PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of Gibson A5-L

Buddah
Apr-20-2004, 2:47pm
Howdy all,

I'm thinking about buying a new Gibson A5-L, and would love to get some opinions of this instrument for mainly bluegrass playing, some jazz and celtic. Muchos Gracias!

jom
Apr-20-2004, 2:58pm
I have an old 91 Carlson A5L and I LOVE it for bluegrass playing.

Apr-20-2004, 3:08pm
Uh.....shop around for a good used one, you could save quite a few $$$.

Buddah
Apr-20-2004, 3:56pm
Dale,

Yeah, I know that that would probably be the way to go, but I'm trading in an instrument to Folk of the Wood, and their trade-in policy applies only to new instruments. I was originally pretty set on a Weber Beartooth, but the salesman convinced me that as far as A style mandos go, the Gibson is pretty tough to beat (of course, it costs quite a bit more than the Weber).
I'd be curious to get your (and others) opinion on how the Gibson A5-L compares to the afore-mentioned Weber.

Thanks for your responses!

Apr-20-2004, 4:43pm
If you don't mind me asking, what are you trading in?

Buddah
Apr-20-2004, 5:24pm
Dale,

I'm trading in a sunburst finish Breedlove Cascade. I had it for about three months (maybe not enough time to give it a fair shot), but it just never seemed to have much "punch" to it. I've played one Gibson A5-L at a local shop, and even very poorly set-up, it has a nice tone to it. I'm guessing that if Folk of the Wood can get the A5 that I'm interested in dialed in, it'll be a pretty good little mando. I was told that the wood that Gibson uses, and the "tuned" tone-bar bracing would make it the more appropriate bluegrass choice vs. the Weber. Any thoughts?

Frank Russell
Apr-20-2004, 9:45pm
Save yourself some hard-earned dough and try an A9. I have yet to find a new A5L that sounds any better than my year-old A9. Just a thought. Frank

Buddah
Apr-21-2004, 3:15am
Frussell,

I'd normally consider the A9 (or a number of other less expensive options), but the terms of FOTW's trade-up policy require that I go with something at least as expensive as the Breedlove that I'm sending back. A little frustrating in that respect, but they'll give me exactly what I paid for the instrument that I'm trading, and I should be able to get a pretty nice mando for a relatively small "follow up" investment. So that's my situation. I'll probably wind up going with the A5-L, as it should meet my needs pretty well. I would like to know how it stacks up against the less expensive Weber Beartooth however.

Apr-21-2004, 8:08am
I've never played a Beartooth. I believe it has a radiused fretboard. You will be going back to a flat fretboard & 1 1/8" width with an A5L. I understand your trade in situation. If I may ask, how much is a new A5L & have you considered a Collings?

Ken Berner
Apr-21-2004, 9:38am
I purchased a '99 Weber Beartooth (X-braced) new, and have a close friend who owns a '96 Gibson A5-L (tone bars). The Gibson is a fine instrument and has a totally different sound than the Weber, the latter having a warmer tone. When I first heard the Gibson it was strung with medium strings and sounded terrific, but with light strings, sounds very thin and tinny. The Weber can be changed tonewise by utilizing a bridge other than the original Brekke, but STE will build your Beartooth with tone bars if you so desire! Quality-wise, they are equal in my honest, humble opinion

jlb
Apr-21-2004, 1:51pm
m actually in the same boat as Buddah here with FOTW, and while I think FOTW trade-back policy is really cool, in terms of mandolins, you're really stuck with the new products they sell, which does not include Collings. #For upgrades to non-Pac Rim instruments, you basically have Gibson, Weber, Pheonix, Breedlove, and Rigel to choose from. #Some good quality instruments to choose from, to be sure, but if you want something else, you're basically out of luck.

Again, not a knock at FOTW because I do think it is a great policy, and even helps people who initially buy Pac-Rim to updgrade eventually to American w/out losing their initial investment. # Just worth it to keep in mind you are limited to their line of mandolins.

I think I may end up upgrading to a Gallagher guitar.

Loosely related and perhaps of interest is I hear FOTW is about to become a full-line Martin dealer.

Buddah
Apr-21-2004, 1:57pm
Dale,

A new A5-L is around 3k-roughly the same price as a Collings A (maybe even a few bucks more). Unfortunately, FOTW isn't a Collings dealer, so that pretty much rules it out for me.
I figure that the Gibson will give me a few more options in the future. If I like it, great; if not, it shouldn't be too hard to sell/trade for something else.

Buddah
Apr-21-2004, 2:02pm
jlb,

It'd sure be nice to see FOTW add a few more domestics to their line eh? Pretty tough to beat their trade-up policy though.

jlb
Apr-21-2004, 2:06pm
Yeah...no doubt Gibson, Weber, Pheonix, Breedlove, and Rigel are good names to choose from, but maybe Collings as well as some smaller custom builders would be nice.

I'm actually surprised Old Wave doesn't throw a couple in the FOTW pile since its right in New Mexico together, but I know that there aren't thousands of Old Waves being produced every year.

I've no real experience with the dealership business, so I don't know why one stocks this instrument vs. that instrument, and if there's a problem stocking too many brands.

But if you like guitars, a full line of Martins to upgrade to is certainly nice, in my opinion anyway.

PCypert
Apr-21-2004, 2:20pm
Hey man,
Sounds like you're too locked in to that trade up policy. It sure does make things easy, but it seems to be causing a headache. I would say it's really, really, worth considering taking a small hit on your instrument and sell it used to someone else either on ebay or the classifieds. Then you'll have a world of options including used A9's (very cheap), a Collings MT (drool), or any other mando of your choice. Heck you could even get a nice F from a small builder. It's nice to go through people you trust and have dealt with before. But sounds like you're kind of limited in what you're looking for. If it were me I'd kick in a couple extra bucks if I was stuck going through FOTW and get a Pheonix. Any model.
Paul

jlb
Apr-21-2004, 2:26pm
Don't know if you're speaking to me or Buddah, but one thing I've noticed lately is that in terms of mandolins e-bay is fetching some pretty low prices recently...I mean way low in some cases. And alot of used mandos that are advertised are just not moving.

Why take a hit in the wallet and the pain in the butt of dealing with a private buyer?

PCypert
Apr-21-2004, 2:45pm
Hey,
Was just suggesting that route to broaden your options. Peronally I think FOTW charges a little too much up front to help fund their trade up policy. I'd say get out now and get in on a good mando at a great price somewhere else. Or get a Phoenix from FOTW. When you have your own cash in hand you have a lot more options is all I'm saying picky buyers and all. There are some plus and minus things on both sides of the equation. I've had great trades and dealings with people online. Got some great mandos at hundreds off what a lot of stores sell them for. Not everyone has had such luck, but oh well. Talk to Dale or Ken C or someone else here on the board about what they can work out with you. Might be worth a shot.
Paul

Buddah
Apr-21-2004, 3:11pm
I was definitely tempted to go the "private" sell/buy route, but I've been so disappointed in the Breedlove, I'd feel bad selling it to someone at the price that I need to get for it. Hence, the need to deal with FOTW. That's one positive in going through a major dealer; you don't feel like you're screwing somebody when you send back an instrument that you're unhappy with.
A gibson in hand should open things up for future sales /trades.

Yeah jlb, I noticed the same sort of general depreciation of mando prices on e-bay and elsewhere. Like you said, why take the hit if you don't have to?

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Apr-21-2004, 4:26pm
This is funny.......

but I'm trading in an instrument to Folk of the Wood, and their trade-in policy applies only to new instruments. I was originally pretty set on a Weber Beartooth, but the salesman convinced me that as far as A style mandos go, the Gibson is pretty tough to beat (of course, it costs quite a bit more than the Weber).

I wonder why the SALESMAN would venture that opinion.....???

Buddah
Apr-21-2004, 6:03pm
I know, I know;pretty transparent salesmanship. On the other hand, I am looking for a good bluegrass mando, and the Gibson should be that.

Jim M.
Apr-21-2004, 9:15pm
As long as you are in that price range, I'd suggest looking at the F9 and the Phoenix. I've played both next to an A5 and liked them both better.

Apr-21-2004, 10:11pm
Well, I know what I would do but this is a very slippery slope for me as a dealer to comment on. There has been some very sound advice in the above posts. I believe I'd try to sell the Breedlove first. Then try every mando I could before making the next purchase. Tell us where you are located & someone here might possibly be close by or can recommend some good stores in your area.

BigJoe
Apr-22-2004, 12:11am
I don't know what they are selling the A5L for, but they are a great mandolin and they list for $4200.00. They sound as good as the F models but no scroll. They are finished just like the Fern and, if new, have a lifetime warranty. Makes a great mandolin.

jom
Apr-22-2004, 6:36am
I will reiterate that I love my Gibson A5L. I've played mine, and a used A5G, ans both were wonderful bluegrass mandolins. I've played two Collings MT's. One was amazing, and the other was not. The Collingses had a very smooth, versatile tone, and based on what I see online would probably be a little easier to resell. The Gibsonses have a certain woof that just steal my heart and ears when it comes to bluegrass. I looked at a lot of instruments before buying the Gibson, and I have no regrets.

But based on an n of 2 in both groups, its hard to say whether these statements are true across the board.

atetone
Apr-22-2004, 10:18am
I have a 1999 A5L and a Sawchyn A5. They are both basically the same kind of mandolin. Therefore, theoretically I don't need both of them.
The problem is that they are both great in different ways and although I would like to sell one of them in order to free up funds for an F4 type of mandolin I can't bring myself to do it.
The Sawchyn is a "better" mandolin in fit and finish, looks and all around versatility, BUT, the A5L has a sound that is Bluegrass, Bluegrass, Bluegrass. I don't know how to describe it, but whatever it is that A5L has it in spades.
Don't get me wrong about the fit and finish of the Gibson either. It is good, but this particular Sawchyn is exceptional for a mandolin in this price range.
The other thing about Gibson is the service. I have just received fabulous service from their warranty department.
From my experience, if it's that Gibson sound that you are after then buy a Gibson. They seem to have it down pretty good.
If you are after a different type of sound then make sure that you know what that sound is before you plunk down the bucks.
You don't need another mandolin that is disappointing to you like the Breedlove is.
I also have a Breedlove Quartz. Definately a different sound. I like it, but obviously it does not suit you.
Don't put the bucks out till you are sure of what sound you want.
I think you need to get out and experiment a bit on as many mandolins as you can find. Take your time.
I would hate to hear that you are disappointed again.

Buddah
Apr-22-2004, 10:58am
Unfortunately (from a mando-tasting standpoint), I live in Alaska. While we have a number of excellent individual luthiers, and a pretty good bluegrass scene, dealerships with good selections of quality mandolins are pretty much non-existent. This sort of forces one into the 'trial and error' method of buying. I'm going to give the Gibson a shot.
Thanks to all for the input-very much appreciated! I'll post back with impressions of the instrument ASAP.

atetone
Apr-22-2004, 11:06am
Yeah Buddah, I also live in a mando-deprived area. If it doesn't come out of the Samick factory no-one stocks it around here.
I have to do the buy it ,then try it, thing too.
The A5L should suit you just fine. I'm sure you will be happy with it.
Hey, it's a Gibson!

Buddah
Apr-23-2004, 12:06am
Yep, and to make matters even worse, when a decent mandolin does happen to make it through the doors of the music store up here, the hacks set it up so poorly that it sounds like a**! #It sits on the rack for months, not because it's a bad mandolin, but because it needs a little love. #The dealership reads this as a lack of interest in mandos in general, and puts the brakes on ordering anything else - a vicious circle. #Anyway, hope to get the Gibson next week (properly set-up from FOTW).