PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Classifieds

Alex Fields
Sep-27-2006, 11:29pm
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I don't know where else to go...

I just tried to post an ad in the classifieds and was given a message that said my ad contained permanently banned words. I can't imagine what this could have been refering to unless there is some flaw in the censor code. What follows is the exact text of the ad I tried to post: any help would be appreciated.

Wanted: Phoenix Neoclassical

I really want an instrument designed for light gauge strings and playability, and the Neoclassical is the obvious choice. I have a Parsons F-5 mandolin (they sell for $3500 new I think) that I just set up: looks great (some minor wear and stuff but aside from that the finish looks brand new), plays great, sounds great. I also have some other stuff I could trade (more productive to talk about it later than to try to make a list here I think), maybe even an extremely nice fiddle I have if the deal is right. What I don't have is enough cash to just buy one of these. But if you have one (or another nice instrument designed for light gauge strings--I'm not set on anything specific) and are interested in some type of (mostly) trade deal, please contact me. Hey, if it doesn't work out, the most we've wasted is a little time typing. Thanks for any interest.

-Alex Fields

Scott Tichenor
Sep-28-2006, 8:10am
Alex, I emailed you in regard to this alredy as soon as I saw it this a.m. The word 'typing' was what got caught in the filter.

Most people have no idea what goes on behind the scenes with the classifieds, but the reality is that several times a day there are spam attempts on the classifieds from all over the world. Make your fortune *typing* at home is just one of them. The rest, you know the subject matter. Banning email addresses and domain names just doesn't work. They just get another. In the past, when the censor was hit the software highlighted the term that was caught in the filter. Easy enough for them at that point to simply back up, alter that word, and in the spam went for our viewing pleasure.

Once in awhile though, an honest ad gets caught and you already have my apology via email, but I'll make it here in public as well. The long-term solution to this is requiring passwords, logins, etc. for submitting ads or replying to classifieds. Ultimately that'll likely be required.

For the record, just in the past 90 days these same spammers have started registering for message board accounts here. I've probably denied over 300 accounts bent on telling us the latest male hormone secrets. We've yet to see these ads here, and that's because I monitor all registrations so that these folks peddle their goods elsewhere.

Now, on a lighter note, I recently had someone mispell their address and it took about 15 minutes for me to figure out what term got caught in the filter. Advice: be careful how you spell "peninsula".
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Alex Fields
Sep-28-2006, 8:49am
Haha. Thanks, and it's no problem, I figured it was something like that.

tiltman
Sep-28-2006, 11:20am
i was hoping that male hormones would improve my playing...
kirk

recklessmando
Sep-28-2006, 12:14pm
I play for more than four hours at a stretch all the time. Do I need to call someone?

glauber
Sep-28-2006, 12:19pm
I type for hours, at work. I wonder if i should be staying home and racking up the money, instead.

mandroid
Sep-28-2006, 12:52pm
Floyd Landis endorse any of them male hormones ?

Jim MacDaniel
Sep-28-2006, 1:56pm
Now, on a lighter note, I recently had someone mispell their address and it took about 15 minutes for me to figure out what term got caught in the filter. Advice: be careful how you spell "peninsula".
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
Coincidentally I just received some SPAM that was hawking an herbal remedy for people who are disatisfied with the size of their peninsula, so I forwarded it on to a friend in Palo Alto.

mythicfish
Sep-28-2006, 3:27pm
... or it may have been filtered because you were thinking about the chitinous shield covering the back of certain nearly extinct sea-going turtles.

Curt

Alex Fields
Sep-28-2006, 6:36pm
I said nothing of such chitinous shields--the problem was, as Scott said, the word "typing." I had the word "picks" (but nothing more) included my original ad, so I figured that may have triggered a censor, but I edited it to exactly what is posted above and the censor still tripped, so I posted here.

I wasn't refering exclusively to shell (I tried the Tortis picks and don't care for them so I want to get rid of that) and in any case not all such things are illegal and I know for a fact that people I associate with who cut and sell those picks get the material from an antique dealer, which is perfectly legal. No imported material, no killing of turtles post-endangered status.

As a biologist (well, student), an environmentalist, a vegetarian, and an animal rights...er, person...I certainly don't support the killing of endangered species. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif