PDA

View Full Version : Railroad Earth- comin at ya!

gaylekauf
Sep-12-2006, 10:32pm
Hello friends! We are very close to completing our tour schedule for the rest of the year, and want to make sure you are all up on the latest news... We'll be greeting Fall in the midwest, swinging through the Southeast, and playing a couple of very special "hometown" holiday gigs to wrap it all up (those of you who have been to past Halloween celebrations know that Railroad Earth knows how to REALLY spook it up- so book your flights, fill your gas tanks, and join us for a wild weekend in NJ!!).

If you haven't already gotten a copy of our recently released LIVE (double!) album, Elko, you should check it out- available in stores and online through our website www.railroadearth.com, or media sites like amazon.com.

And now you can download some truly spectacular live soundboard recordings of select shows from 2006 at nugs.net. We're just getting rolling, so check back for new shows added!

please help us spread the word to all your music loving friends and neighbors, and hope to see you on the rails!

9.15+16 VA RHYTHM AND ROOTS (BRISTOL)
9.19.06 IN THE MUSIC MILL (INDIANAPOLIS)
9.21.06 MN FINE LINE MUSIC CAFÉ (MINNEAPOLIS)
9.22.06 IL PARK WEST (CHICAGO)
9.24.06 WV MOUNTAIN STAGE (BLUEFIELD)
9.26.06 SC POUR HOUSE (CHARLESTON)
9.27.06 NC LINCOLN THEATER (RALEIGH)
9.28.06 NC NEIGHBORHOOD THEATRE (CHARLOTTE)
9.29.06 GA VARIETY PLAYHOUSE (ATLANTA)
9.30.06 NC ORANGE PEEL (ASHEVILLE)
10.5.06 MA PARADISE ROCK CLUB (BOSTON)
10.6.06 NH COLONIAL THEATER (KEENE)
10.7.06 TO BE ANNOUNCED
10.21.06 CA JOSHUA TREE MUSIC FEST (JOSHUA TREE)
10.28.06 NJ STARLAND BALLROOM (SAYREVILLE)
11.24.06 NJ WHITNEY CHAPEL (HACKETTSOWN)
11.25.06 NY BEACON THEATER (w/Hot Tuna)
12.31.06 TO BE ANNOUNCED
1.2-7.07 JAMCRUISE 5 (CARRIBEAN)

DryBones
Sep-13-2006, 8:35am
dang commercials! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

mingusb1
Sep-13-2006, 10:35am
Book a plane ticket to go see those guys?!

You've got to be kidding...

Sorry, but 1 good spam deserves another.

DryBones
Sep-13-2006, 11:47am
I wonder what the official word is on advertising bands on this site? I would think everybody would be doing if it was ok. This one pops up about once a month or so.

Paul Kotapish
Sep-13-2006, 11:58am
I don't mind seeing concert notices on the boards, but I refrain from posting such notices myself, and I do think that such "upcoming mando gig" notices should have a dedicated section of their own.

I wrote to Scott about this on a couple of occasions but never heard a reply--I know he can't always keep up with the huge flow of info that gets thrown at him.

But it does raise an interesting question about the message boards here. Is it appropriate to post gig notices for events where the mandolin will be featured? Festival and workshop notices get posted, but how about "ads" for upcoming concerts by individual acts?

DryBones
Sep-13-2006, 12:00pm
How about an area in the Classifieds for this?

Also, I wouldn't mind it so much if it was an active member of the site talking about his/her band but this is not an active member, just an advertiser.

Fred G
Sep-14-2006, 11:33am
it would probably annoy me more if I did not like RRE, but I agree with Jason.

ira
Sep-14-2006, 11:56am
ok- i'll be the active member-
rre rocks and john skehan is a great mando player, who periodically has andy gossling chime in as a second mando player (he is also the banjo, dobro, rythm guitarist and flautist).
posts don't bother me as they can inform me of what and who is coming around. as long as they have mando it would be appropriate imho. just skip the thread if its of issue.
i have discovered tons of people through these kinds of postings, and it would be a shame to dismiss them. think about jim moss- not a mando player, who primarily posts here with frank wakefield news- and tour listings.
any way just my 2.

TeleMark
Sep-14-2006, 12:27pm
I dunno... It seems that gigs are as scarce as hens' teeth around here, and I don't see the big deal with having a landing place for this type of thing. Other music boards I belong to usually have a "calendar" page where concerts, meets, etc., can be listed.

It's not like it's spam cluttering up your inbox. I'm frankly confused about people who get worked up about some threads. If you aren't interested, why are you taking time out of your day to click on the thread, read it, and then post a comment? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

mandofish
Sep-14-2006, 1:46pm
That's a good point, TeleMark... just pretend your mouse is a TV remote, and change the channel! There are plenty of threads that I bypass every day for any number of reasons. It's not too hard to ignore something that doesn't interest me.

I will say, though, that it might be nice to have a separate section of the board for announcements such as this. Oftentimes I like (need?) to know where and when I can go hear some good music, even if the mando is sort of a "side" instrument (as it might be considered w/ RRE).

Scott Tichenor
Sep-14-2006, 7:41pm
I don't have a problem with this as a topic. All kinds of arguments can be made about what might happen if every band would post their touring schedules but the reality is, they won't. If you go back and do a search of all of the threads started by the topic starter here you'll be hard pressed to find many that get in excess of 100 page views. Not such a productive use of time for all of the potential eyeballs out here. It's fairly clear to me that most people have figured that out and don't post their schedules.

I also agree it's more productive to simply not visit threads when you know you don't want to read the content. There are all kinds of lines crossed on a daily basis bordering on overly self-promotion and selling. Sometimes the topics are interesting, sometimes they're annoying--all depending on your opinion, and as you can see, those swing both ways here. Bottom line, this thread is within the bounds in my opinion.

As far as an area dedicated to the subject matter of touring calendars I'd have to say in about 7-8 years of running this that I don't think there's enough interest or need to create yet another topic area for that purpose.

ira
Sep-14-2006, 7:47pm
amen!

gaylekauf
Sep-15-2006, 11:26am
Hey all- my apologies if my occassional news updates aren't welcome here. When I first started posting our tour dates and news on this forum, I got good feedback from people who were happy to have a quick reference point for it. I try to keep my posts to a minimum (a few times a year) because any more than that would be obnoxious! I know, too, that a few members of the Railroad Earth are active (well, maybe passive) members of this board as well.

I agree that it would be good to have a forum dedicated to ucpoming gig announcements! But I picked the Bluegrass/Newgrass forum because it seemed most appropriate. I'd like to continue posting this information periodically, as long as there are people here who are interested? Please let me know.

Gayle

jim simpson
Sep-15-2006, 5:53pm
Gayle,
It sounds like no problem with Scott and others, likewise for me. I am not familiar with RRE but if FredG likes them then I would be inclined to check them out. So don't be a stranger!
Jim

gaylekauf
Sep-17-2006, 11:03pm
Thanks Jim! What state are you in? (I mean, GEOGRAPHICALLY) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

drelb
Sep-18-2006, 9:46am
I'll be at the Pour House concert in Charleston. Can't wait!!!

jim simpson
Sep-18-2006, 10:37pm
What state are you in? (I mean, GEOGRAPHICALLY) - Gayle

I am glad you clarified that. PA outside of Philadelphia.
Jim

cgwilsonjr
Sep-25-2006, 4:21pm
Gayle: I think RRE are great. Todd and the boys rock. Chuck