PDA

View Full Version : buying a guitar

ira
Sep-18-2006, 7:47pm
hi folks,

got a 1/2 size applause pos from my brother for free and since messing around, decided to get a guitar in case i feel like jumping out to an open mic and want to play a bit solo, plus will be better for leading songs at the summer camp where i work than mando. also- never hurts to know more instuments.
i have some questions re: what i want to get (i've tried a bunch). i know many here have much 6 string experience.
i don't want to clog this board with non-mando long thread, but i trust the opinions of many here, so please pm me, so i can ask you my questions if you wouldn't mind sharing.
thanks,
ira

Steven Stone
Sep-18-2006, 8:02pm
If you want something that is indestructable AND sounds pretty darn good look for a CA (Composite Acoustics) guitar. They are all-graphite, with traditional bracing.

fatt-dad
Sep-18-2006, 9:04pm
buy a Martin 00-15 or 000-15.

f-d

DryBones
Sep-18-2006, 9:11pm
any reasonably priced Godin-made should fit the bill just fine. Seagull,Simon and Patrick,Art and Luthiere,Godin. All made by the same Canadian company, all sound and play great and all have models for under $500. AND they show up on eBay for even less.

cooper4205
Sep-18-2006, 9:14pm
for a great guitar under $800, those new guild GAD-30 (OM body) are great. wood binding,all solid sitka top rosewood (or mahagony) back and sides.

mandomadman
Sep-18-2006, 9:46pm
Ibanez continues to make incredible sounding,playing,looking and well built acoustics in the $500 relm. I've got an AW-100 model ($350) that thinks it's a Martin.

Responding to this non-mando thread makes me feel dirty. And reminds me that I don't play my geetars very much these days.

MartinD_GibsonA
Sep-18-2006, 10:10pm
You should also post your question in the Beginners section here (http://acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/Ultimatebb.cgi).

Don Smith

mfalkner
Sep-19-2006, 9:49am
I think it's fine to post right there. No reason not to help out.

In the under $1000 range there are a lot of outstanding options. Martin 15 series, Tacoma, Epiphone Masterbilt series, and Blueridge all offer great sounding
solid wood guitars that range from $400 used to $800 new.

JGWoods
Sep-19-2006, 10:10am
I've got a Martin Graphite II that is indestructable- I think I could paddle a canoe with it, yet it sounds good like a Martin should.
They discontinued it, but they still make plenty of mostly uh, plastic- HPL = high pressure laminate= countertop fromica- guitars, some with wood tops, and they sound remarkably good. Inexpensive too.
I can lead 15 people in singing with mine and they can all hear it, not plugged in.

Jonathan Peck
Sep-19-2006, 10:15am
Ira,

There are a couple of things youy might consider before buying a guitar. For starters, you can get alot more guitar for your money if you buy a "used" one. You can also resell it for pretty much what you paid for it.

Also, there's alot of different types of guitars to choose from. Most bluegrass players prefer either a mahogony or rosewood dreadnaught, while blues players like a small bodied mahogony parlor size guitar.

Guitar tone woods have different sound properties, and inexpensive guitars can be made out of either solid wood or laminated wood (plywood). Guitars also come with different scale necks and nut widths.

Can you can tell us your price range and the type of music that you will be playing?

olgraypat
Sep-19-2006, 10:24am
Second the recommendation on the Martin. You can't go wrong. If you can't afford something you like in the Martin line, I also recommend one of the Godin products mentioned. I have Martin and Art and Lutherie guitars and like them both. Again, as always it comes down to what kind of music you want to play and what you like. Try a bunch of them.

ira
Sep-19-2006, 10:25am
looking for a starter/cheapie that plays well:
have looked at/played/thinking about:
yamaha fg700
takamine eg340sc
crafter (forgot#)slopeshoulder dread
washburn d10s
hagstrom d100

all (except hag for which i can't find info) get great writeups on all sites that i've seen, but don't know anyone who personally owns one of them. obviously wish i had more cash and could go higher, but these all have solid tops (spruce or cedar), and the ones i've played have good action and nice tone to my ears.
thanks for all the input and i look forward to more.
ira

ira
Sep-19-2006, 10:26am
ps- styles: folk, rock, blues

Steve Davis
Sep-19-2006, 10:26am
I'd suggest that you play every guitar that you can get your hands on until you find "The One" that feels good and sounds good to you.

Walter Newton
Sep-19-2006, 10:35am
In your lower price range I agree 100% with the suggestions to go with a Canadian made Seagull or other Godin brand (Simon and Patrick, Art & Luthiere etc.)

Jonathan Peck
Sep-19-2006, 10:42am
You could also look at some of the older lawsuit Takamine's or Guild's. <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Takamine-6-String-Guitar_W0QQitemZ200027119122QQihZ010QQcategoryZ330 30QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
" target="_blank">F-340S</a>

Keith Owen
Sep-19-2006, 11:17am
I bought my son an Alvarez RD-20SB acoustic with active pickup. It sounds great, is LOUD, stays in tune, electronics are passable, and cost $333 with tax, brand new.

It is a perfect guitar for open mikes, gigs, etc where you don't want to have to worry too much about what happens to it. It's nice to have the ability to plug in as well.

However, I also heartily second the Seagull recommmendation if you are willing to spend a little more. They are the best guitar for the money I think.

jmkatcher
Sep-19-2006, 11:54am
+1 for the older lawsuit Takamines. My wife has an amazing F360S.

Also, the lower end Yamaha FGs are excellent. I just picked up a FG720 12-string for $250 that I prefer to my wife's Martin 12.