PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - Eastman 505 or MK TMS?

jk10003
Sep-19-2006, 7:32am
Sorry to go over this ground again, but people seem happy to give opinions. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

After playing banjo years ago, I’d like to learn bluegrass mandolin. #I’m figuring that I don’t want to go over $500 for a beginning instrument. #After an afternoon of walking the streets of New York City, I was surprised that I could not find anything in this range. So I am left to other options and opinions and maybe sales from the folks out on the Internet.

After looking around some, the two instruments that interest me the most are the Eastman 505 and the Michael Kelly Special made for The Mandolin Store. #I’ve seen many wise opinions saying that money is better spent put into an A with better wood, sound and feel, not into scrolls, but I’ve also always been seduced by the look of an F model (I’ve loved the sound of an F too, but I know I’m not buying a Gibson). #Any opinions on these models?

The Michael Kelly would come from The Mandolin Store (Dennis Vance was helpful and friendly on the phone). #The Eastman, for me, would come from Mandolin Brothers (my apologies to Stephen Perry, who seems to be a very active and helpful participant here, but I can drive to them whenever I want, which seems to be a significant advantage). #Does anyone have experiences or advice in dealing with either shop?

Thanks very much for any wisdom.

JK

Brady Smith
Sep-19-2006, 7:46am
My MK came from the Mandolin Store. Dennis was very knowledgeable and professional and has the cheapest prices...plus only a half hour away, I didn't have to deal with the internet and was able to hear it and see it before I bought it. Although some say the MK's can be hit or miss, it appears I got one of the better ones. Make sure you do the same the best you can.

Red Englemann
Sep-19-2006, 8:14am
What sold me on Eastman was that it was a hand carved product.

I bought the 504 in January for around $500 which still seems like a nice price for an exceptional instrument. It sound better than most early 1900 Gibson's and that was the sound I was seeking. Your experiances may vary. I use DA J74's and these are the best strings for this instrument.

Proper set up is going to be important so it plays well. Mandolin Bros have a great reputation from what I have heard.

Red

gnelson651
Sep-19-2006, 9:13am
I have an Eastman 805, love it and the sound. It was playable right out the case.

I also have a MK Legacy Deluxe, hate it and its tinny sound. I paid for a profressional setup and the neck is still out of wack. The lacquer is so thick, its bullet proof.

I say get an Eastman, you get better quality and sound for a few dollars more.

Greg H.
Sep-19-2006, 11:36am
With instruments at this price level there's a lot of variability between instruments so I feel you'd be better off going to Mandolin Bros. where you can try the instruments and see what sounds--AND FEELS, at this price range feel matters a good bit--best to you. All of our opinions are very subjective (of course I know the perfect mandolin for you, and you can get for less than a Lexus # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ) so I'd say play every mandolin you can get your hands on there and get the one you like best (and can afford).