PDA

View Full Version : Case Recommendation

Rick Albertson
Sep-22-2006, 9:56am
Recently purchased a 1921 Gibson F-4 in incredible condition. Completely original, no repairs. Came with original case.

Want to purchase a good, very protective case for everyday use (flight protection not necessary).

I've looked and looked, can't decide. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Rick

thiggins
Sep-22-2006, 9:58am
Get a Calton. If you get something else, you'll just end up saving enough money to buy the Calton, and wish you had.

Tim

Michael Lewis
Sep-23-2006, 2:33am
Agree. Get a Calton. Once you have one you will know why.

Steven Stone
Sep-23-2006, 9:46am
Make my post a third vote for a Calton. Get a custom, specifically made for your mando.

I love my Pegasus, but with the echange rate it's even more money and offers equal, but not greater, protection.

danb
Sep-23-2006, 10:17am
I prefer the Pegasus personally, the shape of it is much more ergonomic when you carry with a strap etc. I would get bruised ribs from the calton! Sam's got better balance on the handle, and the rounded shape fits better around shoulders etc. I also have always really appreciated the "marshmallows" and peghead protection, I have always been paranoid about whiplash. When I had the Loar in the calton I'd put socks around the peghead..

danb
Sep-23-2006, 11:22am
Here's an F4 I used to have in my Pegasus

rbmando
Sep-23-2006, 1:30pm
My Pegasus case will take an F4 as well as an F5. That way it can be used on more of your instruments.

Rick Albertson
Sep-23-2006, 1:47pm
Thanks for all suggestions.

Any recommendations where to get a Calton or Pegasus fairly quickly in the U.S.?

Know of any used ones available?

Thanks.

Rick

rbmando
Sep-24-2006, 11:34am
An F4 or F5 will also fit in a standard Presto case.

mythicfish
Sep-24-2006, 12:23pm
That's an easy one ...
The more money you can spend, the more careless you can afford to be.
What else would explain why so many Volvo owners are such bad drivers?

Curt

JEStanek
Sep-24-2006, 1:32pm
That's an easy one ...
The more money you can spend, the more careless you can afford to be.
What else would explain why so many Volvo owners are such bad drivers?

Curt
Que? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif I've not heard of/seen a Loar owner carelessly throwing thier mando around.

I've heard of Loars in Travelites and Loars in Calton's.

Jamie

Ken Waltham
Sep-24-2006, 4:08pm
To me, it's a no-brainer. Get a Calton. Mine have the string pocket moved forward to accomadate an F4, or an F5.

BBarton
Sep-25-2006, 6:13pm
'Just so happens there's a Calton F-4 case for sale in the classified (ad #20021). May be what you're looking for.