PDA

View Full Version : Skip Gorman

bud
Sep-20-2006, 7:40pm
Just wanted to let you all know about a show at the Cook Shack in Union
Grove, NC tomorrow night.

I met Skip recently at the Monroe mandolin camp and he can really pick.
His is a great guy also.

Skip and Richard are extremely well-known and respected in the circle of
professional musicians. Skip has recorded music for Ken Burns on
several of his popular PBS documentaries and Richard is one of THE
experts on Martin Guitars, having worked as a demonstration player and
luthier for 25 years. These guys are old friends who have recorded and
played all over the world. Together they are awesome.

Tickets are still available. If you would like more information, send me
an email.

Bud Martin
Hamptonville, NC
704-252-3009

red7flag
Sep-20-2006, 10:10pm
I second Bud's comments. #I also got his "Mandolin in the Cow Camp", a 2 CD collection of all types of songs. #His arrangements are simple on one level, but like Monroe, the more you hear it, the more you appreciate the complexity of the music. #There are back rhythms sort of like a clawhammer banjo. It is a great listen. #They guy can really play a mandolin. #I noticed that when he played his Gibson Fern, the instrument really sounded awesome. #When others including Mike Compton played it, not nearly as awesome. #Then I realized what a strong right hand he has.
Tony

robinsmith
Sep-21-2006, 9:17am
I have to agree the Mandolin in the Cow Camp is incredible. The sounds coming from what sounds like a three point are amazing. The songs ain't so bad either. Makes me want to run out on the prairie and pick while I stare at the moon. Coyotes would love that.???

Cary Fagan
Sep-21-2006, 12:38pm
One of my moments of mandolin heaven was sitting in a cabin room at Mandolin Camp North with six or eight other pickers while Skip Gorman and Richard Starkey played one Monroe instrumental after another. It was phenomenal. Skip was having such a good time he didn't want to stop. And we didn't want him too either. We almost missed lunch!