PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a mandolin as a mandola?

anchorman86
Oct-03-2006, 8:49am
I'm (hopefully!) stepping up to my 2nd mandolin fairly soon - looking at a few different options right now. I had assumed that I would sell off my Fender FM-52E once I get the new one, but then this idea occurred to me and I decided I had to ask...what would happen if I tried to string the Fender as a mandola? I know it most likely wouldn't have very good tone or intonation - but I wouldn't need it to necessarily. Are the fret lengths different enough to make this impossible - or would the tension cause total structural failure?

Thanks!

JGWoods
Oct-03-2006, 9:34am
If you put on mandola strings I can guess at a few results:
1- the strings won't fit well in the notches at the nut, or bridge.
2- You will have to re set the intonation if you do manage to get the bigger strings settled in the grooves.
3- the shorter scale than a mandola means that if you tune to CGDA you will have low tension on the strings and it will probably sound poor, probably buzz and generally play poorly.
4- It probably won't hurt anything if you want to try it.

Celtic Saguaro
Oct-03-2006, 9:47am
The distance between the frets is purely determined by the string length, so that won't be a problem. I have played a mandolin tuned down a few steps that worked out okay. #But, tuned all the way down to mandola range I would not expect the sound to be very satisfactory, even without all the string problems JGWoods already mentioned. It's liable to sound very thin and particularly weak in the bass.

trevor
Oct-03-2006, 10:21am
You need std mandolin strings for the GDA and a 54 or 56 for the C. Obviously as they are the same GDA should work well. The C should be OK.. You can see my 10 string Capek mandola mandolin on my website. Its std mando scale tuned CGDAE. I love it...

Perry
Oct-03-2006, 12:13pm
I was just reading in a Kentucky fiddle tune book that many old time fiddlers tuned their fiddle as much as three half steps below A440. Though this is not a substitute for mandola
maybe it would scratch the itch to play a slightly deeper sounding instrument. This would only work in a solo context
unless you can transpose a step and a half on the fly http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

anchorman86
Oct-03-2006, 2:08pm
Hmmm...this is becoming a very interesting possibility that I will most likely try if I do indeed upgrade to a new primary mandolin - if it doesn't work I can just throw a regular set back on there and sell the Fender.

Trevor - D'Addario makes a light mandola set with a 52 for the C, think that'd work?

trevor
Oct-03-2006, 2:14pm
Anchorman,
52 would be a bit light, remember the D'Addario set is designed for 16" scale, with a 14" scale, or there abouts, you need to go heavier.

anchorman86
Oct-03-2006, 3:12pm
Ahh, makes sense - I was thinking a lighter string would fit better on the bridge/nut and possibly reduce buzz...but I guess it would then need a lower tension to be tuned to C, so I need a thicker string that would be OK with a higher tension.

I noticed that most 'dola sets have wound As - I should probably use a wound A as well, right?

Jim M.
Oct-03-2006, 3:20pm
I made the switch with the D'Addario J76 and it worked fine for me, but I defer to Trevor's knowledge as he is the king of 10-string mando scale instruments.

Keep in mind that it's not just a matter of switching strings. You will need to re-slot your nut and saddle or the thicker strings will pop out of the slots when you pick. You should also raise the action a bit to keep the bigger strings off the fretboard. Then, if you want to go back to mando, you will need a new nut and saddle.

trevor
Oct-03-2006, 4:57pm
Anchorman,
Remember the GD&A are the same as before just moved over, not using a dola set because its a mando with the dola c added and the e taken away, becomes a dola but mando scale lenght.. if you see what I mean. To put it another way forget dola sets think mando - e + C. Slots at both ends will ideally need adjusting.

mandroid
Oct-03-2006, 5:40pm
I found D'Addario mandola string sets felt #too heavy for the mandola, but fine on the short
14" scale of my 4 string electric , in CGDA # #[and occasionally Bb,F,C,G..]
several folks , johnny gimble of bob wills band for one, use a 4 string in that manner.

Intonation for the C is the longest..naturally.

jmcgann
Oct-03-2006, 6:25pm
I wonder if there wouldn't be issues with string tension (i.e. auto-destruct) ? ? ?

mandroid
Oct-03-2006, 9:59pm
John,
It was an A style Fender 52 electric being spoken of , top isnt that delicate,
a laminate I believe. workmanship on neck joint is a separate issue..
my 4 string is set up, currently #with a 14 , #[nickel] w26,w40,w49,..
double course may suggest lighter , 24, 38, perhaps.
read somewhere that johnny gimble's #4 #were #11, w20, w30, w50.
on a gibby EM150, rewound [more than once] P90.

I see bannana's stocklist still has an EM 150 built as a 4 string originally.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

anchorman86
Oct-14-2006, 10:01pm
Well, my new Rover RM-75 is on the way, so I tried stringing the Fender with a D'Addario Flattop Mandola C (.053, it was the thickest I could find) and a G, D and A from a set of Elixir mediums. I only put four strings on to reduce buzz. It's an interesting sound - certainly not a great sound, but it plays and the intonation is actually not all that bad. It's actually got kind of a tinny, old-timey charm to it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I think I'm gonna keep it this way for now - might experiment with putting the other four strings on and/or raising the action a bit.