PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Washburn Cremonatone

TxMagik
Jan-30-2004, 1:14am
Wahburn cremonatone Serial No. 117097 #any information or pointers to info is appreciated....thanks

pklima
Jan-30-2004, 9:48am
It was probably made before 1910 - that's about when Washburn dropped the "Cremonatone" from the label. Those mandolins were built for much lighter strings than the vast majority of mandos today, so use ultra-light strings only - .032-.009 or thereabouts. Value depends on condition and model, but in general American bowlbacks are sadly undervalued. Can you post a photo or two?

TxMagik
Jan-30-2004, 4:00pm
Thanks Peter....I am working on some pics. I didn't expect it to be very valuable...just wondering if it needed insuring. Is there a web site/book, etc., that might provide a ball park value?

Eugene
Jan-30-2004, 4:45pm
Greetings, TxMagik. You can see a little discussion of such things by clicking here (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=6;t=12258). Unfortunately, no. There is almost no printed literature on bowlback values in the US. Washburn was originally the premier brand of the Lyon & Healy company (L&H). While they were decent product, L&H was the world's biggest music manufacturer at that time; unfortunately this means their product is massively abundant and not too valuable. Assuming good, playable condition ("playable" is the key term), values typically range from ca. US$200 for entry-level models to the lower US$1,000s for the really fancy 19th-c. models. This estimate represents my limited regional experience. Fingerboards in solid mother of pearl and elaborate inlaid butterflies of abalone shell constituted "really fancy" in Washburn's model scheme. There should be a style number stamped somewhere in/on your mandolin, TxMagik. Can you find it?

TxMagik
Jan-30-2004, 5:23pm
Eugene,
I looked at the discussion you linked me to...thanks...some good info there. That helps...I'll re-examine it for a style designation...and try to get some pics, as well...

pklima
Jan-30-2004, 6:47pm
If you can't find a style number, a count of the ribs which comprise the back is a pretty good substitute. And if you're located near College Station in Texas, I could take a look at your mando personally.

TxMagik
Jan-31-2004, 6:30pm
Thanks again, Peter
I am in Fort Worth...unfortunately the mando is in Borger..a long ways fron College Station. I asked a friend to count the ribs...she says 35...that sound right? or give you any clues?
she is trying to make some pics...but is having focus problems with her camera. Would a slightly out of focus pic help?

M

pklima
Jan-31-2004, 9:37pm
Yes, fuzzy photos are useful. Is your friend counting the light-colored spacers between the ribs? If not, you have a pretty nice model - the most basic and most common style 215 had only 15 ribs.

If you can get a measurement of the action at the 12th fret, that's a pretty good indicator of instrument health - it shouldn't be more than 2 mm.

TxMagik
Feb-01-2004, 10:09pm
Peter
I am new to this group...is there a way to attach a pic to this message...or do I need to post it elsewhere...or can I email it direct to you?
Thanks again,
M

keef
Feb-02-2004, 10:44pm
Based on this serial number 1900 would be the likely year of manufacture...

pklima
Feb-02-2004, 11:10pm
Yes, you can make a new post with an attached image. If you can't it to work, you email the photo to me and I'll post it.

TxMagik
Feb-03-2004, 12:25am
Peter,
Here is a pic of the back. Any help as to model? Thanks as always.
M

TxMagik
Feb-03-2004, 12:27am
keef
thanks for the date info...is there a reference I can cite...or is this from your experience?

M

keef
Feb-03-2004, 12:46am
personal research...I have collected data and serial numbers on hundreds of old Washburns...like Neil.

BTW: I haven't seen the top of your mando (pls post pic..) - if it has 34 ribs, it's a style 160, 36 ribs is a style 175, 42 ribs a style 1125.

nar
Feb-03-2004, 1:32am
Hi TxMagik.
Have you looked on the very end of the peghead [thin edge] for the serial and model number? If it is a 100 series, the number will be stamped there along with the serial number. The models 1125 and 175 had maple necks. this one is either Mahogany or Spanish cedar.
Neil

TxMagik
Feb-03-2004, 4:31am
thanks Neil and keef..
Checked the peg head all around...no #s there. any other place I should look?

M

keef
Feb-05-2004, 3:48am
A pic of the front would help....or a description.

TxMagik
Feb-05-2004, 3:32pm
here's a pic of the front..there's some missing binding, i see. as i mentioned, i don't have the mando in my possession...i am researching for a friend...so i had to wait till she could make a digital pic. thanks to all for any info....
M

nar
Feb-05-2004, 10:00pm
Hi there
What you have judging from the photo is a model 160.Made from about 1896 to about 1904.The only Washburn mandolins with the pearl and ebony binding was the 1125 and the 160. The 1125 had a pearl covered board. The number 160 is stamped on the very end of the peghead. The 100 series where the only mandolins Washburn did this on. I might add I have dozens of Washburn mandolins and this is only the second model 160 I have seen
Neil

TxMagik
Feb-06-2004, 12:15am
many thanks, Neil. i'll have her look again for a model/style #...but she hasn't found anything as yet.

keef
Feb-09-2004, 4:22am
Here's another 160 -now on Ebay..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=33048 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3703220464&category=33048)

MyMando
Nov-06-2009, 3:48pm
Just as TxMagik is requesting info about his Washburn Cremonatone Mandolin, I also request info and estimates about the value concerning mine. I have a Washburn Cremonatone Mandolin, Model # 122, S/N: 124759 , 13 ribs, [on glued-on paper seals inside bowl:] "The New Washburn Latest Model", "Highest Award At World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893 [Star printed] Gold Medal And Diploma Of Honor, Antwerp, 1894.", and the guarantee seal: "The Material and Workmanship Of This Washburn Instrument Cremonatone. No 124759 Fully guaranteed for the term of one year from the date of original purchase provided this label is not mutilated. [Stamped in red ink:] Trademark Cremonatone Registered". It is an heirloom and appears in good condition. There appears to be slight warping of the wood beneath the pickguard. Otherwise, I do not observe any visible defects. I don't know how to judge whether or not it is playable, unfortunately. I will attempt to provide a recent picture of the Cremonatone. I have a few other pictures which are close-ups of parts of the Cremonatone. Thanks!

Eugene
Nov-15-2009, 4:14pm
I'm not certain what info you're seeking just because you seem to have quite a bit of info on the piece already. This is a rather basic model, and that era's Washburns are hugely abundant; thus, unfortunately, yours is not hugely valuable. Your acknowledgment that the soundboard may be distorted is a little concerning. That potentially is a rather serious issue.

MyMando
Nov-16-2009, 3:31am
Many thanks, Eugene, for providing the information you did regarding my Washburn Cremonatone Mandolin!
I was most interested in finding out its estimated monetary value. Your reply both gave me a firm idea of what it's likely worth on the market, and why. It is very satisfying to me to have that question resolved, one way or the other, from a knowledgeable source such as yourself!
Again, many thanks! [BTW, I obtained a copy of Pleijsier's "Washburn Prewar Instrument Styles", to see if the book contained some estimate of the mandolin's value, based upon the book being mentioned in a different thread. Your post clearly stated what the book appeared only to hint at--its value on the market. Thanks for saving me a visit to an appraiser!]

Wheatkendal
Jan-15-2020, 1:02pm
I just purchased a washburn cremonatone bowlback mandolin.I know very little about mandolins.It is style 275 and fhe serial number is 209667.I would like to find a value on the instrument.I appreciate any help anyone can give me thank you!

Guitarbonachea
Sep-07-2023, 10:12am
Wahburn cremonatone Serial No. 117097 #any information or pointers to info is appreciated....thanks

It's been a long time since the post I'm quoting. I was gifted a Washburn Crematone (serial number 209631) recently. I'm a classical guitarist and need to alternate the guitar and mandolin parts in an orchestral work in December. I hope I can use this instrument that is in very good shape. My question are: What are the best strings that would fit this mandolin? Is this a reliable instrument to play simple melodic parts with accompaniment? Finally, this mandolin was given to me with the strings tuned like the guitar trebles (D, G, B, E). It will be also easier for me to play it his way. Can the regular mandolin strings be tune like that? I will appreciate any input. Miguel.

rcc56
Sep-07-2023, 6:22pm
No. Even an extra light mandolin set will tear that instrument to pieces because of the extra tension that will result from the higher tuning.
You will have to buy individual loop end strings, available from D'Addario, GHS, and Curt Mangan.
I would recommend .009" for the E, .012" for the B, .015" for the G, and .022" wound for the D.

Bruce Clausen
Sep-07-2023, 7:49pm
I'm a classical guitarist and need to alternate the guitar and mandolin parts in an orchestral work in December. I hope I can use this instrument that is in very good shape.

Hi Miguel, and welcome to the Cafe! It's well off-topic here, but I'll bet there are a few of us wondering what the orchestral piece is that you'll be playing on. I'm another classical guitarist (now retired) that did lots of symphony, opera, and pit-band work over the decades, often doubling and tripling instruments. So welcome to that world as well!