PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Vintage Case

mangorockfish
Sep-16-2006, 12:08pm
Did the Golden Gate Vintage case have the little red stripe around it? Pictures of the new ones don't show the stripe.
What is the general consencus of the quality of these cases? I've heard that the latches and hinges are not first-rate, but I've never seen one except pictures. I do like the looks of them better than any others.

How do they fit the Eastman Fs?

danb
Sep-16-2006, 12:43pm
They're pretty decent. Fit F4s & F5s. The material isn't the velvet from the early ones.. and you will want to replace the lousy handles. I've seen about 6 of them, one a friend has has one latch that doesn't line up correctly.. but they are nice. The shaped hardshells form the teens etc are kind of a retro-look as well, and these hold that illusion until you open them anyway

Daniel Nestlerode
Sep-16-2006, 4:23pm
I've had two. IMO, they're cheap in the worst sense of the word. The case is too flexible, so the top and bottom can become misaligned easily. The hardware is too light to have any durability, especially the locking latch. The button on the locking latch is riveted into place. After a couple of weeks of use, both of the cases I owned lost their latch buttons. They just popped off.

I suppose if the hardware was decent quality that I would use the case. I don't mind that the sides are flexible, the hardware could accomodate that. But as they are, these cases aren't worth the money. Spend less, get the Travelite case.

Just my opinion,
Daniel

Gail Hester
Sep-16-2006, 5:50pm
I just received one of the new ones and I like it. I ordered it out of curiosity and to see if my new F4 would fit, it does. The latches are cheesy and could definitely be better quality. I haven’t noticed a problem with flexible sides or the handle. They do not accommodate a tone-gard. They have a great vintage vibe but they could be really nice with better hardware and a little more room although the fit is similar to the old F4 case I had. I think it was worth it for $69.

Gail Hester
Sep-16-2006, 5:51pm
Here's the fit with an F5.

Gail Hester
Sep-16-2006, 5:55pm
I met a gentleman at Wintergrass last year who has been carrying a Master Model in one of these for several years. Absolutely NFI.

mangorockfish
Sep-16-2006, 9:38pm
Thanks for the info. I sure would like to have one, but if the handles and other hardware is lacking, I guess I'll go elsewhere.
I don't really need a case, just want a really good one that resembles the shape of the Golden Gate Vintage. Any suggestions?

Fretbear
Sep-16-2006, 11:16pm
Check out Steve Smith at Cumberlandacoustic.com; he has one that looks just the same, but it could be from a different supplier.

mandolin123
Sep-16-2006, 11:33pm
Not a bad case for the money. It could be a little more padded. I carry a Rover around in it fromy beater. Storage is a little limited if you like to carry a few extras as I do.