PDA

View Full Version : Midmo Nut Widths

RobP
Sep-15-2006, 11:18am
Hey Gang,

I have searched a bit and found some info on this topic, but here is my question. #I am likely going to buy a Midmo as a second mandolin/office mandolin soon.

My main mandolin is a Rigel, with a 1-3/16ths nut width

The standard Midmo is 1-1/8. #I have played some of these in a store and the feel ok.

The models I am interested in I can only find available in the wide width, 1-1/4. #I have not played any with this width. #That is 1/16 wider than I am used to.

I could either call midmo and order direct from them, or wait until a dealer has what I want in the standard width.

How much difference do you all think I would feel with the wider fretboard?

Thanks

Rob

glauber
Sep-15-2006, 12:18pm
Probably not much, your Rigel is already almost that wide. Can you try one out in the store?

an uncalloused fingertip
Sep-16-2006, 4:27pm
My first Mid-Mo had a wide-neck. But due to my lack of attention, it was broken beyond repair. I recently replaced it with another Mid-Mo with the same tonewoods, ordered directly from the company. Forgot to specify whether I wanted a wide or standard neck. The instrument I received had a standard neck. To me ... it is more comfortable. The neck seems rounder; for some reason, my thumb stays where it is supposed to - and not creep over the top of the neck. But it could just be my imagination - or new instrument glow. It if didn't make a difference, they wouldn't offer the option.

I DEFINATELY would recommend ordering directly from Mid-Mo. I did so for the second one, and I received an instrument that 1) no one else had their hands/picks on or into (the soundboard), 2)was more affordable than when purchased through a dealer, 3)allowed me to have options (such as differnet tuners), and 4)had the prettier stock of wood, which they typically reserve for individual orders.

Just call Mid-Mo and ask for Mike Dudak, who the owner. He'll be able to tell you the difference and answer other questions you might have.

P.S. - If you order direct, you can get a pretty good deal on a custom-fit hardshell case. It fits the Mid-Mo like a (tight)glove with no room for the shifting whatsoever. The flat-top mandolins (Mid-Mo, Weber, etc.)are typically a little smaller than your typical A-style, so keep this in mind when assuming that a standard case will have that fit. - But if you just want an inexpensive gig bag you can buy through a major company, TKL makes a zipped bag for about $25 that also fits this instrument snugly. But I'd definately get the hardshell.

Martin Jonas
Sep-16-2006, 6:09pm
I find that I don't mind different nut widths an awful lot. I have a Mid-Mo with the wide option, an F5-clone with a standard width, my main bowlback has an ultra-narrow nut (well under an inch) and a radiused fretboard and my cittern has a super-wide nut. I get along with them all just fine and don't seem to have too much trouble switching.

By all means go for what suits you best if you have the choice, but don't pull out of an otherwise great deal because of the "wrong" nut width.

Martin
(My opinion only, your mileage may vary)