PDA

View Full Version : Mandolooney  Report

zeke
Apr-23-2004, 8:33am
I posted awhile back that our band was going to Germany, and a number of folks "PM'd" me asking for pix, so I thought I'd share some of them with ya'll to save on bandwidth. The first sampling is available on our website on the "News" page, just enter the site (by clicking on the icon) at http://www.moonlighthoodoo.com. (http://www.moonlighthoodoo.com)

The folks who set this up for us were absolutely super and helped us get our collective feet in the door for a much longer tour next year, hopefully with some festival performances as well as the dozen shows we now have tentetively booked. What can I say but it was the best time of my life, and the crowds were the most appreciative we've ever played for, not letting us quit untill the wee hours.

Extra mando content: played the Gibsons at the store in Munich when we practiced for our show at the Rattlesnake, and swapped mandos with a great '75 Gil, and found both our instruments had women's names!

Coy Wylie
Apr-23-2004, 8:49am
You link came up "under construction" when I clicked it.

zeke
Apr-23-2004, 9:28am
Oops, sorry, added an extra period which ruined the whole thing. Should work now......

Christine W
Apr-23-2004, 9:34am
Zeke,
What wonderful pictures and experience. Makes me homesick ( I grew up in Munich).
Thanks for sharing

duuuude
Apr-23-2004, 12:53pm
Great pix, Zeke, looks like you had a blast & made an impression over there, I think they've just added "hoodoo" to their vocabulary!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

zeke
Apr-23-2004, 1:36pm
Thanks, guys. Yup, we have quite a few folks who are calling themselves "Hoodoo-heads" now, which is just a hoot! And I just loved Munich (or more properly, Munchen). I was totally blown away by the museums, which I obviously didn't have enough time to really delve into as much as I would have liked. But the Bavarian National, WOW! Room after room of Ruebans! El Greco! Durer! The list is mind-boggling.

Hey Cristine, aren't you giong to the symposium? I could bring along a bunch more shots if you'd like.......

Christine W
Apr-23-2004, 1:56pm
Zeke,
oh Yes,!! I would love to see them, if it's not too much trouble to pack them. I"ve been sitting here all day remembering (slow at work), IMing a friend and thinking about Munchen. Thanks for that. We get so busy sometimes in life and don't take enough time to just remember.

JiminRussia
Apr-23-2004, 8:20pm
Good on ya Zeke!!!! Great phoos and I'm glad for you that all y'all had a great time. Next time try it in late September for Oktoberfest!!!!!

zeke
Apr-24-2004, 8:40am
Yup, we had as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on. But if we went during Oktoberfest, we'd have to trade our bass guy in for a tuba player!

KenR
Apr-24-2004, 9:19am
Zeke,
My band has been talking about a European tour. I'm curious as to how you guys set this up. Did you use an agent? European or American? Did you have previous contacts over there? That sort of stuff. Thanks. - Ken

kgimbal
Apr-24-2004, 9:34am
Yay, Zeke...!! Congrats on your European triumph! The pix look great. It looks like the locals were anticipating and received a superb taste of American roots music, hoodoo-style.The huge color posters in the background really show the great promotion you guys were able to generate. Also I loved seeing the pics of a certain Ann Harrington...
Kim

zeke
Apr-24-2004, 10:00am
Guten morgen, guys.

We had a special connection with the Deep Elem ballroom gang previously, Ken. Our guit player knew them and when they came to the states a year and a half ago, they came to a show of ours and we gave them the board tapes. They started a "hoodoo night" getting a fan base going and hepled organise the whole thing (by selling bootlegs of those board cds!). From there we started using contacts that other folks I've know have over there. We got hooked up with (in my and many people's opinion) one of (if not the) Europe's hottest banjo player, Rudiger Helbig. He and I have really hit it off, going into double improv breaks every chance we could. We started joking that we were twins seperated at birth. Plus he likes to burn up the tunes like I do. Everybody I talked to about going to Germany all said "You've got to play the Rattlesnake Saloon!" The wall of fame there is like a "who's who" in acoustic/country/grass music and it was an honor to sign his band's guest book. I'd be happy to share some of these connections with you, Ken. Drop me a line.

Hey Kim, our german webmaster did all those posters for us; just part of the new Bavarian Hoodoo Family. These guys are just great. BTW, you got us booked down there yet?