PDA

View Full Version : CBOM-friendly tech in So. Louisiana?

steve V. johnson
Sep-28-2006, 8:39pm
Hi,

So I got an email from a friend in southern Louisiana who has gotten a Trinity College OM for a great price on auction. But, since no great price is without a price, the TC needs a checkup from a setup artist.

My friend lives pretty well below N.O., and the local shop is sure to be very puzzled at the OM, since they're not much on mandolins, even.

So, I got excited to find a place somewhere between Baton Rouge and the Gulf waters that can look at an OM with some understanding, and where else would I come to ask but here?

Also (and I'm sure this has been done here before...) what are good &/or common string gauges, brands, etc., for the Trinity? I suggested that my friend search the archives, but ... I hadda ask... it was on my mind. <GG>

I expect that my friend will show up here before too long for a welcome to our world...

Thanks very much,

stv

mmdm
Sep-29-2006, 8:28am
Hi Steve! Thanks for asking the right questions for me! Actually, I live above NO, though, on the North Shore. I hope someone can recommend something.:)

GBG
Sep-29-2006, 9:33am
There is an excellent luthier in Baton Rouge at Riverfront Music. His name is Holger Hotzel at 225-926-1976. Jimmy Foster in Covington may also be able to help you, if you can get him to do it-he builds hollow body guitars.

mmdm
Sep-29-2006, 9:45am
There is an excellent luthier in Baton Rouge at Riverfront Music. His name is Holger Hotzel at 225-926-1976. Jimmy Foster in Covington may also be able to help you, if you can get him to do it-he builds hollow body guitars.

Great, thanks! Covington is closer but if JF doesn't have a shop, I'll try the one in Baton Rouge. I'll see if I can find Riverfront Music. Found it on google maps and don't know that street, but I'm sure I can find it. You guys know everything here. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

GBG
Sep-29-2006, 1:27pm
Jimmy Foster has a website, Foster Guitars I think. Another possibility would be to contact Beth Patterson, a local Irish music performer in New Orleans. She plays a Foley zouk and may know how to set it up or at least recommend someone to do it.

mmdm
Sep-29-2006, 2:06pm
Found the Foster website. These guys are such pros. Won't they laugh at me and my little TCOM? Or at the very least, charge me an arm and a leg for expecting them to do such trivial work as replacing strings and bridge on a cheap mandolin?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif I think I'd be afraid to even speak to someone who can actually BUILD such beautiful guitars.

I think I will just email him and see if he knows a good shop in the area.