PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Heart: No Other Way

levin4now
Jan-29-2004, 10:04pm
Folks, Just bought the No Other Way CD by Mountain Heart. Never heard them sing before. THought they came highly recommended. Anyone want to second that? (Before I open it). Or should I go get Robinella and the CC Band, or maybe the 2cd Bill Monroe tribute? (Not much selection at my local store...)

[....and who is Mountain Heart's mandolinist? Feel stupid asking. Seems like it might be Alan Bibey or Adam Steffey....]

ADM

Scotti Adams
Jan-29-2004, 10:15pm
..Steffey was the original mando player...he then quit and went with the Isaacs then toured with the Dixie Chicks....he is now back with the Heart....the name escapes me now of the mando player who joined them after Steff left the first time. I say..go ahead and open it...you wont be sorry....good singin and pickin...pay close attention to the banjo player...Barry Abernathy....hes only got one finger on his left hand...and a couple of partial fingers there too.....simply amazing...he can flat get it done...

sunburst
Jan-29-2004, 11:16pm
Scotti, I started to mention Barry Abernathy in the thread about having big hands and not being able to do certain things on the mando. Barry is the perfect example of how good you can sound if you stick with what you CAN do, and learn to do it well. An inspiration to me and many others. We're not saying he sounds good "for somebody without fingers", we're saying he sounds GOOD, y'all.

Scotti Adams
Jan-30-2004, 12:18am
..yea...if we hadnt of told you..you wouldnt have even known of his handicap...it doesnt seem to hinder him any...

Steve K
Jan-30-2004, 5:54am
[QUOTE]the name escapes me now of the mando player who joined them after Steff left the first time.>>

Alan Pardue

Scotti Adams
Jan-30-2004, 7:38am
yep...thats it..thanks steve..

Kevin K
Jan-30-2004, 8:16am
Mountain Heart is some of the best you'll hear. All of those guys are super.

cutbait2
Jan-30-2004, 8:22am
great live show too, one of the best

Scotti Adams
Jan-30-2004, 8:30am
..and Steve Gulley can sing tenor to a dog whistle...

Flowerpot
Jan-30-2004, 5:15pm
Yea, those guys have got it together... If you have not heard their newer gospel release 'The Journey' (I think that's the name), you need to get that one too. It's incredible, and to me raises the bar for what a bluegrass gospel recording can be. It's one of those recordings that has just the right combination of fast vs slow, acapella vs non, traditional vs modern, and somehow makes them all fit together well, and has power behind it without being preachy. A must own CD!

And speaking of Barry Abernathy, I though it's interesting that neither he nor the band make a big deal out of his handicap, and don't mention anything about it in the liner notes to their CD's. So many people in the same position would be tempted to play up the "Oooh, look at what I can do with no fingers, aren't you impressed" factor instead of just being a bluegrass musician. He's a class act.

mandofiddle
Jan-30-2004, 5:29pm
YES!!! You should definitely open this CD! One of my favorites in my extensive collection. I just wish they aloud live taping...

Dfyngravity
Jan-31-2004, 1:29pm
Mountain Heart...well that is my next to favorite band. Lonesome River Band just makes the top of my list. But I tell you what, Mountain Heart can pack a punch when it comes time to playing bluegrass. As mentioned earlier, Mountain Heart was formed by Adam Steffey who was with Alison Krauss before Dan Tyminski joined. Then Steffey left to play with the Isaacs and Alan Perdue took over the roll of playing mandolin. I tell you what though, he is another fabulous player. Now that Steffey is back there is only one other line up change and that is on bass. It was Johnny Dowdle and now it's Jason Moore. "No Other Way" is a fabulous CD and if you like bluegrass than there is no way that you won't like Mountain Heart.

Jeff Wheelock
Feb-08-2004, 1:05pm
Had to chime in on this thread. #My wife and I saw Mountain Heart last night in Cartersville, GA. #They played the Grand Theater, a converted movie house that holds 300-400. #They were absolutely awesome!! #My wife is slowly warming up to bluegrass and she said they were the best band (bluegrass or otherwise) that she had ever seen. #Extremely polished show. #Very clean stage setup (everything must have been wireless) that allowed the guys to wander about and interact. #Great sound mixing. #I even got to speak to Adam and the others in the lobby after the show. #Adam said he was playing his Gibson signature F5 (number 3 of 50) and that Gibson was considering making a few more, but with a varnish finish. #They have my vote for IBMA entertainers of the year!

dixiecreek
Feb-09-2004, 4:39am
I have that CD and I'd definitely reommend it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

levin4now
Feb-10-2004, 8:17am
Well, I didn't mean to keep y'all in suspense or anything (as if you were waiting with baited breath), but I DID open the CD. #I figured I'd come out and say what I first thought. #I opened it, stuck it in, and went to work on the computer, so the music wasn't loud at all. #At first, I wasn't too impressed. #A little more modern than all the stuff I've been listening to lately it seemed, and no flashy mandolin breaks for the first while. #I kind of expected to be blasted by their musicianship whereas I think they come at you with their singing and songwriting off the bat with this CD. #Would you agree?

But listening to it now a few more times, it has really started to grow on me.

The ninth track on that CD is awesome. #If I could get a few guys to sing like that for church, I'd do it. #Now the trick is to find a bunch that could!

Great CD. Glad I have it.

Garrett
Feb-12-2004, 1:34pm
I think that Mountain Heart are much, much better live than on CD. A lot of bands are, but I really love Mountain Heart live and do not like the CDs.

doublestop
Feb-14-2004, 6:18pm
I love them and Adam is a very humble and approachable guy! What are ya waitin' for. Open it!!

levin4now
Feb-16-2004, 6:03pm
hey dblstop, i did open it (way back the night I got it of course!) and i did mention to y'all two posts ago....but it was good to get all these opinions.

thanks to all!

Joe Mangio
Feb-16-2004, 8:37pm
Cought MH Saturday at Joe Val Festival, Great show, and the harmony singing, especialy the gospel tunes were soooooo tight.