PDA

View Full Version : Gibson mandolin

mcapple
Oct-03-2006, 11:50am
I've been told this is the place to go to get my question answered. I am considering ugrading to a Gibson F style and cannot decide where to start looking. I live in a real small community and there are no large music stores near me. I've the F-5, F-5G, f-9, Flatiron, etc. I am not familiar with the different models. I need some help as to which one should I center my search on. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Robert

Greg H.
Oct-03-2006, 11:59am
There's a great deal of variety there. If you want information on the different models you could start here Gibson Mandolins (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Bluegrass/Gibson%20Original/Gibson%20Mandolins/). Then of course you go into the various prices (Gibson F models will run from around $2700-$22,000 so you need to have an idea how much you're willing to spend). A good place to look there might be First Quality Music (http://www.fqms.com/F_Style_C2004.cfm).

My advice would be go ahead and look at the Gibsons, and look at some of the other brands as well (there are a lot of great mandolins being built these days, and it's definitely worth it to keep your options open).

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-03-2006, 1:42pm
Welcome to the cafe!

As Greg H has pointed out, Gibson's have a wide price range for their different models. The amount of $$ you have available to spend usually helps refine the search. We don't know how much you want to spend so it's difficult to offer up advise on a particular model.

fatt-dad
Oct-03-2006, 1:51pm
Welcome McApple,

What are you playing now (I mean what's an upgrade to you)?

Good luck in your hunt - that's part of the fun.

f-d

williebruce
Oct-03-2006, 4:49pm
Every new or newer Gibson has a great deal of good qualities, just really depends on what you care to spend on one.

I notice the F-9 is a popular model on this forum. a new one lists for around 2900, but Ive seen a couple used for 1200.00. They are plain Jane, but most that Ive heard have a respectable sound.

I am proud to say that I jumped on the Gibson wagon just yesterday and purchased 2003 F-5G. I got it for 3 even and I don't regret it one bit. Sure is purty and the sound is awesome!

mcapple
Oct-03-2006, 5:29pm
Thanks for all the info. I guess it would have helped if I had mentioned that I have about $3500.00 saved up to spend and could probably go another $500.00 for the right instrument. Right now I have a Samick SM10 a style that I practice with a lot and I also have an F style that was made for me by a man in NC that has a great sound. I have several luthiers tell me that the mando would cost between $4,000 and $6,000. I have been told that if I plan to continue playing I should consider getting a mando that would increase in value over the years and have something to leave my grandkids. Anyway, if you have any other comments after reading this additional info I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Robert

mcapple
Oct-03-2006, 6:06pm
There is an ad at this site fora Gibson F5G that has been modified by having the fretboard extension removed, etc. Will this affect the value of the mandolin in any way? The ad # is 20305.

Thanks!

fredfrank
Oct-03-2006, 6:52pm
Yeah, I think that might affect the resale value a bit. The thing is, none of the current Gibsons are going to increase in value for a good many years. Especially the lower end models. If an F9 lists for $2900, and there's one for sale at $1200, that should give you an idea what to expect. The higher end models, $10K and up will hold their value better, but to see any appreciable increase, you'd have to wait many years.

Buy the best one you can,play it, and enjoy it. Your grandkids can trade it in on a synthesizer when you're gone.

Chris Biorkman
Oct-03-2006, 6:56pm
From the postings I have seen in the classifieds, it seems pretty apparent that the mandolins with aftermarket alterations (scooped extensions, stripped necks, etc.) do not sell for as much as their stock counterparts.

Yellowmandolin
Oct-03-2006, 7:13pm
I understand the "need" to get a Gibson (I have an F5-G, no back or fingerboard binding, laquer finish) but would not count out Collings one bit. They seem to go for less cash than some of the Gibsons with similar features. But in the line of Gibsons in the $3500 range, you can go two way: new or used. I would go used on a Gibson because there are some pretty sweet deals out there. I have played several F9s and have not liked them nearly as much as the higher end Gibson models, or the Collings MF. Good hunting!

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-03-2006, 8:10pm
If you have your heart set on a Gibson, there is an F5-G in the classifieds with and Adirondack top. Buffalo Brothers had a batch of these for awhile. Very nice looking flame on back and sides. Go here and scroll down to Gibson Mandolins, F5-G Custom. Looks like a better deal than the one in the classifieds. http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/mandolins.html

Just in case you want to broaden your search, check out http://www.smokymountainguitars.com/ for a Collings MF or perhaps a Passernig.

Happy hunting #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mikey G
Oct-03-2006, 8:56pm
I had my heart set on a Gibson from the start: I now have an F5G and an F5L. Although the F5G is a good mandolin, my F5L is far superior in appearance, playability, tone, and volume. If you look around, you can find some great deals out there. When you come across "the mandolin" you'll know it. I must warn you that MAS always seems to be lurking out there, luring you back in.

Greg H.
Oct-03-2006, 9:45pm
I have one of the F5 Flamebursts (i.e. F5G with Adirondack and a bound fingerboard that I'm really happy with. (just as an aside, is Adirondack Spruce synonymous with Red Spruce or are those two different species?) Unfortunately, with almost any mandolin it helps a lot to play it first as there's a fair amount of variation so if you're ordering from an our-of-state music store (or individual) make sure they allow sufficient time for you to play it and decide if it's the right one for you. I've played some more expensive mandolins that just didn't do anything for me, then again there are others that just have it (which I have to put away quickly to prevent my hand from uncontrollably reaching for my wallet). I guess my point is don't assume the name is definitely going to mean the best mandolin.

Another option to consider is Charles Johnson (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/instruments.html#top) has a Flatiron F5 Artist right now that is right in your current budget. If you were willing to wait for it you could afford a Sim Daley standard. You've got lots of great options out there so enjoy the hunt. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-03-2006, 10:55pm
[QUOTE]just as an aside, is Adirondack Spruce synonymous with Red Spruce or are those two different species?)

Red Spruce is another name for Adirondack.

williebruce
Oct-04-2006, 2:08am
My F-5G has a scalloped fingerboard extension, but it's done very nicely. True it may hurt the resell in the next few years, but from what Ive noticed, people just do things to mandolins to make them more suitable for the individual. It's been a while back, but I seen an F-5G with Pearl Block Inlays on the fingerboard, made it resemble the Sam Bush model. The pearl blocks were obviously installed by someone other than gibson, but nevertheless, the mandolin sold for 4400.00, that's a hefty price for a used F-5G.

On the other hand, since Gibson discontinued the Flatiron models, they seem to be quickly becoming quite the collectable. There's a couple of Flatirons on the auction site as we speak.

I know I'm telling you what you already know, but be sure the mandolin is something you like before you buy it. I love all sorts of Gibsons, but the name doesn't make it a great mandolin. My cousin purchased an old F-12 a while back from the auction site, and didn't really care for it. David Grisman owns that mandolin now and loves it. Find something you like first and foremost, because I think we all can agree that it really sucks to invest 3500.00 into an instrument that we really don't care to play.

Chris Biorkman
Oct-04-2006, 6:08am
There is a deluxe version of the F-5G with the wider Sam Bush style neck and block inlays that sells for about $500 more than the standard model. I think they have one for sell on Janet Davis' website.

stevem
Oct-04-2006, 4:03pm
If you plan on keeping it for decades, you might want to consider buying new. Used Gibson's carry no warranty in the rare event a problem develops.

That said, you can get MUCH more mando for your money going used. You would be very lucky to find an F9 for $1200, IMO. Most used seem to sell for $1700-$2200. Those that sell at $1500 or less often have alterations, like removed finish from the neck.

If I had around 4k, I'd wait around hope to find a well-priced used Fern. You might want to upgrade an F9 or F5-G, but a Fern would more likely suit you for a lifetime.

The classifieds here are also a good place to search, or even post a want ad. Just make sure to check the seller out before buying. A phone call often calms concerns. And ask for a 48 hour approval so you can return it if you're dissatisfied.

jimbob
Oct-04-2006, 4:09pm
there's an A5 at Elderly for around $2500 and I have seen a couple of the signatures for around $ 4000. I think I saw a Sam Bush just the other day for $ 4000. I bought an Alan Bibey about a year ago for not much more than that. I think the important thing is to shop around and play them if possible. There seems to be a real good selection of #Gibsons around right now. Your original question is hard to answer, so it boils down to value...as realized by you. BTW, no financial interest.

mcapple
Oct-04-2006, 7:30pm
Thanks everybody for all the good info. There seems to a lot of varied opinions but the common thread seems to be that eveyone feels the Gibson would ba good way to go. I had to make a trip to Augusta, Georgia today and I looked up a Gibson dealer and went by to check them out. Would you believe they did not have a single Gibson in stock nor did they have one in the warehouse. So, there goes the chance of trying them out for now. Anyway, I'll keep looking.

Thanks again guys!

Robert

bradeinhorn
Oct-04-2006, 7:45pm
robert -

I agree to play if at all possible first. At a guitar center in Mandhattan the other day I tried out an A-9, F-9, F-5g. Believe it or not, I actually prefered the A-9 over the others. Then again, my buddy was just over with his Fern. Granted it has a couple years playtime on it, but it was far and away better than all the others. So perhaps the higher end ones cost more for a reason.

Considering that you don't seem to be in a situation where you can test run many instruments, I'd probably buy used. a)You've got a lot to spend and b) when you go used you have a much better chance to sell it without taking a big hit (as you would on a new instrument).

who built your current F-style mandolin?

Bob A
Oct-04-2006, 7:55pm
If you're interested in a Gibson that will not lose its value, I recommend vintage. In fact I just saw a 1915 F2 that Gibson put a trussrod neck on much later. F2s are the most undervalued scroll-style gibsons around. With trussrodded F4s being sold for $7000+, the one in the classifieds for 2850 looks to be a sweet deal. (No financial interest; but if I had the extra cash I'd be tempted myself).

Of course it's not the ultimate BG axe, but lots of early BG recordings were made on F4 type oval-hole instruments, and no one back then was complaining.

carleshicks
Oct-05-2006, 6:05am
Sometimes you can find a used Fern for around $4,000 to $5,000 I think that the F-5G's sound as good but the look of the Fern is worth the little extra dough.

mcapple
Oct-05-2006, 8:57am
Bradeinhorn:

My F style was built by Mr. Earl Moretz of Fleetwood, NC.
I love playing it. I have had many compliments on the sound and looks of it. I would never consider getting rid of it. I also have a Samick SM10 A style and a Morgan Monroe Electric /acoustic which I don't play much at all as I don't like the sound of it. My wife bought it for me for my birthday not knowing that us bluegrassers don't electrify our instruments. It has been played about 6 times.

Bob

red7flag
Oct-05-2006, 9:43am
Another option for a Gibson like sound is a Stanley. Chris had one for sale at IBMA for $7200 or $7500 (not sure which). Awesome sound.
Tony

bradeinhorn
Oct-05-2006, 10:22am
So he can buy half of a stanley. Awesome.

red7flag
Oct-05-2006, 10:31am
brade,
I was responding to his first post, but I guess the price range was implied. Your post was appropriate.
Tony

bradeinhorn
Oct-05-2006, 11:41am
just kidding around... my friend michael backed his car over a 1916 A-1 and he has the remains in a box. not a salvagable part exists...Owning half a mandolin is no fun.

red7flag
Oct-05-2006, 2:01pm
Ouch, that half a mando that would be extremely painful. #On another note, I think it is remarkable how distinct the Gibson sound has been over the years. #Very few other makers get it right. #That is not to say they don't make a great sounding mando, just not that Gibson sound. #I probably sound like a Gibson junky and in #sense, I am. #But you will notice none of the mandos I have or are incoming are. #The Stanley is to me what I would want in the Gibson sound. #I have only played one DMM that matched and even exceeded the Stanleys I have played. Just my opinion.
Tony

Mikey G
Oct-05-2006, 10:49pm
Alright then..I sure could use one of those Gibson mandolins with mustard, hmmm hmm. (Sorry: watching Sling Blade.)