PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky M-180

Al Hagensen
Sep-30-2006, 6:50pm
I'm looking for spec's. on this Kentucky M-180 Mando.I'm hoping someone can help.Thanks

Bob Borzelleri
Oct-01-2006, 1:03am
Not sure what you mean by specs. I have a KM-180S that I have had for about 20 years. It's an A model with solid wood. What are you looking to find out specifically?

Al Hagensen
Oct-01-2006, 9:18am
Thanks for your response,I want to find out if it is made of all solid woods,and anything else you can provide.
What do you think of this Mando.,Playability etc.
Thanks for any info.

Bob Borzelleri
Oct-01-2006, 12:03pm
Well, about the only thing I have lamented about it, and lament is too strong a word, is that it doesn't have an adjustable rod in the neck. Not that I seem to have needed one over the years, I always thought it would have been nice to have one.

It sounds much better today than it did when I first bought it. I think it was of an era when some lower cost mandos were actually well made. Mine is #1440x. I seem to recall that it might have been made in Japan.

Al Hagensen
Oct-01-2006, 1:03pm
Thanks,I found this for sale and thought it might be something good to start with.Perhaps I will see about a new Kentucky instead,I'm afraid the neck may warp without the rod.It is on the west coast and i'm in N.J. so I would be buying it sight unseen.
Thank you very much.

fatt-dad
Oct-01-2006, 1:44pm
If properly setup, these are great starter mandolins (and beyond). I've seen these in the price range from $175.00 to $240.00. It should have a solid top and no adjustible truss rod (until the move to Korea - or thereabouts). I think the "made in Japan" KM-180s are just fine instruments and have owned two in the last 5 years.

Good luck.

f-d

Al Hagensen
Oct-01-2006, 4:05pm
Hey Fatt-Dad,
This is a great site,thanks for your input.I'm just trying to figure out if this Mando.is something I should pursue,the asking price is 250.00 and I can't decide if I should try to negotiate it down some and then spend some money on a good setup or just buy a new Kentucky close to this price.What is Your expert opinion?
Thanks for all your help,
MOO

fatt-dad
Oct-01-2006, 9:40pm
If it plays well, has a nice case and is structually sound, it may be worth your time and effort to go with the bird in hand. While it may be priced 20 to 40 bucks over a middle-of-the-road price, if it's what you like and it's in great shape, it's likely worth the convenience. At least this is how I look at these things. If you are looking for an investment (i.e., buy it now and sell it in an upgrade hoping to pick up a few bucks), it'd be a gamble. These KM-180s are not that hard to find, as they've made them for quite a while. Some folks persue the made in Japan ones though, but that'll only get you a little in the price department (you'll be able to move it somewhat faster though). Just my thoughts. . . . . .

f-d

Al Hagensen
Oct-02-2006, 6:28am
Thanks,to both of you for your thoughts and advice.Now to make a decision.Looking forward to having more conversations with all here at this great site,Bye for now.