PDA

View Full Version : "Eight More Miles to Louisville"

doublestop
Jan-29-2004, 7:09pm
Okay, I've been listening to the Sam Bush version of "8 More Miles to Louisville" (in G). I've slopped a little solo together, but I've reached a stand still and would like a few more embellishments. Does anyone have it tabbed out or their own version that they can send me? Any tips would be appreciated and put to good use!

Darren
Jan-30-2004, 9:55am
There is a version of this tune on Co-Mando by Jimmy Gaudreau under the Tabedit files. It might help you out some.

OldSausage
Feb-22-2013, 3:03pm
Here you go. Sorry it took 9 years.

MyName1sMud
Mar-02-2013, 11:35pm
^^^ At least you came through right? haha!

John MacPhee
Mar-03-2013, 12:22am
Hey David while you are at it i don't suppose you have the notation by chance?
Regards
Maccka (John)

OldSausage
Mar-03-2013, 1:22am
What do you want, blood? Here it is then:

John MacPhee
Mar-03-2013, 2:30am
Silly Old Sausage. Thanks very much David, i appreciate it.
Cheers and Best Regards
Maccka

dang
Mar-03-2013, 8:22am
What do you want, blood?

I think there is an age old saying about not trying to squeeze blood from a sausage

UsuallyPickin
Mar-03-2013, 11:18am
And there is indeed "Blood Sausage" . THough I have not tried it. One of the things about 8 More Miles is to time the pauses. Luck.. R/

Willie Poole
Mar-04-2013, 11:56am
Just heard it last night on a re-run of Hee-Haw and it seems so easy that trying to learn it by ear shouldn`t be very hard at all, Grand Pa Jones didn`t play any thing complicated, did he?

OldSausage
Mar-04-2013, 5:06pm
Just heard it last night on a re-run of Hee-Haw and it seems so easy that trying to learn it by ear shouldn`t be very hard at all, Grand Pa Jones didn`t play any thing complicated, did he?

Sam Bush does a very particular solo in his version, and that's what I've transcribed above, not the Grandpa Jones version.

Mike Bunting
Mar-04-2013, 7:37pm
But you didn't put the changes in!

OldSausage
Mar-04-2013, 10:24pm
That's what that stuff in the space between your ears is for :)

HRdGtxCB-8k

farmerjones
Mar-06-2013, 8:34am
Grand Pa Jones didn`t play any thing complicated, did he?

You know he did Willie. That pup changes chords every beat. Sorta like Arkansas Traveler, or Black Hairy Possum (blackberry blossum).

I like 8 More Miles, just as good or better'n any of the aforementioned. If a fellar can cross-pick to sorta imitate a finger picked guitar, that might be the treatment.

AlanN
Mar-06-2013, 8:46am
One of the last decade posts mentioned the Gaudreau version. Niles' book of Gaudreau solos listed this one, including the dim lick he ends it with. Very nice, indeed.

Pete Jenner
Feb-12-2015, 12:09am
David, if that's the Bush version, what's this (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=eight+more+miles&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=) version?

I can't make your version sound like the song at all. Am I missing something?

jonny250
Feb-14-2015, 9:06am
Pete the version David posted sounds pretty much like the sam bush version to my ears whereas the tabledit one is quite different imo.

its a cool song alright. :)

Pete Jenner
Feb-14-2015, 11:02am
Thanks Jonny, I'll keep working on it.

johnbaxter
Feb-28-2015, 4:05am
David, if that's the Bush version, what's this (http://www.mandozine.com/music/search_results.php?searchfor=eight+more+miles&tuneselectby=C&mandolevel=&category=&songkey=&artist=&transcriber=&sortby=T&sortorder=A&submit=) version?

I can't make your version sound like the song at all. Am I missing something?

The version on Mandozine is by Jimmy Gaudreau from his "The Gaudreau Mandolin Album"

Russ Jordan
Nov-18-2021, 1:10pm
circling back to Jimmy Gaudreau's version. The whole album is worth listening to---Eight More Miles To Louisville is at about the 23:00 mark.

https://youtu.be/kC_NoLEnNfM

eightmoremiles
Nov-18-2021, 7:15pm
It has been almost eighteen years since this thread started. In view of my 'title' on the cafe, I feel compelled to respond, as I am sure there are many who have been waiting for my feedback. I really like 'Eight More Miles to Louisville", be it by Sam, or Gaudreau or whomever. My favorite, however, was hearing Grandpa and Ramona do it live, on stage, in Louisville KY my home town. There, I said it!

mandocrucian
Nov-20-2021, 10:20am
One of the last decade posts mentioned the Gaudreau version. Niles' book of Gaudreau solos listed this one, including the dim lick he ends it with. Very nice, indeed.

(1980)

JeffD
Nov-22-2021, 1:26pm
It has been almost eighteen years since this thread started. In view of my 'title' on the cafe, I feel compelled to respond, as I am sure there are many who have been waiting for my feedback. I really like 'Eight More Miles to Louisville", be it by Sam, or Gaudreau or whomever. My favorite, however, was hearing Grandpa and Ramona do it live, on stage, in Louisville KY my home town. There, I said it!

I am going to have to agree with you.

And to answer Willy back in 2013
Grand Pa Jones didn`t play any thing complicated, did he?

No more complicated than it needed to be. :)

Russ Jordan
Nov-22-2021, 2:34pm
from the cafe archives:

https://youtu.be/FY3aURBM0Og