22pm
I finally got to play this instrument today, and all I can is, I am SO glad I am on Chris' list! I can't wait to be playing my own Arches some time soon.

Chip

jasona
Aug-26-2007, 8:34pm
Very very impressive work!

Ron C
Aug-27-2007, 12:09pm
I too played on this mandolin this past weekend at the Pocatello bluegrass festival. One great mandolin and has "the" sound that many are looking for. Outstanding woods and workmanship, all I can say it is a work of art, good job Chris

# # Ron Cole

james condino
Aug-27-2007, 12:17pm
Bautiful work and it is birdseye maple- scroll work with that stuff is like carving granite!

_
j.
www.condino.com

james condino
Aug-27-2007, 2:14pm
I'll fix my own typing error and post that as BEAUTIFUL work!
__

j.
www.condino.com

Gutbucket
Aug-28-2007, 5:17pm
That thang gives me happy feet! No wonder all these birds are flying into my windows. They're all blind from all that Birdseye Maple.

JeffD
Aug-29-2007, 9:35am
Just amazing

SternART
Aug-29-2007, 6:29pm
Congrats to both Chris AND Ken!
Looks like a honey!
I like 'em simple too.

stevem
Aug-30-2007, 4:37pm
Check out Ken's website (http://www.kensager.com/music.htm) for some sound clips of the Arches. I bought his CD and am loving it. (NFI)

Ken Sager
Aug-30-2007, 4:57pm
What a treat to see these new posts on this topic. I'm glad Chip got to play my mandolin because he's really in for a treat with his new Arches when it's ready. I got to play three of Chris' new A5's last night and I'm not surprised how great they all are. Truly amazing instruments. Look for Chris to post more about our session.