PDA

View Full Version : Oh, That's Mandolin

Eugene
Apr-21-2004, 1:05pm
Our old friend Kasper Wong (who has forgotten his Cafe username) sent a link to a new site, Oh, That's Mandolin (http://ohthatsmandolin.web.infoseek.co.jp/Title/index_all.html), and asked that I post it. #Looks interesting. #Any site that features Ranieri, Rocco, and Siegel on the home page can't be bad. #Most exciting may be the substantial list of solos available as *.pdf files in their "Sheet Music Library." #Check it out.

margora
Apr-21-2004, 1:26pm
The sheet music library is outstanding. What a find!

Jim Garber
Apr-21-2004, 1:46pm
Thanks, Eugene, for the "heads up!"

Did anyone have problems downloading Romanza in D Minor by William Place Jr.? I can't seem to access it.

Does anyone speak Japanese so we can find out what the other pages say?

Jim

Alex Timmerman
Apr-21-2004, 5:49pm
Indeed a great site!

Thanks Kasper and Eugene for making us aware of this.

Best,

Alex

PS. Jim, the William Place Jr. is the only one that does not work...

Jim Garber
Apr-21-2004, 6:30pm
PS. Jim, the William Place Jr. is the only one that does not work...
I emailed the site (does Kaspar have anything to do with it except toi refer it to Eugene?) about the Place pdf. I hope they speak some English.

It is frustrating (for me) that there are so many sites in Japanese with no translation.

Jim

Jack Roberts
Apr-21-2004, 7:54pm
Um...I can't play mandolin very well, but I am fluent in Japanese. #If you need any help, let me know. #

I looked at the sheet music page, and the Japanese is, as you would expect, the Japanese names for the pieces. #For example, "O solo mio" is "Watashi no Taiyo" or "My Sun".

"The Artistic Techniques for Playing the Mandolin" pages are still under construction, but what I've read so far is background of the mandolin as a classical instrument. #They dismiss American mandolin makers by pointing out they are mostly concerned with bluegrass. #The only two makers they mention are Gibson and Ovation (?!).

If there is anything that looks interesting, give me the link and I'll tell you what is says in general terms. #(I won't be able to take the time to make a word for word translation.)

yoroshiku

Jack

Jim Garber
Apr-21-2004, 9:23pm
Thanks Jack for the offer:

First, what are these "Corumns For Mandolinist"? They look like they may be various articles about mandolin playing. In the second one there are links for mini files played lightning fast for Dounis adaptation of Paganini's Moto Perpetuo (there is also a pdf for it). Not sure what purpose those midis are for except to intimidate someone.

I figured out what the repertory pages are.

Jim

Jack Roberts
Apr-21-2004, 11:27pm
"Corumns" is, of course, Columns, as in articles, so your ascertation is correct. #
The first column is a general piece on being a classical mandolinist in Japan, the second column discusses what is involved in becomming an accomplished mandolinist. #

Just before the fast playing the author "MOM" (Man of the Mandolin) writes "Speed in playing has no relationship to musicality"

But he goes on to say that #"'how many notes can a mandolinist play in one minute' has been a question that has been discussed among mandolinists" and then he goes on to give the examples.

I agree with MOM that speed has nothing to do with musicality. #I also agree with you: speed is often used for intimidation...

I am going to Japan on Saturday to meet with my (only) customer (Japan Nuclear Fuel Industries) on Sunday. #I expect to have Monday off, so I will try to give MOM a phone call.

Jack

Jack Roberts
Apr-21-2004, 11:46pm
P.S. I just wrote MOM an e-mail (in Japanese) inviting him to visit the Mandolin Cafe.

Jack

RSW
Apr-22-2004, 6:55am
Other than having been one of the great mandolinists of all times, Dounis had a greater career as a violin (viola/cello) pedogogue. The adaption of Paganini's "moto perpetuo" in octaves, posted on this website, was written to challenge violinists and certainly not mandolinists. The technique is called 'fingered octaves' and is relatively modern mainstay of the virtuoso violinist's technique. Other than this oddity, this site forks up a lot of great music and a few that I have never seen before. Bravo to the Japanese to preserve and make available this music.

Jim Garber
Apr-23-2004, 6:31pm
MOM answered my email. He corrected the link to the Place piece. It is now available. I sent him a few scans of pieces he was looking for and he sent me some as well.

Jim

Alex Timmerman
Apr-24-2004, 1:21am
Thanks Jim!

Alex

Eugene
Apr-26-2004, 9:00am
Tres chic, Jim. Will he be posting these new scans you have sent and you, he?

Jim Garber
Apr-26-2004, 9:08am
No clue about what M.O.M wil do. I think he has a pretty extensive library.

Jim

JimD
Apr-28-2004, 6:04am
Is anyone else having trouble with this site?

I can't seem to get past the first page.

Any suggestions?

sailaway
May-01-2004, 6:57am
Jim- on some computers , when you access this site, the computer learns there are japanese characters on the site and wants you to have the japanese language subset installed -- as the 2nd column is apparently the Japanese names of the English titles for songs in the 1st column. On a windows machine , you should be able to access the site nonetheless. Just hit 'no' on whether to install the japanese, you should still be able to read all the other columns and links. By the way, the 'Traumerei' on this site looks interesting but is far different from the Traumerei' that I know. And still no Bach inventions up ! que triste..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Eugene
May-03-2004, 11:52am
FYI, Pettine did a nice solo mandolin arrangement of Traumerei.