PDA

View Full Version : Flinthills #7 in the Flint Hills

Mark Franzke
Sep-25-2006, 9:08pm
I just finished this one to have at Winfield. I pulled off the turnpike on the way down to take the picture. I used all maple bindings on this one, and gloss lacquer. Red, mahogany, and black color tone thinned with alcohol.

Mark Franzke
Sep-25-2006, 9:09pm
Here is a close up of the bindings.

Mark Franzke
Sep-25-2006, 9:10pm
The backside:

Mark Franzke
Sep-25-2006, 9:11pm
And the headstock:

unklemean
Sep-25-2006, 11:07pm
nicely done

jmkatcher
Sep-25-2006, 11:08pm
Very very pretty. The headstock inlay is very tasteful, too.

HoGo
Sep-26-2006, 4:46am
Beautiful mandolin!
Did you seal the bindings before staining? I'm on my #7 now and #8 I plan to go back to maple bindings for #8.

Mark Franzke
Sep-26-2006, 9:21am
I put a piece of black plastic binding between the body and the maple binding, and then protected the binding with masking tape. The plastic acted like a dam to keep the stain from bleeding. I wiped the reddish stain on starting in the center and worked it close to the edge keeping it fairly dry around the edges. Then I airbrushed along the edge, spraying lightly to keep it from going on wet. Then airbrushed the darker colors. There was minimal scraping of the binding.

HoGo
Sep-27-2006, 3:23am
Thanks.
Keeping it dry at the tape was wise. I did tests with masking tape years ago and the stain seems to get under the tape wery easily. So I ended up spraying colored varnish and scraped the bindings. I'll probably try sealing with lacquer with artist brush next time, so I will be able to use stains on bare wood.