PDA

View Full Version : Pro Plec picks

mmukav
Apr-22-2004, 9:13am
Where can you get Pro Plec picks? Are they any good?

jeffshuniak
Apr-22-2004, 9:19am
big city strings has them.... on the net of course... they are ok... I am lefty and possibly a little brutal with my attack, in the bad way you know.... so I wear the edges on these things, I could go thru two or three in a night (at a gig). I dont like them anymore, but I am sure its my technique.... I use ivory, derlin, real TS, and I'll try anthing...I play a old style mandolin , classical, they are a little too thick for me, 1.5, I go between .70 and 1.3 or something, I dont mind heavy , but they feel real thick too. for the price they are worth checking out, you may not have my problem, especially if you have a technique, hope yours its better than mine. and if you play an archtop or bluegrass mandolin you may like that thick pick ?
also I think "vintage pro plec" I dont know, I think thats the phrase that will find you some sources on the net..... I think thats how I found them.

futrconslr
Apr-22-2004, 9:36am
I tried them and I like the sound but have been unable to find the regular tear drop. I use the shoulder of the pic not the point. The big triangles are to pointed and if i wear the point down it takes the bevel off. Maybe someone can tell me how to take the point off a pick and still keep the bevel?

Coy Wylie
Apr-22-2004, 12:15pm
I have one I on which I filed the point off and then rebeveled it using a fine file. There's good but I like Dunlop Ultex better... personal preference issue.

futrconslr
Apr-22-2004, 10:12pm
I tried the Ultex in a 1 and a 1.14....I think if I got a 1.2 or 1.5 I would like it better

dfrady
Apr-23-2004, 11:39am
Elderly sells them for $.60 a piece, I have tried the Proplecs and they are a very nice pick, but i have found that i like the 1.14mm Dunlop Ultex a little better, i think they have a little better sound, but as i said the proplec's are a very nice pick. Good Luck on what ever you decide to do !!!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

neal
Apr-23-2004, 12:49pm
What do the Dawg picks compare to? Just got a few, like them pretty much, different tone than the fender heavies I've been using. I like the shape a lot, would a bone/ivory be much different? Any synthetic picks like bone? Thanks

KevinM
Apr-23-2004, 1:35pm
I have in my case two Tortis picks, the Vintage D'Andrea Proplecs. and Dawg picks. Depends on the weather which one I use, but each is night and day in terms of sound, feel etc. Tortis are brighter than Dawgs, Dawgs feel heavy and "dark", and Proplecs in between. Proplecs feel the best in my hand in terms of grip, and I usually reach for them first - great for tremolo and really bearing down on the thing. They are also the cheapest ($1.60 as opposed to $20.00 for one TorTis.)

K_D
Apr-23-2004, 2:01pm
I get my Pro-Plecs from Greg Boyd. They had both teardrop and triangle types last time I ordered them.
Keith

Michael H Geimer
Apr-23-2004, 3:30pm
My favorite pick is a Pro-Plec ...

... one that I first rounded off to a Dawg-like shape and re-beveled. I then handed it to a guitar-playing friend who really chipped away at it - in ONE gig as was said above! Of course, now that it's truly one-of and irreplaceable ... it is my favorite.

But ... my pick preferences change every other day, so ... YMMV.

futrconslr
Apr-25-2004, 8:30am
I dont like the dawg picks. I like the shape just fine but not the thickness or the sound...Its just a little too muddy. Maybe I will experiment with files and sandpaper....we shall see....in the meantime, I will look for the standard teardrop....the funny thing is, I live in NASHVILLE.....you would think that SOMEONE would sell them here. I have tried everystore I know and have only found the triangles.