PDA

View Full Version : John Paul Jones circa 1971

jefflester
Sep-14-2006, 9:00pm
I'm trying to identify this mandolin that John Paul Jones played with Zeppelin in 1971 and 1972. Any ideas? I've checked the list at emando and nothing seemed to match, nothing has the volume/tone controls on the pickguard like this.

jefflester
Sep-14-2006, 9:00pm
Another pic:

jefflester
Sep-14-2006, 9:01pm
And one more:

Givson
Sep-15-2006, 11:33am
Looks German: Hofner or Framus perhaps?

Lee
Sep-15-2006, 11:33am
Maybe it's a modified acoustic?? #The pickguard added to attach the tone and volume controls rather than drilling into the top. #Probably weren't many e-mandos existing in '71-'72.
Ask down in the emando forum,

AlanN
Sep-15-2006, 11:38am
In the top photo, he is doing what we all do: tune.

Markelberry
Sep-18-2006, 1:56pm
Well I enjoyed the mandolin playin he did on the live double disc and just learned Battle of Evermore,I have a pickin buddy that rocks out and now hes a mandolin lover too! Its a gettin us all!

Tom C
Sep-18-2006, 2:37pm
At first glance it remined me of "Airline". Here is a pic of one from Elderly.
Headstock and pickguard is a little different. But it's probably from the same company that made this also.

http://www.elderly.com/items/images/90U/90U-3090_front_sm_.jpg

mrmando
Sep-19-2006, 12:29pm
Thanks for the photos ... I haven't seen that particular JPJ mando before. He had a stable of 'em. The body shape does suggest Kay, Airline et al. ... brand names for Chicago factory-built stuff. However, I don't think I've ever seen one of those Chicago mandolins with a snakehead headstock like that. It does not look particularly German to me; most German acoustic/electric have cat's-eye soundholes rather than F-holes. It could, of course, be a Kay that was renecked and customized, or even something an individual luthier built for JPJ. I guess it looks a bit too unsophisticated to be an early Manson Bros. instrument, but it might be.

mrmando
Sep-19-2006, 12:48pm
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140031144756) is a lovely Chicago-built Kay-lookin' instrument with the knobs on the pickguard. Nice pickup too. Headstock and inlay don't match JPJ's instrument, though. Support for the "renecked Kay" theory?