PDA

View Full Version : waverly tuners

GTison
Apr-21-2004, 10:25am
I would like the opinions of those of you who have them. Are they really that good. Why? What can they do that the others can't.

sunburst
Apr-21-2004, 10:43am
In a word, no. They are very good, probably the best, but I don't think they're $that$ good.
1, As was pointed out by John Monteleone, the adjustment bushing is on the wrong side. The tension of the string when tuning causes the little backlash adjustment to loosen if it's not locked in place with loctite.
2, The buttons tend to work loose if the screws that hold them on aren't locked with loctite.
3, too heavy IMO
4, finish is not as good as I would expect for that price.

As I said, they are very good tuners, but when you charge that much more than the norm for a product, I feel like you invite criticizm if anything is not the best it can be.

AlanN
Apr-21-2004, 11:12am
Yes, they are. They work perfectly and are a vast improvement to anything out there, and this is my humble opinion.

Scotti Adams
Apr-21-2004, 12:07pm
.yes they are good..but I have to go with John on this one..I had a set on my Gil..although they looked and played the part..I dont think $400 better...

AlanN
Apr-21-2004, 1:08pm
Invalid analogy - you know that in this crazy thing called mandolin world, $$ value (more or less) is un-quantifiable, in many cases.

BigJoe
Apr-21-2004, 1:45pm
We have worked with Grover to help make a new set of mandolin tuners that are really good. Personally I like them better than Waverly's. I think they work better and hold much better. They are quite a bit less also. They are an 18:1 ratio instead of 14:1 so they hold a little snugger. So far they are only available from Gibson Bluegrass Showcase...if we have any in stock. Some of our newer mandolins are going to be using them as the stock tuner. I think you will like them very much! Best tuner I've ever seen.

sunburst
Apr-21-2004, 3:07pm
Big Joe,
I've been eagerly awaiting the arival of the Grover/Gibson tuner on the market. Are they here?

Martin
Apr-21-2004, 5:30pm
Any pics avaialable?

Hunter
Apr-22-2004, 8:58am
Yo Big Joe,
You guys at Gibson need to fill the "ebony button void", and have Grover spec your new mandolin tuners with ebony buttons as an option. I'd buy a set, actually, I'd buy two sets. You may also want to consider nickel buttons and tortoise buttons, too.
Keith

GTison
Apr-22-2004, 9:40am
so, I saw this sam bush model the other day brand new. what kind of tuners did it have the new grovers? or Waverly? they were def. different than the tuners on my 02 fern. I like the looks but I figured 400 to change... I don't think. but then again alan makes a point about $ vs. sense.

John Zimm
Apr-22-2004, 9:47am
You guys at Gibson need to fill the "ebony button void", and
I agree-ebony buttons are beautiful. #That would look great on any Gibson.

-John.

JD Cowles
Apr-22-2004, 1:00pm
hey bigjoe-

what are the differences between the gibson/grovers and regular grovers? i upgraded my mando to the grovers (i like the 18:1 gearing too) and love them. just curious. oh yeah, if you make them ebony buttons i'll take a set!

jd

Charlie Derrington
Apr-22-2004, 2:33pm
All.....

Joe is in surgery today and won't be back for a few days. We think he's OK, but a few prayers would be in order.

Charlie

Kevin K
Apr-22-2004, 2:52pm
Charlie,

What's Joe in surgery for?

My prayers are with him.

Kevin K

levin4now
Apr-23-2004, 8:27pm
what are the differences between the gibson/grovers and regular grovers? #
[levin4now begs forgiveness for the joke to follow...]

...the Gibson Grovers could be called "Super Grovers" (as announced by the character 'Super' Grover on Sesame Street....sorry, but he was the BEST)

evanreilly
Apr-23-2004, 8:46pm
I am pretty sure that Rolfe Gerhardt is using the new Grover tuning machines on his Phoenix mandolins. Here is a set on my new Phoenix, with black, non-ebony, buttons.
I don't know if they are the same as the Gibson 'Super-Grovers', but they sure work well & feel real snug.
Rolfe adds the white teflon spacer, which probably adds a good bit to their smoothness.

BigJoe
Apr-23-2004, 10:22pm
We will try to post a picture in the near future. Ours do not have the black shafts and the ends are different and sized to fit our mandolins without all the hangover on the bottom as the regular ones do. We spent a good deal of time getting them made the way we wanted. We love them. They are showing up on the newer mandolins, but I have no idea which ones have which tuners on them. It is new enough that some of the instruments on the shelf would probably have the older style schallers.

We are going to try to get some ebony buttons for them and when we do they will be available. The tuners are available now but I don't have pricing at the moment. I am at home. Hopefully I will be back in the shop on Monday and will try to get the prices for you.

goose 2
Apr-24-2004, 12:04am
Does anyone have an informed opinion about how the sound of a mandolin might change if you had a lighter weight set of tuners? Waverly tuners are noticeably heavier than others that I know of. A friend recently changed out tuners for a much lighter weight set on his 1970's D-28 and man did that make a fantastic change to that already pretty darn good sounding guitar! I currently have Waverlys on my mandolin and really like them and feel that they are superior to anything I have yet tried. I have not yet tried the new Grovers.

evanreilly
Apr-24-2004, 6:51am
BigJoe:
Maybe OAI can persuade Grover to offer real MOP buttons for their new tuners. Their shafts are two flat & two rounded sides; makes for a tough fit of other buttons.
Hope you feeling better; at least up to pickin' your manalin....

GTison
Apr-24-2004, 8:45pm
"super Grover" reminds me of the muppet of the same name. I believe the new sam bush i saw the other day had this kind of tuner on it they looked very nice. I liked the way the screws were in the end of the buttons.

BigJoe
Apr-24-2004, 11:28pm
Pearl Buttons are an option, however, they are not cheap. If you want them, I'm sure we can get them but be prepared to get a second mortgage http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

evanreilly
Apr-25-2004, 10:59am
BigJoe:
I had seen a prototype of a grained ivoroid button for the new Grovers; is that going to be available, as far as you know.
I emailed Grover some time ago about MOP buttons for their new tuners, but was told 'Not Available'; have they changed their mind & decided to offer them??

grsnovi
Apr-25-2004, 4:03pm
Evan,

I'm not sure, but I suspect what Grover might tell you or I is probably different from what they'd tell Joe or Charlie...

evanreilly
Apr-25-2004, 7:58pm
More'n likely!!!

Lee
Apr-25-2004, 9:01pm
I'm hoping to hear some good news about BigJoe

BigJoe
Apr-25-2004, 10:10pm
Thank you for asking about me. I am doing fine. The procedure was pretty simple, though it was in the spine. It seems to have worked, though we won't know for sure for a couple weeks. I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. That's what makes friends so wonderful http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Charlie Derrington
Apr-25-2004, 10:11pm
Gary, you are most certainly correct. I think they call it "Economy of Scale". We build a lot of mandolins and Grover was quite happy to get a call from me.

Lee, Joe is well enough to be posting here.

I ate lunch with him yesterday and he actually drove. He's up and about gaining more lower body function every day. He's too modest to talk about it himself, but I'll keep you folks posted on his progress. Joe holds very strong opinions (and certainly isn't one to keep those opinions to himself), but I really love that big lug and worry about him greatly. I actually don't know how I'd operate without him.

Charlie

PS.... JOE, GO TO BED.