PDA

View Full Version : Dueling Festivals

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-20-2004, 9:48pm
The Oregon Bluegrass Association is sponsoring a festival in July, 9 thru 12, mandolin content, Jake Jolliff will be playing. 8 good bands, a band contest, watermelon seed spitting contest, you know all the traditional festival stuff. This has been in the works for a year, scheduled, advertized with lots of planning. Today I get an email advertizing a festival on July 10th just an hour away from the OBA festival. A promoter from Portland has put this together. Well to make a long story short, I'm a little peeved. Thought I might get some input from cooler heads before I cloud up and rain all over their heads. Ya just don't pull on Santa's Beard.

tiltman
Apr-21-2004, 10:49am
I haven't heard anything about this but I'm with you.
Kirk Miller
Portland, OR
OBA Member http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Apr-21-2004, 11:22am
Is there something I'm missing? #What is the problem? #At the peak festival season, there are many festivals competing in some parts of the country.

garyblanchard
Apr-21-2004, 11:54am
Perhaps those who attend the one-day event on the 10th will get in the mood for more which will send them to the OGA festival.

Clyde Clevenger
Apr-21-2004, 12:53pm
I don't have a problem with competition, normally. Here in the Northwest there is a fairly small pool of fans to draw from. Enough for a successfull festival, but not enough for two on the same weekend within an hour of each other.
Promoters only hope to break even, and usually do. Both will lose this weekend. I've been told that back East, in the Festival belt, there is a 4 hour rule, unwritten but strickly enforced.

Apr-21-2004, 12:58pm
Thanks. #I don't know about the four hour rule but I'm not in the promotion business. #I also haven't checked travel times between festivals but I'd bet there is an "exception" for Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day. #

Still, I wouldn't want anyone to lose money trying to make good music available. #Good Luck.