PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Choir Music

Randy
Apr-22-2004, 10:28am
I just ran across a book called "Jewels" arranged by John Darnall, put out by Word Music. It contains 12 songs, all arranged for the church choir, or for solos, duets, and other groups. Liked it so much, I bought books for each of my choir members. The accompaniment is meant to be played by guitar, mandolin, dobro, bass and fiddle, and recorded CD's are available, but the songs are simple enough to be played by most pickers. (Sorry, no banjo. Well, maybe not that sorry.) I found this at the local Lifeway (Baptist Book Store) but I read that you can get them direct from praisegathering.com. Pretty good stuff for the choir who wants to do some BG, and for around $9 a book (12 songs) not bad either.
My choir started work on "Angel Band" and a BG arrangement of "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" last night. They love it.

John Flynn
Apr-22-2004, 11:32am
Good tip. Here is another one, if you can find it: King Records has a CD out called "Nashville Mandolins: 20 Greatest Gospel Hits" or something like that. I don't have it in front of me. It can sometimes be found on CD sale racks in discount department stores. The CD doesn't even say who plays on it, but my instructor says the mando player is either Butch Baldassari or someone who has done a great job of copying his style. It is all instrumental and covers many of the Gospel standards.

Moose
Apr-23-2004, 9:35am
Just as a "side-note"..: about two years ago - listening to the Opry via WSM radio, Charlie Louvin mentioned that a choir master of a church(I have forgotten where!##) organized and was presenting with the choir... "An Evening of Louvin Brothers Gospel Music" - Guss the Louvin Brothers still live, eh!? - Sorry to digress but I just had to contribute this anecdote. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

LeftCoastMark
Apr-23-2004, 3:40pm
For good bluegrass music sung with feeling, 2-3 sinners required, otherwise, it's just another choir. If you're working hard on your redemption, you can probably sing that bluegrass with real feeling. Avoid churches.

Bradley
Apr-23-2004, 4:03pm
[QUOTE]...Avoid churches.

I wouldnt agree with that at all.

Now I would say to have it sung by church folks who havent forgotten where they would have been "had it no been for the lord on their side" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Moose
Apr-26-2004, 9:22am
Ah!! - this thread is really gettin' good!. Go for it(but of course, don't get tooo far off-thread). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Randy
May-05-2004, 12:29pm
Well, I take a couple of weeks off from the board, come back and find that my simple little notice about a bluegrass choir book has gone off into other realms.
Here's my take: Bluegrass is best performed by four or five folks, not by a typical choir. Yes, I've been around choirs that can't "let their hair down" enough to sing less than classical music, who wouldn't know spirit if the Spirit got inside their choir robes. Yet, the little country church choir that I direct (who don't use robes and never will, and sing with spirit if not with great skill) would have a very difficult time singing classical music, wouldn't like it, and would probably kick me right out on my keester. But these folks were raised on country, bluegrass and traditional music, listen to it in their homes, cars, and tractors, and were delighted to have songs to sing in the bluegrass style. Granted, the arrangements are a little "cottage cheese-like" in that they are done with a larger number of singers in mind, but they do maintain the BG sound.
All I wanted to do here was to put out the word about this compilation. And if there are other small choirs or groups that wanted to do some BG Gospel, here is a book that might make it a little easier.
By the way, Mando Johnny, I did pick up the CD you refered to. Not too shabby, and for less than five bucks at the local KMart, it's hard to beat. Thanks for the heads-up.