PDA

View Full Version : Harmony anyone?

Perry
Apr-21-2004, 12:03pm
Here's one of my first cracks at writing out a harmony line. It's the fiddle tune Red Haired Boy. The melody is close to Thile's instructional DVD/video version. The harmony is different then the version in Tottle's book. The differences have to do mainly with the way the 5th note of the scale is harmonized. i.e. I chose to do mulitple A notes is a row. It sounds okay becuase I can play back the sheet music in "Finale".

I can e-mail a midi file of either part if interested.
Corrections suggestions are welcomed.

perry

Tom C
Apr-21-2004, 1:31pm
Hi Perry,
Sorry I'm the first to reply http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

#I was just going thru some old mandolin-world news. And Niles has a good article
on creating a tenor harmony part. For basics, he suggests writing out the melody.
Then just concern yourself with 1,3,5 and convert them to 3,5,1. Then go back and fill in the rest. He does mention that some notes do not fit in perfectly and may go a little away from a major 3rd up. He uses Salt Creek as an example so I will have to pick a different one to work on. Maybe Nauraushaun Creek.
I will copy it for you.

Perry
Apr-22-2004, 6:30am
tom

yes i'd liek to see the article and salt creek harmony...i am working on Fisher's Hornpipe....